Dek generator capacitor

duke33

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Dek generator capacitor

Well, that did'nt work. I charged the cap but got no spark back...:confused:

duke33

Petty Officer 1st Class

I thought after charging when you cross the leads it should spark. Anyway the genny still does'nt put out. Should I excite the cap with 110v?

bigdee

Commander

I thought after charging when you cross the leads it should spark. Anyway the genny still does'nt put out. Should I excite the cap with 110v?

NO!,NO!! To save from typing I have this link http://www.endtimesreport.com/dead_gen.html that gives several methods for re-exciting a dead generator. I would try the drill method first because it is the simplest,then try the other methods if that doesn't work.
Did you replace the capacitor? Does your generator have a 12 volt dc outlet?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

First of all, who knows if that cap is used for excitation. I may just be a filter cap.

when was the last time that this generator was running and actually outputting power?

bigdee

Commander

First of all, who knows if that cap is used for excitation. I may just be a filter cap.

when was the last time that this generator was running and actually outputting power?

It is most likely used in a regulator circuit. Most chinese generators are not self exciting and depend on residual magnetism that can be lost if generator is stored for a long time.

duke33

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm in the process of reading the article this morning. The genny was working june 29 of this year. Although it was acting weak. I'll finish the article and get back. I've never heard of field flashing, very interesting.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If it was working June 29th, highly unlikely you need to do this.

bigdee

Commander

If it was working June 29th, highly unlikely you need to do this.

If the output was shorted by the bad capacitor the magnetism would be lost as the generator coasts to a stop. Also if the generator was sharply dropped it could be lost also.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Easy test to see if the old cap was shorted.

These cheap chinese generators are cheap for a reason.

duke33

Petty Officer 1st Class

$800 cheap! I guess we learn by our mistakes. I did'nt get a chance to try the field flashing. Maybe this eve. How do I test a cap?

bigdee

Commander

How do I test a cap?

You can check for short with ohm-meter. For checking value you need a capacitor test instrument. You can also connect 120 vac to it with an amp-clamp around one of the leads and using a formula you can precisely determine the mfd value.

bigdee

Commander

duke,did you ever order a new cap from grainger? Whatever you buy make sure the voltage rating is 370 vac or greater. If this is a 240 vac genny your peak-peak voltage is 340 and will destroy any cap that is rated less. This points to another possibility of the original cap going bad......if you over revved your motor your output voltage could have exceeded what the cap was rated for.
There is little to go wrong on these simple generators. I would put in a new cap and flash the field. Unless the windings have burn't up this should get you going....give it the smell test.

duke33

Petty Officer 1st Class

I replaced the cap. I used the three light method. I reached down to see if the cap wires were getting hot......touched both spades...it was HOT allright!

bigdee

Commander

I replaced the cap. I used the three light method. I reached down to see if the cap wires were getting hot......touched both spades...it was HOT allright!

That is what I call ?self excitation!?