Dual action polisher...

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I've got to "de-oxidize" my '85 Four Winns hull. Tried today with a drill and buffing tip using 3M Finesse-it. A couple of small spots came out just fine, de-oxidized and glossy. It appears I can get by with this stuff rather than something more aggressive.

But to do the whole thing with this drill is not my idea of a good time, so I'm in the market for a dual action polisher. Suggestions? Comments?

Thanks guys.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Dual action polisher...

You will be better served and satisfied with a right angle polisher from HF or NT ............. there is a learning curve but these are the best tools to use.

The dual action ones usually do not have the power and flexibility of these variable speed ones.

carpolisher.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

^+1 for the Harbor Freight variable speed. $59 regular price, $49 sale price (about half the year)

the orbital polisher is just for applying wax, wont touch oxidation.

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Well, I took your advice, and I'm happy that I did. Got the Harbor Freight unit ($39.99 - going to be sold for $29.00 for three days in August, according to the flyer!).

It's pretty clear to me that a lower power unit would have made this job very difficult to impossible.

Using Meguiar's mirror - medium cut - followed by a pass with 3M's Finesse It, the old gal looks very seductive! Kind of like that good-looking sister-in-law....(!) Would have enclosed pics, but the .jpg file size is too large for the site.

Anyway, thanks for the good advice, guys. You really helped me.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

is your unit variable speed?

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Going to resurrect this thread. I had a coupon for a Drill Master variable speed from HF. Cut 2 coupons out and threw the wrong one away, the one for the polisher. They have them on sale for $30 thru Sept. So, I may be out of luck w/o the coupon.

Just received another flyer. They have a Chicago Electric 7" variable speed polisher/sander for $50 reg $70. Any thoughts on that one? Sounds like some members were happy with the Drill Master polisher.

Heading to the big city tomorrow. All comments welcome
Thanks....

Scott Danforth

Staff member

the chicago electric version with programmable speed is what I use

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Cool. Thanks!

the chicago electric version with programmable speed is what I use

How long have you had it and much use? Are you happy with it? That was one I was looking at......

The Drill Master had better reviews, but it also had a lot more reviews than CE. I read on both where some had issues with the speed varying on its own. I bought a dremel style tool from HB which turned out to be junk. The speed dial sometimes worked and sometimes not........

Some reviewer mentioned this one:
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/porter...andom-orbit-polisher-7424xp.html#.UGcAY5jA8_g

EDIT: It's only 4.5 Amp, 1/2 the amps of the other 2, but has a Electronic variable-speed dial 2,500-6,800 OPM(enough power?)
More spendy, but I wonder if it will last forever for the average home owner?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I'd check all the fitting and shaft sizes on that Porter Cable. They do make good stuff but I still think the HF unit is the better deal unless maybe you are going to use it every day. I take mine out quite regularly to do one little polishing job or another.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I'd check all the fitting and shaft sizes on that Porter Cable. They do make good stuff but I still think the HF unit is the better deal unless maybe you are going to use it every day. I take mine out quite regularly to do one little polishing job or another.

It's really not going to get used that much. Boat mainly, maybe a car or two depending how it does on the boat. Which HF unit do you have? Drill Master or Chicago Electric? I've printed out the coupon and sending it with the wife. May have her pick it up..... Just not sure yet...

Summer Fun

Banned

Chicago Electric

Mine is going on 5yrs old and still working great. :)

attachment.php

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

It's really not going to get used that much. Boat mainly, maybe a car or two depending how it does on the boat. Which HF unit do you have? Drill Master or Chicago Electric? I've printed out the coupon and sending it with the wife. May have her pick it up..... Just not sure yet...

Mine is the Chicago Electric. It is the 9.8 amp, 300-3000 rpm. It uses a dial wheel to adjust the speed. I would stay away from electronics.

It is also my recommendation that you go to an Auto finish shop to get your polishing pads and maybe even the backing plates. My recollection is that what comes with the polisher is not sufficient. I've had mine since 2006.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

I have had mine for a while. borrowed it out to friend who still has it. I love it, and apparently so do my friends

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

I've got that one also. I like that it has a "soft start" and has just the right amount of heft to handle. Don't even bother to put the pads on that it comes with unless you just want to cover yourself with foam bits. +1 on getting pads at an auto body supply, but I've had great success with the Buff and Shine kit I got at Home Depot. Good quality pads that have held up well through several boat and truck polishings. I still use a Meguires's final finishing pad on reds and black paint tho...

204 Escape

Ensign

I too have the one that Scott Danforth has. Works real well !! Was worth every dime.