Need/Desire

foodfisher

Captain
I want to contribute pictorially to these forums but my lack of computing skills is becoming frustrating. I have a digital camera w/pics I'd like to share but they're on the camera. Getting them from there to here is a mindbuster for me. The mobile, for lack of a better word, "geeks" want $130/hr. With my skills that could cost a vacation. Is there an online tutorial that can teach me to be more savy? Cutting and pasting would be a good start.

Brewman61

Ensign
Re: Need/Desire

I bet there enough tech savvy folks on this forum to help you, no need to pay for classes, unless of course, you learn better that way.

Generally, you'll want to move the photo files from your camera to a directory on your computer. They you upload them from that directory to the forum

The user manual from your camera should tell you how to move the files, if you don't have the user manual, most likely it's available online from the manufacturer's website.

Sometimes it's as easy as removing the memory card from the camera and inserting that card into a compatible card reader that you may have on your computer. I have an older camera that I use a cable that plugs into my computer's USB port and with the software provided by the camera company, transfer photo files via that cable from the camera to the computer.

So start with reading your users manual, and try transferring one photo from your camera to your computer.

If you have access to any teenage kids they'd probalby be able to show you in a few minutes how it all works.

The_Kid

Chief Petty Officer

On my Panasonic I connect it to the PC with a USB cable and set the camera to the play/view mode. I then have to enable the bridge mode by hitting the menu button. At that point it shows up as another drive on the computer that I can copy them from. I also have the option to remove the memory card and just plug that into the computer.

Please list the make and model of your camera.

emoney

Commander

Some cameras are as easy as plugging the chord into the USB jack on your computer. After a few seconds of "whirring in the hardrive", the computer will recognize the "device" (camera) and even upload any needed software drivers. After the drivers are in place, it will pretty much ask you what you want to do next "Open Files" for example. If you click 'Open Files' it should open a window that shows all the pictures currently stored in there. On mine that's how it works anyway, not sure what yours is. In order to store them on my computer, which I don't do anymore, it's a simple "right click" and then a "save as" to whatever file you desire. In the past, prior to my storing them in Photobucket (highly recommended, btw), I would always create a new folder on the desktop, something like "Boating", that way it would be easy to find them for uploading in to say iboats.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Give us the Make and Model of your Camera and I bet we can give you step by step instructions on how to "Git ER Dun!!!!"

foodfisher

Captain

Thanks Don S. The link is now printed and in a three ring binder. Now it seems the USB cable is NLA. The after market ones I've located do not have the cylinder in line. What is it's purpose and is it necessary? Instructions say use only the cable provided :(

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have no clue what that cylinder is for, may be nothing more than a splice for wire connections. First, I found you the manual, have never seen your type camera. But I do know you can also use the SD card and move the files to your computer. Use google, that's how I found the manual. It will also find you all sorts of things you want to know, Just learn how to ask.

Something like this http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+to+copy+and+paste

Brewman61

Ensign

That cylinder is likely a ferrite choke, which purpose is to limit interfearance.

emoney

Commander

What Brewman said, and I wouldn't worry about finding a cable with one. The main thing is to find the USB cable that fits into your camera. If, for some reason you can't find a cable, shoot me a PM as I've probably got an extra one around here somewhere. I'm quite the packrat when it comes to cables. If I've got one and you need it, you're more than welcome to it.

Of course, if you really want to go the easy route, get an iPhone 4S and just start using that for your camera. Then all you need to do is email the pics to yourself straight off the phone. I'm all about the path of least resistance!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Cables are still available.....check staples.

You have a SD Card and you can get a SD card reader cheap at most major department stores.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I used to go the cable/camera software route. Now, I just use a a $8 card reader from Wally World. Take the SD card out of the camera, put it in the card reader, insert it in a USB port and copy/move pix to wherever you store your pix on your computer. In our case, since we're still on Windows XP, that location is My Pictures....... East peasy......:)

coreybv

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now, I just use a a $8 card reader from Wally World.

And if the computer in question is a laptop purchased within the last decade chances are excellent that it has a card reader built right in.

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

You gotta love these new smartphones. My Evo 4g has a 10meg camera and I have it synced with my photobucket account, so whatever pictures I take are automatically sent to my account. Also my printer is linked to my home network by wi-fi and has its own email addy so wherever I may be I can email pictures direct to my printer. Cool stuff even for a techno-tard like me.

foodfisher

Captain

Chuckle! You've obviously mistaken me for someone else. I've just learned to copy, cut and paste on my desktop. Next step is to figure out how to keep two windows open to transfer the info. Then the posting pictures stuff.

Summer Fun

Banned

Next step is to figure out how to keep two windows open to transfer the info.

FF, You need a setup like mine. :D

I tethered all this together. Dell Inspiron 1100 & Toshiba Satellite A65 with a 24" Dell monitor.

I'm on 3 different sites at once. :)

Picture022.jpg

Fed

Commander

Need to be a little careful with pictures now days, a lot of cameras & smartphones are recording the GPS coordinates of where the picture was taken and embedding them in the file.
Google Earth can then take you to directly to the location.
It doesn't worry me but if you took a picture of all the money hidden under your bed then it wouldn't be a wise idea to post your house address on the internet.

foodfisher

Captain

Summer Fun, I'll bet you twist the knife too:) Fed, Thanks! now I have to change banks.