Garage Heater...

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Wanting to use my garage for more than storing cars during the long winter, but it gets COLD out there. I've used an old torpedo kerosene heater, but it's not very wise to work in its exhaust..! Same with an unvented propane heater which doesn't give me enough to make it comfortable.

So I looked at an overhead heater. At first I thought I'd go with a gas unit, but after looking at:

1. Bringing in a gas line
2. Cutting through both the dry-wall ceiling and roof, as well as my one-piece roofing material to install a vent
3. Dealing with the local inspectors over a permit and building code requirements
4. The fact that I have a 240 volt 30-amp welding outlet in the garage

...I decided to go with an electric one.

Farenheat sells a 7500 watt unit (FUH724) that can be jumpered internally to lower wattage. I got one and hung it up. Ran some t/w conduit and two wires to it (all control components are 240 volts), and was just about ready to go.

To get it down to less than the available 30 amps, I had to move one jumper. So with that move it's rated at 6260 watts, or about 21,325 BTU/hour. It draws slightly over 26 amps.

Well, the lowest it's gotten around this area so far is about 38 degrees, so I've not yet tried it in the zero to ten degree range, but at 38, MAN, it's nice! I get a 30-35 degree temp. rise, which makes my garage shirt-sleeve comfortable - at least so far. This thing has an adjustable thermostat, so it can be set at a reasonable temperature when I'm working out there.

At my present cost/KW-hour (about $.125), I can run this baby for about 78 cents an hour. For my uses, that's acceptable.

Downside? It cost me $450 for the heater. Another $20 for wire, conduit, fittings. I found belatedly that I could have gotten it for about $100 less on-line, but that's life I guess. So far I'm more than satisfied.

Last edited:

GTS225

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Garage Heater...

Heated air rises.

Now, if you've got the room overhead, install something to pull that heated air from the ceiling and recirculate it back down to the floor. That'll make full use of your investment, and perhaps save a few bucks in the heater not having to run as much.

Roger

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Would have torn out the flooor and put hot water radiant heat in floor you would have been happier

captmello

Captain

Would have torn out the flooor and put hot water radiant heat in floor you would have been happier

Ha, that sounds like a lot of work.

I was in a similar situation last year. I moved into a house with a 2 1/2 car garage. I insulated, sheetrocked, and sealed it up good. I also had 240v, 30a service available. I bought a 240v electric heater at menards for 89.00, Looks like a large milkhouse heater. I kept my garage at about 57 deg all winter. While it was a mild winter, it cost me about 140/month extra over my previous years electric bills.

I also put a fan in to keep the air circulating.

bigdee

Commander

Your probably ok with a 30 amp circuit but 26 amps is pushing it. Electric heat is considered a continuous load and for that reason the circuit must be rated at 125%. By code you would need #8 conductors and 40 amp breaker.

generator12

Your probably ok with a 30 amp circuit but 26 amps is pushing it. Electric heat is considered a continuous load and for that reason the circuit must be rated at 125%. By code you would need #8 conductors and 40 amp breaker.

I agree with you on both counts:

1. It is okay with a 30 amp circuit.

2. Code calls for overcapacity.

The issue to me is whether this is necessary for safety, or simply to keep electricians working, as much of the code is intended to do. (Same for some of the plumbing code.)

The run from main panel to garage is short and exposed. The run in the garage is a total of about twenty feet. It will be used, of course, only in cold weather and with a thermostat which will interrupt it from time to time. Therefore I'm not concerned.

This is not to denigrate your comments. They are much appreciated. That's what this forum is for. So I thank you.

Last edited:

bigdee

Commander

I agree with you on both counts:

1. It is okay with a 30 amp circuit.

2. Code calls for overcapacity.

The issue to me is whether this is necessary for safety, or simply to keep electricians working, as much of the code is intended to do. (Same for some of the plumbing code.)

The run from main panel to garage is short and exposed. The run in the garage is a total of about twenty feet. It will be used, of course, only in cold weather and with a thermostat which will interrupt it from time to time. Therefore I'm not concerned.

This is not to denigrate your comments. They are much appreciated. That's what this forum is for. So I thank you.

Like I said,your PROBABLY ok. This forum is for sharing knowledge and I was pointing out the proper method,thats all.

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

A buddy of mine installed those type electric heaters in his garage maybe 15 years ago now. We all called them hairdryers ;)

He took a different approach than I did. He super insulated his garage and used electric heaters. The pole drop, meter, insulation, drywall, heaters combined cost a fair chunk 'o change.

I scanned the local papers for a cheap, used, oil burning house furnace. Found a 120k BTU upright furnace for $80. Rigged it up to be self-priming and used an old 5 gallon tank I had lying around with quick disconnect hoses for the fuel supply. A cheap thermostat and the ducting/thimble set me back around $50. No insulation required in a 2 car detatched garage. Come home in the dead of winter (WI) and fire it up. Eat a sandwich and it's 80 degrees in there.

To fill the tank, I just disconenct and take to gas station. Maybe filled it 6 times all winter and restored a 71 Chevelle. I had plans to install a small fuel tank outside but it just never became necessary for the way I was using it.

I started down the same path as many. Torpedo heaters, propane construction heaters...I wasn't prepared for the level of moisture generated by burning propane unvented. All my tools and everything in the garage was soaked! The oil furnance solved all of that and was actually cheaper than the kerosene or propane heaters!

generator12

BigStuff, that's a GREAT approach. I would love to have done something similar but just don't have room.

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

I did have a generously proportioned 2 car garage but what made this work so well was the size and proportions of the furnace. It was basically no deeper than the benches, about 3' wide and maybe 5 ft tall. It fit right next to one of my roll around tool boxes at the end of the bench. The guy who bought that house was insistent that the furnace be included :)

BTW, my buddies electric heaters worked great for him. Once up to temp, they ran occassionally to keep it there. Electricity was relatively cheap in WI at the time. Especially compared to where I am now :O

generator12

I did have a generously proportioned 2 car garage but what made this work so well was the size and proportions of the furnace. It was basically no deeper than the benches, about 3' wide and maybe 5 ft tall. It fit right next to one of my roll around tool boxes at the end of the bench. The guy who bought that house was insistent that the furnace be included :)

BTW, my buddies electric heaters worked great for him. Once up to temp, they ran occassionally to keep it there. Electricity was relatively cheap in WI at the time. Especially compared to where I am now :O

Big, the cost in Wisconsin is still reasonable at a little over twelve cents per KW hour. I wouldn't want to heat the house at that rate, but at 6.2 KW per hour, it's reasonable for the periods when I want to work in the garage.

Still like the oil idea though.