Question for you Auto A/C guys-'94 Suburban

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Lost enough freon in the system to keep the clutch from kicking in. Not being sure what the issue was, I added a can of dye freon. Upon removing the gauge fitting from the high pressure port, that goofy GM valve (no schrader valve) was spritzing freon back out of it. This is the first time that that valve had been used. I screwed the protective cap back on to the valve thinking that I needed to get a replacement for it.

A short time later, for a reason I cannot remember, I went to unscrew that protective cover cap. It was very tight but soon began to unscrew. Lo and behold, unbeknown by me, it was unscrewing the whole valve. The valve shot up and bounced off the under side of the hood and all the freon came rushing out of the system. Fortunately, the valve landed back down on the compressor bracket. It could have shot to the moon.

A week later I obtained a new valve, tightened it with a wrench, evacuated the system and added 5.5 cans of new freon. I think that the original charge had leaked out of that valve because it was only hand tight and that the subsequent leakage from the goofy check valve was only because that valve did not reseat after using it.

Three weeks later, the A/C still works but I am worried. I did not add any oil to the system. Should I go back and add, I think, 11 ounces or was their sufficient oil in the generic freon that I used. I tried to google all this information to no avail. I won't run the A/C until I am confident it has enough oil in it.

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Question for you Auto A/C guys-'94 Suburban

That's a tough one. You certainly lost some but how much is not easy to determine.
When the system is off the majority collects in the evaporator and accumulator with
some in the condenser and compressor.

If installing new components the oil guidelines are: add 3 oz. to accum. 3 oz. to front and 2 oz. to rear evap.,
1 oz. to cond. Compressor, drain oil, if less then 1 oz. add 2 oz, if more then 1 oz. add amount drained.

Without removing and draining components their is no way to accurately tell.

Cans of freon contain no oil.

I would guess you lost no more then 2-3 oz. of oil if that.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Can you have too much oil? The system calls for 11 oz total.

matt167

Captain

Yes, too much oil is bad. Only so much freon and oil can fit in the system and not be over charged, so if you replace some of that space with extra oil, you will will have less freon and thus, less cooling efficiency. Generic freon cans usually have 3oz of oil each unless you specifically buy the cans that have no oil in them, and that is fairly hard to get/ you have to look for it.

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

Well that's a new one on me, never heard of "generic" freon cans with oil in them.
In my business we buy 30 lb. cylinders, they have no oil.

Boomyall if you put 5 1/2 12 oz. cans of freon in, each with 3 oz. of oil, you have WAY too much oil in the system.
Read the can, I'd be really surprised if those 12 oz. cans have 3 oz. of oil in them, but I've been wrong before and
I will be again.

matt167

Captain

I meant " Generic" by. Run of the mill, available at Walmart or anywhere freon cans. EZ, Chill, Artic Freeze and a couple other brands that I can't think of. I just went and checked a 12oz can of Artic Freeze I have.. Lists 1oz of oil. I also have an 18oz can of EZ Chill and it lists 3oz of oil.. Should have checked that first before posting.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I'll have to go back to the store that I got the freon and read the can. I did do a quick check and did not remember seeing anything about oil printed on the can.

Thanks all!

stackz

Master Chief Petty Officer

if you lost enough oil to burn up the compressor, you would have long since burned it up in 3 weeks of good/normal use.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

if you lost enough oil to burn up the compressor, you would have long since burned it up in 3 weeks of good/normal use.

That's the point, stackz. I have NOT used it other than at the point of refill, then for a short test period 3 weeks later. That's why I wanted to get to the bottom of it now.

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

I meant " Generic" by. Run of the mill, available at Walmart or anywhere freon cans. EZ, Chill, Artic Freeze and a couple other brands that I can't think of. I just went and checked a 12oz can of Artic Freeze I have.. Lists 1oz of oil. I also have an 18oz can of EZ Chill and it lists 3oz of oil.. Should have checked that first before posting.
Matt,

No harm no foul. I've been a professional auto a/c man for over 30 yrs. and I learned something, had no idea those little cans had oil in them, just might have to get me some, sounds really handy! ;)