Marina in Cambodia. Needed equipment supplier.

khmerboat

Cadet
Hello from Cambodia!

Please help find a supplier of equipment and accessories for our small marina in Port Sihanoukville. It is advisable not far from our place. Excluding Chinese goods, please. :facepalm:

Began construction of berths, but to equip them with nothing. We build fast. Immediately after the New Year we will be ready to take the first boat. This is the first marina in Cambodia.

With respect to the boatman,

Mantula Andrew
Harbor Master

khmerboat

Cadet
Re: Marina in Cambodia. Needed equipment supplier.

Forgot to add:

The first phase of construction - 2 berths to 30 feet each.

We are interested in the following positions :

Electricity, water and lighting service pedestals
Lighting ? LED combi deck lights, dome deck lights, underwater lights
and fender lighting
Sanitation pump-out systems ? communal, multi-point, in-berth and mobile
Electrical and water distribution systems
Pre-payment electricity and water services - computer, Smartcard and
coin controlled
Emergency services ? fire-fighting, life-saving, alarm systems

khmerboat

Cadet

Correction : 30 meters each berth

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

Why did you not have all this figured out before construction? What are you using to build the piers? i.e. concrete, wood, etc.

khmerboat

Cadet

Why did you not have all this figured out before construction? What are you using to build the piers? i.e. concrete, wood, etc.

Unfortunately or fortune, I started working in a project a while ago.
Investors began the old Russian tradition first do, then think. I am a former sailor, I was offered to do this project. To my surprise to learn that about search and order the necessary equipment for marinas nobody thought.

Constructed two concrete pier to 30 m each on stilts.
Arrangement of the letter L. This is the first stage of construction.
We shall build a concrete pontoon with mooring fingers if necessary. About 20 boats to start.
The next step - we will develop the project on the islands and the coast of Cambodia.
I am quite difficult to determine the needs of the marina, as I merchant seaman, not a yachtsman.

So I ask for help from experienced boaters and equipment vendors marinas.

Last edited:

tswiczko

Master Chief Petty Officer

As for construction,Yachtsmen know very little about building marinas. That is what construction contractors and engineers are for.
As for supplies I am sure there are areas in your neck of the woods to get supplies from as opposed to having them shipped from here.

It appears you have already gotten supplies from in your area

khmerboat

Cadet

Thank you.
Important for me to know the opinion of boaters - what is necessary and sufficient for a small marina equipment. Perhaps someone knows a good brand of equipment.
In Cambodia, there is nothing. It is difficult to send a parcel to Cambodia. Some companies refuse to deal with sending or silent.
Now I am already sent correspondence and order in http://www.marina-accessories.com.

However, they do not have the full range for me.
If someone knows of other resources on the Internet to order goods for the marina, please give details.

We will do our production in place, for example, floating pontoons and mooring fingers. Of the material at hand ...:confused:

Last edited:

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

What type of boats do you anticipate using the facility? What size?

A 25' - 40' boat will have different requirements than a 100' foot boat.

Typical marina here would offer utilities such as power, telephone, and water. Power will depend on the size of the boats there (30A, 50A, 100A, 100A-3 phase). The two biggest companies that I am aware of for Marine Rated electrical equipment are Marinco and Hubbel. They each offer power pedestal for Marina use that can be as all encompassing as you wish. Check the links below.

http://www.marinco.com/

http://www.hubbell.com/Electrical/HubbellMarine.aspx

For a Pump Out Station check here

http://www.pumpahead.com/

They typically also offer services such as trash removal, newspaper delivery, laundry/shower facilities etc.

Is a fuel dock being considered? Are there service facilities in the area?

khmerboat

Cadet

Thanks for the links, be sure to take a look.

Depth at the berth of at least 5 meters. Can accept 100 ft boat, but of course we will focus on the standard sizes. Service pedestals I choose 20-50 amps. Fuel station, we will not. Refilling is a tank car (1-2 tons) on request. Small application delivery containers.
Petrol for outboard motors is easily solved - it will bring you to the motobiker in the canister. Service costs $ 2-3.

In the marina will be a small reserve of fuel for diesel equipment and our boats - sometimes we can share.

All you specify services will be provided.
The only thing we can not provide a full repair, docking .... but can assist to repair the port. This question is now being prepared.

Will transfer to the airport in Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville. Accommodation in a new guest-house on Victory Hill. In the marina office building will be 2-3 rooms for the night, a bar, a dining room, showers, toilets, parking cars.
Will be a large terrace for relaxation, a barbecue area and our hospitality.:)

Linens and things are taken to the laundry room, the cost of 1 kg / $ 1 + transport 2-3$

Food supply is currently being prepared. About 250 positions had already been scheduled.

Charging the battery and reception of bilge water or sewage will be. I will be order a special pump (Sanitation pump-out system).

Ask for more. Most important is your experience and feedback.

bassman284

Commander

Investors began the old Russian tradition first do, then think.

Had tears in my eyes when I read this. Unfortunately, the city council where I live follows that same tradition.

khmerboat

Cadet

Cambodia business becomes hypertrophied forms.

Rich Cambodians invest in obscure business without clear perspectives. Build houses without doors, for example. Then they start to think about how to enter.

Russians built a bridge to the island for $ 45 million and all. Why? - no one knows. and not to get to the island, the bridge is closed.

An airport in Sihanoukville, but not wishing to fly to Phnom Penh for $ 100 when the bus costs 4.5 $.and Taxi $ 50

Japanese built five stars Emario Resort on the beach (we call it a Japanese beach), but the savings on high quality materials and are now white houses stand empty and covered in black mold.
* It is possible to make horror films Hitchcock style ..

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer

khmerboat, I suggest you hire someone - maybe on a six month or one year contract - to come to you and oversee the final construction of the marina. That would be someone who has the experience and knowledge to guide you to a successful completion of the project.

You could start with an advertisement on this forum for such a person.

I wish you good luck and all the best.

khmerboat

Cadet

Sorry, but I do not see any reason to hire someone who is not familiar with the Cambodian realities.
It's hard, yes, but there are a number of Russian living in Cambodia for 15 years. They are also involved in the project. It is important to know the Khmer language and be able to talk with the Cambodians.

Rouge never say no, and agree with your reasoning and do not do anything until they see the money in their pocket.

Every day discovering new. Experience grows progressively.

As for actual work, I know I should get a result. Unfortunately faced with a strange phenomenon for me. Sending order for equipment companies in the States (as well as in Singapore and Australia). In response to the silence for 2 weeks! Maybe $ 20,000 is a small order?
In Russia, at home in St. Petersburg, I would have brought all the next day.

I sent out 2 weeks approximately 20 letters with the application and asked to send price lists and conditions of delivery. Answered only 2-3 companies ... Once the water in the responses, nothing specific. Approximate sense - and where Cambodia and who are you? And I fill the special order form on their site ... Maybe they are bathed in gold?:confused:

I would have to turn to Chinese firms, although not mean to do that.:cool:

fishrdan

Admiral

Fuel station, we will not. Refilling is a tank car (1-2 tons) on request. Small application delivery containers.
Petrol for outboard motors is easily solved - it will bring you to the motobiker in the canister. Service costs $ 2-3.

In the marina will be a small reserve of fuel for diesel equipment and our boats - sometimes we can share.

Pretty much all of the marina's in the US (of the size you are building) have a fuel dock. What is one thing almost all boats need,,, fuel! Filling from remote tanks as you suggest is frowned upon over here for several reasons;

- Environmental concerns from spilled fuel
- Fire hazard
- Loss of profits from the marina's fuel dock.

The fuel dock at marina's out here is an important part of the marina, not just for servicing customer's, but also for income,,, the fuel is marked up at a good profit margin. IE: marina's (that I know of) don't pay road tax on fuel, but the marina fuel still costs 10-20% more than fuel available at a car/truck gas station.

Good luck with your venture!

khmerboat

Cadet

Of course I want to have own fuel dock!

But while the matter is not resolved in any way. In Cambodia, it is very difficult to win the local bureaucracy. It is difficult to find responsible people, huge corruption, etc.
Well, still not clear about the needs of the fuel and how it will go at all.

I will solve this problem. I understand its importance. Thanks for your advice.

Last edited:

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sorry, but I do not see any reason to hire someone who is not familiar with the Cambodian realities.
It's hard, yes, but there are a number of Russian living in Cambodia for 15 years. They are also involved in the project. It is important to know the Khmer language and be able to talk with the Cambodians.

Rouge never say no, and agree with your reasoning and do not do anything until they see the money in their pocket.

Every day discovering new. Experience grows progressively.

As for actual work, I know I should get a result. Unfortunately faced with a strange phenomenon for me. Sending order for equipment companies in the States (as well as in Singapore and Australia). In response to the silence for 2 weeks! Maybe $ 20,000 is a small order?
In Russia, at home in St. Petersburg, I would have brought all the next day.

I sent out 2 weeks approximately 20 letters with the application and asked to send price lists and conditions of delivery. Answered only 2-3 companies ... Once the water in the responses, nothing specific. Approximate sense - and where Cambodia and who are you? And I fill the special order form on their site ... Maybe they are bathed in gold?:confused:

I would have to turn to Chinese firms, although not mean to do that.:cool:

khmerboat, When I suggest you hire someone to front this project for you, I'm not simply talking about someone who can answer your questions regarding the features to be included in your marina, but also someone who can provide a "face" for the vendors to see - someone who can deal personally with the vendors and build confidence in the transactions.

Unfortunately, deals with developing countries have often gone badly for western companies. There is fear that the purchaser - or the local government - will alter or ignore the conditions of sale during or after the delivery of the goods or services, or that local politics will impact the transaction. I'm suggesting that vendors in other countries are likely to be more cooperative if they can deal with an individual who represents the purchaser.

When you send your request to a marine supplier, it likely falls into a pile of similar requests from individuals or companies within their normal shipping radius. It is then dealt with by a clerk - not a decision-maker - who channels it to a sales person.

Your request requires the individual to research currencies, exchange rates, elaborate shipping and insurance arrangements, or other requirements, while all the others do not. Therefore he or she is likely to ignore it and move on to the next (more simple) request. Yours is discarded because of a perceived difficulty in dealing with it.

A face-to-face visit to these suppliers can create confidence that the time and effort expended in creating and executing a contract will result in an actual, profitable, business transaction. That face could be your own, or that of a hired broker.

I suggest that the difficulty you are experiencing would be confronted by a pioneer in any industry in Cambodia, and that the most effective way to deal with it is to have a representative (possibly yourself) visit the vendors and discuss terms in person.

And so, once again, I suggest you either hire someone to represent you, or that you personally plan to visit prospective vendors and get beyond the simple clerks who are dealing with your present requests.

khmerboat

Cadet

You absolutely have described the present situation.
I personally would have to fly to Singapore, for example - he is not far.
Sent requests to singapurgskie company. Waiting for an answer.

Thank you very much.

khmerboat

Cadet

A bit offtopic.
Questions and requests to the Americans.

Maybe someone knows or can help me find old magazines in Newport, Rhode Island.
Journals for 1976, June-July.
The fact that I was in Newport in 1976-year sailing bark "Krusenstern". I was then a cadet of Marine Fisheries Academy in Murmansk. This was Operation Sail-76 regatta in honor of 200 years of American independence.

Local reporters have many pictures and I remember his face on the cover and I remember his face on the cover of "Newport" or a similar name. Maybe "Newsweek"? :eek:

y_ad670f55.jpg

y_3e12967c.jpg

Last edited:

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

A 100 foot boat will most likely require 100 Amp service, and quite possibly 100 Amp 3 phase. A 60 footer could easily require two (2) 50 Amp services. I would try to research the specific requirements for the most common vessels in your area.

I assume you will have water at every slip. A simple hose connection will be all a boater needs.

Will you be renting slips for long term contracts or do you anticipate a lot of transient boaters?