making jerky

jims plan b

Petty Officer 2nd Class
we dug out our old magic chef food dehydrator and can not find the book ..how long will it take to make some jerky ?

duke33

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: making jerky

I don't remember either. 5-6hrs? Google it.

Brewman61

Ensign

Yup, a quick Google search on "Magic Chef Food Dehydrator Instructions" returned tons of hits.

Love the net, easy to find lost owners manuals!

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Anyway you make it, thickness of the cut jerky is relative to how long it takes to dry IMO. Sometimes I have to eat whole batches to perfect the time for the specific meat/marinade/slice ratio :D.

duke33

Petty Officer 1st Class

^lol, I don't know how many batches me and the boy have ate before they even cool. Not that they were hot. Love the stuff!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I have made a few batches using the Alton Brown recipe. Just wish it had less salt becuase when I eat the whole batch It seems like I gain 10 extra pounds from all the water I end up drinking.

duke33

Petty Officer 1st Class

Alton Brown is my fav tv cook. That chicken soaked in buttermilk is the ticket. Sorry to derail Jim. :)

robert graham

Admiral

I could live off Jerky, Penrose Sausages and boiled P-nuts and cold drinks!....I mean, how good do it get!;)

duke33

Petty Officer 1st Class

Longhorn cheese and pepperoni.:redface:

jims plan b

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks guys ....1st batch was to dry the other half did not take it out befor she left for work ...kids loved it but i will try again

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

All kidding aside........If you taste for doneness it is important to let it cool first if you smoke or use heat to cure it. I recently made some out of Sockeye Salmon. It was enough to make me want to move to Alaska!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I do my beef or venison jerky in a Coleman's Stovetop Smoker. 20 minutes at medium heat, then 30 minutes in a 170f oven.

Sorry I didn't move this to non-boating tech earlier. Will do now.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Takes about 4 days of good sunny days to dry after been run through the smoker

yorab

Ensign

Hey bruceb, did you also use the cellulose air filters and the box fan? I've been wanting to do that for some time.

duke33

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey bruceb, did you also use the cellulose air filters and the box fan? I've been wanting to do that for some time.
Do you mean like the Alton brown show? I've wanted to try that too.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

I have a post on here somewhere describing my oven jerky recipe/technique. It is very good IMO but I've ony made it w venison and Salmon, I'm shure it would work for beef too. I'm going to try Tuna soon.

djames

Cadet

I have the dehydrator and love it for jerky. I leave it in the unit for 36 hrs and I use all 5 levels and jam it full, but don't put pieces on top of one another and cut each piece a little thicker than usual,about 1/4 inch. I usually buy a 5+lb. London broil cut it up into desired pieces with a little fat ( cut off the big stuff ) and marinate it for 4hrs. in a teriyaki,oyster flavored sauce and a smidgeon of Dale's sauce,add salt,pepper,garlic powder,onion powder and whatever you think would go nicely with this and mix it up real good and cover and place in fridge for 4hrs... Afterwards, put all pieces in hydrator, put top on and leave it for 36 hrs.. This amt. of time won't make it too dry, but once you start eating it, Well, it's like sex, you have to finish the job or you feel like you wasted your time...Very hard to put down....ENJOY