Re: denied for firearm

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Went to purchase a new ar 15. I have no crimanil background nor any felonies and i have never been committed to a medical institute so why am i being denied my right to buy a firearm? I am a legal US citizen and I love my country and I am very gratefull for what are military has done for us and is doing.
I guess I just need to vent a little. I filed an apeall. Has any one of you been thru this and what ended up happening?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

Went to purchase a new ar 15. I have no crimanil background nor any felonies and i have never been committed to a medical institute so why am i being denied my right to buy a firearm? I am a legal US citizen and I love my country and I am very gratefull for what are military has done for us and is doing.
I guess I just need to vent a little. I filed an apeall. Has any one of you been thru this and what ended up happening?

I'd have a background check done on myself if that happened to me. Identity theft may be the cause and you don't know about it yet.

I had a Federal CWP when I was in the military and now have a local CWP which is pretty restrictive but it does what I need it for. I didn't have any problems renewing it this year. I shoot regularly and often attend safety courses voluntarialy. I never have a problem buying weapons. Have you ever taken a hunters safety course? Not sure if Arizona requires it but with all the controversy about weapons in Arizona you may have run into a political snafu where one department isn't willing to risk crossing a line during an election year.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Child support, any domestic charges, common name or even a birth date that was not correctly written down (I transpose number from time to time), there could be hundreds of reasons. Unpaid ticket or pending court date........ not properly answering all the questions.

Handguns are even more strict then long guns.

It could have been a problem or error anywhere in the system. No need to be upset or panic.......... this is the weekend and nothing will be accomplished on a weekend of that nature.

Relax and have it looked into on Monday.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

PG, there are many factors that can cause you to have this problem, but you need the help of your Sheriff's office, I think you will find something like someone with the same name has an issue and that is what is causing your denial, get a CCW, If I remember right AZ issues CCW's through the Sheriff, I am sure your Sheriff is on your side since you elected him and his department will help you determine what the issue is.

A lot of States that issue CCW's are seriously considering CCW's as a way of confirming identity, even to the point of allowing immediate possession of newly purchased firearms in the absence of an instant background check, here in Colorado we know that at times the Gun background check system gets overloaded and can take hours, over the past five years there has been an increasing push to make a CCW carrier get instant approval through the legislature.

The Sheriff in your state (A Shall Issue State) will have a reason to get your situation straightened out when you are one of his constituents.

We see this all the time. Very Very Common.

southkogs

Staff member

Have you ever purchased one before? I think a dishonorable discharge will goof up a check as well.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

^^^^^^ wow, you can really tell the retired guys :D. Bob, today IS monday!

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

PG, there are many factors that can cause you to have this problem, but you need the help of your Sheriff's office, I think you will find something like someone with the same name has an issue and that is what is causing your denial, get a CCW, If I remember right AZ issues CCW's through the Sheriff, I am sure your Sheriff is on your side since you elected him and his department will help you determine what the issue is.

Concealed Carry is by state. NICS is Federal and doesn't matter what type of firearm. Should be a simple phone call and typically takes less than 5 minutes. I've heard of the system being overloaded and issuing denials by default.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Pirate the NICS system is never overloaded, however the Purchase point of the firearm is never allowed to access NICS directly, it has to go through the representing state Designated agency, in PG's case I think that would be DPS, here in Colorado its CBI and that is where the back up occurs.

The point I am making is that the CCW will never get approved if he cannot get a firearm, a CCW is through his Sheriff meanwhile a firearm is through the state designated agency, but if his CCW gets denied the Sheriff has to explain why in a Shall issue state, Therefore if there is a conflict of identity let the Sheriff prove the case to the State, not take it on himself, let the Sheriff clear it up.

Also AZ has reciprocity with Colorado so it is safe to assume AZ goes through the same background checks as Colorado which would include NCIC, and therefore you hopefully have your issue solved and a CCW as well

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks guys, Great info. This was going to be my first firearm so I was A little nervous to begin with. Then to get denied kind of freaks me out a little.
I went to the FBI apealls wed site and tryed to fill out some of the forms and when I click on them they say the page does not exsist? So I call and talk to a very nice lady that works for NICS and she tryed to walk me thru the process but the site was messed up. She said it would take a couple of months to clear it up. I want to do this right but a part of me wants to just go down to the swap meet this weekend and buy the same gun.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

ok then the next step I would take is to go get fingerprinted and background checked at the Sheriff's office, explain your situation and I bet they run your background for you and fingerprint you for little cost, this is their job if you have never done anything wrong and should be able to purchase legally then they will be on your side throughout this process.

Kinda wish you lived here I would tell you who to talk to. If I have time tomorrow I will see if I can go talk to our CCW group and ask their advice.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

ok then the next step I would take is to go get fingerprinted and background checked at the Sheriff's office, explain your situation and I bet they run your background for you and fingerprint you for little cost, this is their job if you have never done anything wrong and should be able to purchase legally then they will be on your side throughout this process.

Kinda wish you lived here I would tell you who to talk to. If I have time tomorrow I will see if I can go talk to our CCW group and ask their advice.
Buddy that would be great and I'll go down to the sherrifs office tomorrow. Thanks guys. I'll let you know what happens. I feel better.Thanks again

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Here is another way to look at it, there are many many identifying things in your criminal history, some are good and some are bad, when you have a duplicate name and DOB or worse a stolen identity, you have to work harder to prove who you are, knowing you were denied the purchase of a firearm could mean you have a warrant for your arrest, wouldn't you like to know? This is YOUR history, possibly the only thing more important to you personally then your credit history! You need to know, go get fingerprinted and put one more identifying factor in your pocket.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Aren't we getting two separate things mixed up? You have to go through the federal background check process in order to purchase a firearm but what does the CCW process in any state have to do with the FBI (NICS) process? I suppose the local sheriffs office could go ahead and start the federal background check for purchasing a firearm but that still has nothing to do with CCW.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Here in Montana, they check your federal background before they issue a CCW, they even checked mine and I presented a legal valid in date FFL. We are a shall issue state.

tswiczko

Master Chief Petty Officer

Wow, Denied. Not delayed correct?

You might want to get a U.P.I.N. (unique personal identification number) forms can be obtained through your local fbi office I believe, take it to a local police dept. and get fingerprinted and send it back in. I had to get one because I kept getting delayed. Many things can cause it to happen and the dealer you are buying from is not given that information so they won't be able to help you there. I have had my identity stolen more than once and carry the same first middle and last name as a deceased uncle.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

i was turned down for a gun purchase a few years ago, i didn't do anything about it, life got busy:rolleyes: a few months later i was sitting in my living room when state troopers came with a warrant for my arrest:eek: they cuffed me and took me to jail, all the time me telling them that there was a mistake and i'd done nothing wrong, they wouldn't listen :facepalm: after two days i made bail, and got a lawyer who showed them their error, they dropped charges. ;) now i'm scared to buy one, but if i did and got turned down i would go straight to the cops

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

^^^^^^ wow, you can really tell the retired guys :D. Bob, today IS monday!

OMG I feel so dumb:facepalm:...... oh wait I can't lie about it........... it's all the pain killers I have been taking...... I apologize :redface:

projo198

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ahh.. Finally something I know a lot about!

If there was something questionable with your NCIC check you should have been "deferred" or "delayed", which means your request goes to the bottom of the stack until someone can look at it closer. This usually takes 72 hours or so. The likelihood of this really depends on how many people are trying to buy guns.

I have have a military secret clearance, and more times than not this throws a red flag and I get delayed. It was especially bad during the presidential election and everyone was buying guns left and right. Once things quieted down the agent would usually just look into it on the spot and the phone call just took a little longer.

With all that being said and IF your state allows I would have no qualms doing a face-to-face firearm purchase if I were you. This is dependent of course on you being COMPLETELY SURE you are eligible to do so. Just ask yourself the same questions you did on the request form. Even so you still need to get to the bottom of why you were denied.

Here in KS FTF sales are legal with a bill of sale. I prefer them because then I am not paying some gun shop an FFL fee, and to be honest I reaally don't like our government knowing exactly what I am buying.

halfmoa

Ensign

I've never been denied but I've seen it happen in another job more than once. If I recall correctly, there's a phone number on the 4473 that you can call to see exactly why you were denied. Maybe that's just an Illinois thing...

As tswiczko said previously, go to your local police department and ask about having a criminal background check ran on yourself. Odds are the UPIN he was referring to will be greek to AZ...I'm next door to him in Illinois and I've never heard of it...FBI numbers and SIDs are what we call them (so many acronyms, so little time). Anyway, You'll get printed and pay about 25 bucks and get your history in the mail a few weeks later. Run a credit report on yourself and check that thoroughly too.

Also, having a friend purchase the gun for you is called a straw purchase and very illegal....

but it works.