What is this hinge / plate called?

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I am curious what the formal terminology would be for this hinge /or plate that is on this director scene board.

Better yet a place to buy them. I am making a larger replica of whats in the pic and it would be cool if it "clapped" and was functional, but I will just be hanging it on my wall in my movie theater so I guess it's not necessary.

hinge.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: What is this hinge / plate called?

Goes by a couple of names....... Scene board or Clapperboard or film slate (originals were slate) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clapperboard............. I have to apologize because my friend who owns a studio had a huge sale last weekend and sold most of his outdated used stuff..... :(

They are available if you hunt by contacting movie production companies or studios maybe finding a school that teaches film making....

The newer modern ones are electronic/digital the older ones were similar to a blackboard then they advanced to "dry erase" boards and eventually electronic.

They are extremely key for productions since movies are shot by scenes then assembled in the cutting room.

Not too hard to find.

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class

Quite a few clapperboards for sale on ebay.

korygrandy

Goes by a couple of names....... Scene board or Clapperboard or film slate (originals were slate) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clapperboard............. I have to apologize because my friend who owns a studio had a huge sale last weekend and sold most of his outdated used stuff..... :(

They are available if you hunt by contacting movie production companies or studios maybe finding a school that teaches film making....

The newer modern ones are electronic/digital the older ones were similar to a blackboard then they advanced to "dry erase" boards and eventually electronic.

They are extremely key for productions since movies are shot by scenes then assembled in the cutting room.

Not too hard to find.

WOW... what a great response...and shucks on the timing. If you ever see any old movie film reel's, I would love to hang one or two of those up to help with my "classic theater decor".

I was mainly curious what the actual hinge was called that holds the two pieces together and allows for clapping.

I am making my own directors scene board out of plywood and to make this thing clap, I was just going to cut-out a plate and bolt the thing together like they show in the picture...but i figured if I could just buy the plate it would save me some frustration at the saw.

Reason for making my own...I want it 1.5x as large as what the directors use so I can hang it on the wall, write the name of the movie I am showing, or IE Superbowl XXL when my guests come over to just kind of add to the experience...I have ticket stubs for "Richmond Theater" already made up LOL. :D

smoedog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its not really a hinge you go out and buy, thats one you build. Put two triangular plates on top and then put the clapper on, drill hole all the way thru, insert bolt, done.

but goto grainger or mcmaster-carr and might find something else

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Look for triangular metal plates that are used for wood-frame swingset construction.

korygrandy

Look for triangular metal plates that are used for wood-frame swingset construction.

Thanks guys. I think I was looking in the wrong section of the store... I think with the right pic, a salesman will be happy to help a clueless consumer like myself. I figured it as just 2 plates bolted together with the proper washers.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Thanks guys. I think I was looking in the wrong section of the store... I think with the right pic, a salesman will be happy to help a clueless consumer like myself. I figured it as just 2 plates bolted together with the proper washers.

I am a hand-tool woodworker (except where the benefit of 110 volt availability makes it just foolish :)) and have a half dozen folding rules.

I would call that a "rule joint"....or at least would believe that the principle is the same.

http://www.woodcraftmagazine.com/onlineextras/RuleJoint.pdf