More painting - Valspar Duramax Exterior / Sherwin Williams Duration Exterior

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Just another one asking if anyone has used either of these two exterior paints & how you liked them.

I used Valspar for one of my interior rooms and was pretty pleased with it although I couldn't get it to cover in one coat. I prefer Glidden for interior, but Valspar had them beat with color selection. Came out looking pretty nice after extra purchase and time though.

wDSC_5768sm.jpg

I used Sherwin Williams exterior paint in the 80's and was pretty pleased with it (to the best of my recollection! :D), but I think paint has come a long way since then. So have prices. Valspar is $36.98 at Lowes, SW Duration is $66.99/gal. :eek::eek::eek:

Captain Shikaboo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: More painting - Valspar Duramax Exterior / Sherwin Williams Duration Exterior

I painted the vinyl siding on one of my duplexes with valspar premium exterior satin 7 years ago. It still looks new. I power washed the bird doo off the back of the garage last summer and it didn't peel (2500 psi) I sprayed it on with a cheap pressure pot after thinning it about 20% with water. I brushed it on exterior wood after I sanded the old paint off the wood. That looks really good still too.

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Re: More painting - Valspar Duramax Exterior / Sherwin Williams Duration Exterior

Thanks for the info, Captain, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the Valspar. It has primer incorporated, but I'll still be spot priming the bare wood areas with oil based primer.

Captain Shikaboo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had to do that around the grage door openings. I ended up using the oil base paint for any of my white trim. I had a lowes account so I used a lot of valspar products :p

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

If you are going to preprime I would use sw a-100 for your finish. Duration is great stuff but it doesnt have the workability that a-100 has and its twice the price. Duration only comes in a matte finish also, so take that into consideration too. Ive used alot of a-100 over the years and I love it, it flows out nice, takes a while to flash so it can be touched up if need be. If you apply a second coat of a-100 it darn near bullit proof.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Thanks BlkY2k, I'll include a trip to SW in my research. I've used SW a long time ago, and really liked it then, but the price they quoted me when I called the store sort of scared me away. Maybe they quoted the most expensive, I'll have to go to the store & chat.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Just an update.

I'm a new fan of the Valspar Duramax from Lowe's with the incorporated primer. Just started painting today and it's thick, smooth and goes on very well. And it does an excellent job covering both white primer and the old paint that is the same color, but a shade or two lighter.

I never did check into the Sherwin Williams because I got involved with other projects & things and just ran out of time and needed to get started. I paid about $37 per gallon.

Maybe I'll update this in 10 years and comment on its durability. :p :D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Just an update.

I'm a new fan of the Valspar Duramax from Lowe's with the incorporated primer. Just started painting today and it's thick, smooth and goes on very well. And it does an excellent job covering both white primer and the old paint that is the same color, but a shade or two lighter.

I never did check into the Sherwin Williams because I got involved with other projects & things and just ran out of time and needed to get started. I paid about $37 per gallon.

Maybe I'll update this in 10 years and comment on its durability. :p :D

MAYBE?? How am I supposed to plan out and suspense my calendar correctly with a Maybe? :D

Good to know about the paint. I can forsee some painting (interior) coming up in the house before the end of the year. Thanks.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

:D:D:D

Last time I painted was 13 years ago, but truth be told, I should have done this paint job two years ago*. Trouble is, I didn't write down what paint I used, but I'm pretty sure it was Sears best exterior.

*Was too busy working on a boat.

bigdee

Commander

I prefer Glidden for interior, but Valspar had them beat with color selection.

???? Glidden can match any color Valspar has. The good thing about Glidden is they keep a record of everthing you buy along with the mix formulas. By the way, Walmart has switched its paint supplier to the same company that makes Glidden.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Just an update....I've been living with the Valspar Duramax Flat for a short while now and I'm finding it was a mistake to get the Flat. I should have bought the Semi-gloss.

After curing for a month or so, the flat is so sensitive to surface marks that every little "touch" on it, even with your hand, shows up on the surface and can't be eliminated. Way too sensitive to marking. I knew that would be the case but didn't think it would be so pronounced. Not so bad on the side of a house I guess, but I have window trim and a door that I painted on an enclosed back porch, and just from normal use, the door especially is beginning to look like crap.

Otherwise, I like it, but I'd recommend getting the semi-gloss if you're going to use it.