What to do with old fuel

sawbld

Cadet
Hi Folks
I was thinking of taking the un-used fuel from my 2 cycle outboard and use it in my snow blower this winter.
I know the outboard needs to be a special oil but will it hurt using this in a regular old 2 cycle motor.
The mix is the same

Summer Fun

Banned
Re: What to do with old fuel

Nope, You're good to go burning it in the snow blower.

robert graham

Admiral

2 cycle oil for water cooled outboards is some different than 2 cycle oil for a hotter-running air-cooled items like a blowers, chain saws, etc....better check the side of the can for applications and mix ratios. If in doubt, go heavier on the oil....smoke's better than a seized motor!;)

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

My snow blower and chainsaw use high grade 2 stroke oils. Unless the mixture would meet their oil specs, I wouldn't use it.

Find yourself a good metal trash can, and burn something in it--using the old gasoline as a starter.

pdgs

Petty Officer 3rd Class

In my county they take it for free at the HazMat center. 10 gal max per visit. My Honda 4 stroke lawnmower had been burning stuff that's nearly 3 years old now. Still starts on first pull.

bigdee

Commander

Burn baby,burn. Your fine. You can use OB oil in a air cooled or water cooled 2 stroke BUT you cannot use conventional 2 cycle oil in a outboard. I have done it many times. Just make sure you do the proper mix ratio.

sawbld

Cadet

Thanks for the help, but with the mixed anwers, I think I will play it safe and start my fires with it..

SteveMcD

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the help, but with the mixed anwers, I think I will play it safe and start my fires with it..

You made me spray my coffee. I had about four gallons of several year old 40:1 mixed gas in my outboard tank. I mowed my lawn with it this summer. No smoke, plug looks great.

sawbld

Cadet

Sorry about that, hope it wasnt too hot :)

oldjeep

Admiral

You can run snowblowers and chainsaws on bacon grease - I'd run it. I sure wouldn't use gas that has 2 stroke oil in it as starters for your marshmello roasting fire.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Nope, You're good to go burning it in the snow blower.

And it will keep the mosquitos away....:rolleyes: I'd use it. I'm assuming we're talking about a relatively small amount. You can also dump it in your truck, car. The gas in your vehicle will dilute the oil making burning it no problem...... I've done it with string trimmer gas mix....

bigdee

Commander

You can run snowblowers and chainsaws on bacon grease - I'd run it. I sure wouldn't use gas that has 2 stroke oil in it as starters for your marshmello roasting fire.

oldjeep is absolutely correct. Small carburetored, unsophisticated engines will run on just about anything. I have ran my garden tractor with coleman lantern fuel, kerosene, wood alcohol,and lots of old boat fuel.

dwco5051

Commander

oldjeep is absolutely correct. Small carburetored, unsophisticated engines will run on just about anything. I have ran my garden tractor with coleman lantern fuel, kerosene, wood alcohol,and lots of old boat fuel.

I run old mixed gas in my tractors, lawnmowers and my older Jeep However I don't consider a chainsaw that operates between 2800 and 14,000 an unsophisticated engine. I use the recommended oil for my chainsaw mix with gas no more than one month old. I do save a few bucks using used motor oil for bar oil. Tun the oiler to max and wear old pants. They tend to get a little dark after a days sawing.