Dek generator capacitor

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Dek generator capacitor

Can you post a closeup picture of the capacitor that shows the specs. Forget about Radio Shack. They would never carry something ike that.

bigdee

Commander

I was wondering if anyone knew a replacement for my generator capacitor.
It is a 5650 DEK Part # g02206.
The GXI company has none in stock and they do'nt know when they'll get any. Thanks for any help.
http://www.gxioutdoorpower.com/cgi/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=G02206

That is a 16 MFD capacitor with spade terminals. Grainger has a 15 MFD for around $10 but the physical size is probably larger.....could you put it in a remote location and run wires to it?

duke33

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is mounted on the back of the control panel. I did not find it on the grainger website. What does MFD stand for? What does this capacitor do anyway? Surge protector ?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

What does MFD stand for?
MFD= ?F = micro farad

Not sure how its used on your generator but it could be used as a filter for the regulation system. How do you know yours is bad?

duke33

Petty Officer 1st Class

During the last power outage the gen was still running but no power. The "black box" it is in was super hot. My neighbor, an electrician, poked around with my multimeter and said that's what was wrong. Evidently this must be a problem with the DEK gens because the company I ordered from, GXI , have none in stock.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Evidently this must be a problem with the DEK gens because the company I ordered from, GXI , have none in stock.
You may end up having more problems that just the capacitor. Wouldn't surprise me if there will be something else gone. DEKs and the like are pretty low end generators like a lot of the ones that come from China and are generally really tough to get parts for.

I would just try and find a 16 ?F capacitor of the correct voltage rating and try it rather than trying to get the exact form factored one, at least to test it out to see if there is anything else wrong.

duke33

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's what I'm thinking too. I don't know what the voltage rating is on it. I've found all kinds of 16 uf caps, just not sure which one I need.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Does the cap you have have a voltage rating on it? Most do.

bigdee

Commander

Voltage rating does not have to match as long as it is equal or greater. The cap in generators are usually used to excite the windings if this cap is shorted you will have to manually excite the residual magnetism that was lost. I would go with the grainger cap that I mentioned. 15 mfd at 370 working volts should work just fine. Like I said you may need to excite it with a 12 volt battery.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The cap in generators are usually used to excite the windings if this cap is shorted you will have to manually excite the residual magnetism that was lost. I would go with the grainger cap that I mentioned. 15 mfd at 370 working volts should work just fine. Like I said you may need to excite it with a 12 volt battery.
Depends on how long the generator has been sitting. Maybe the OP can answer that question.

duke33

Petty Officer 1st Class

The paint melted off the box it is in. I will search around for what you said bigdee. Bruce, Thanks for keeping track with this. I remember my dad playing with capacitors. Loading them up and shocking people. :). I'll find me one and let you guys know. Never know when we're gonna loose power around here. I'm gonna try and tear the old one apart, that'll help.

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

> Evidently this must be a problem with the DEK gens because the company I ordered from, GXI , have none in stock

Just thought you should consider the opposite possibility that they don't carry them because they rarely fail.

If anything is melted, you can bet there are other issues. Caps typically fail either silently or they die spectacularly. They usually don't simmer and melt things...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Never know when we're gonna loose power around here. I'm gonna try and tear the old one apart, that'll help.
So when was the last time you used this generator when it worked?

duke33

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I bought it...couple years ago, after owning it for a few months I used it for about 8hrs. So now the warranty is no good. I tested it when I bought it with a trouble light...big deal. Put it back in the building. It's been a month or so now..during that last big storm on the east coast, It ran for about 6hrs. At that time I thought something was'nt right with the lights and whatnot. Then it quit charging altogether. I have'nt been able to get on here and do anymore searching so I hope I find the part eventually. I also hope I did'nt buy a piece of junk.

bigdee

Commander

Thanks, I guess I overlooked it because it looks different. The old one is only 2 spade, do I just hook up to each side? Any suggestions on how to mount it?

Yes, it has two terminals with multiple spades on each side....just connect to each side and mount the cap in a convenient location. The tolerances for caps are +/- 20 but most often they error on the + side, so I think you should be fine. Worst case it would affect the output a little.

duke33

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks again! Sure beats $45. I'll get it ordered and let ya'll know. Pat