air conditioned shop

outboardnut

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wanting to build an air conditioned shop.

Anyone ever do this and able to run engines inside?

Re: air conditioned shop

most people will install a extraction fan to remove the fumes from a engine while its running inside the shop. check your building codes before telling them it will have ac in the shop or they will view this as a living space. i waited until the inspector left then installed a window ac unit that can not be seen from the road. what kind of engines are you planning on running in there?

emoney

Commander

You're definitely going to want to install a good exhaust circulation system. Don't scrimp on it, either, or someone will walk in and find you both "cool" and possibly "dead", lol. How big is the shop going to be that needs to be cool and what's the climate? I know around here it would take a pretty big A/C system to keep a decent sized shop cool in the Summer months (between February and December).

robert graham

Admiral

Well, I know that carbon monoxide is nothing to ignore or play with....maybe install/open garage doors when actually running the motors?...better to be hot or cold than Dead!:eek:

outboardnut

Petty Officer 1st Class

shop size isn't set in stone. I don't want to go huge so it will be easy to heat and cool. Was thinking 24x32 or 30x40. A lot of it depends if I can get set up to run these things inside. If it's something that is going to be impossible or very hard to do I may just build a lean to in the back and put some big fans with those misters in them. Really don't know if that will help in the heat of things. I'm in Illinois but will tell ya the 107 degree weather this last summer about did me in. Really need to get some climate control going.
Most of the running would be fairly short, probably a minute max. Just need enough time to dial in low speed jets, check fuel vac and confirm water pumping.
If I have to spool a motor up on the dyno I could still take it outside. Actually plan on doing away with the dyno and just building a launch ramp into my pond and running them on the trailer.

I was thinking of taking a 50 gallon plastic drum, cutting in half, and attaching a blower and set it on top of a tank.

Pulling all the air from the vent may defeat the air conditioning though. Would like to see someones setup before I attempt to go blindly into it.

I don't think I'll have to have it inspected. I'm out in BFE, nothing is zoned out here.

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You HAVE to pull in outside air because you HAVE to expel the exhaust gases outside.

Sounds dangerous, especially given your knowledge of the subject. No offense intended. But get an expert to tell you how to set it up, if at all.

BTW, the pond, instant cooling

Sea ya...

Petty Officer 1st Class

Any chance you can use tubing or pipe on the exhaust of the engines and vent that outside?

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

my shop at work is air conditioned, but I wheel engines out to the main bay to run them

we do everything on wheels there. benches, power units, test stands.... everything on wheels

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Exhaust removal systems are a very technical and specialized part of the HVAC field. HVAC contractors with the expertise to do this work are few and far between. Most engine exhaust removal technology is applied to new automobile dealerships rather than marine service shops.

My family owns a large luxury car dealership with such exhaust systems installed. Our shop even has spot air conditioning blowing where the service techs open hoods. The cooler repair techs are in the summer, they're more productive (more work/hrs. billed). Increased productivity results in more parts sales and more total profitability. Service Dept. A/C ultimately pays off in more profitability for all.

But air exhaust systems are probably cost prohibitive in a small shop.

An option would be to install one non-air conditioned service bay with a door at each end and a big exhaust fan--and drains in the floor. You could easily move boats in and out of a pull through bay to do your testing.

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

Any chance you can use tubing or pipe on the exhaust of the engines and vent that outside?
In my 3 bay shop we have round flapper doors at the bottom of each door that we stick rubber exhaust hoses out.
Works quite well, in 27 yrs. no one has died.