Walk behind string trimmer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

halfmoa

Ensign
I'm looking at buying a used Troy Bilt walk behind string trimmer, 6.5hp Briggs, electric start...looks new and the owner said it's only been used about 6 times in 4 years. I was wondering if anyone on here owns a walk behind trimmer and would share their thoughts on the product. Specifically I'm wondering if there's a reason this guy only used it 6 times in 4 years...I asked him but he said he's just getting older. I'm wondering if it's worthless for anything but grass, if saplings tear the string up in a hurry, if the string doesn't last long no matter what you're cutting (the only reason I could think a 6.5hp engine would need electric start is if you're constantly stopping and starting to change string) or if they're great all round beasts. I'm looking to clean up fence rows and woody undergrowth in the woods (briars, invasive shrubs, 1/4" dia seedlings etc).

Thanks!

halfmoa

Ensign
Re: Walk behind string trimmer?

If it were me, I would use something like this.......
http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers/brush-clear.html

Read the intro, it mirrors your thread.........

Thanks WIMUSKY. I'd looked at one of those yesterday at the local farm store. Definately nice but more than three times the price of the equipment I'm looking at now. I back remember when I was young we had a trimmer like the walk behind string trimmer but it had a metal blade. I think that's what I really need but I can't seem to find anything like that for less than a grand.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I have a Stihl. They're very versatile. You don't have to worry about what terrain you're on. You can take it anywhere. It also works great for cleaning up or even making shooting lanes at the deer stand. But, I hear what you're saying, they aren't cheap. You would have it for many years, however..........

RogersJetboat454

Commander

I back remember when I was young we had a trimmer like the walk behind string trimmer but it had a metal blade. I think that's what I really need but I can't seem to find anything like that for less than a grand.

You are talking about a brush mower. Unless you hold out and find a used one on CL, every one I just looked at was pretty far north of a grand or two. This is the cheapest I found; http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200512495_200512495.

halfmoa

Ensign

I use one on my farm, a 6 HP Craftsman. It is not electric start but always fires up on the first pull of the rope. It does a GREAT job at grass and heavy weeds but it is NOT a brush cutter. Plastic string is plastic string regardless of what is spinning it. ;)

With that said, I do have a pair of wire cable "strings" I can put in it and that will tear up a small (say less than an inch in diameter) brush pretty well but it's also dangerous in that it rips out hunks and sends them flying and there is always the risk the wire cable will break. I'm not a big fan of using it that way. (You would not believe how far it can throw a rock with the wire cable!) Just be aware that those cables will do some serious damage to wood posts, etc.

In general they are heavy and can be a handful on anything that isn't a nice flat, level lawn. On the plus side I can take it down my fence line at normal walking speed and never bog it down or have missed spots when the grass/weeds are thick. With 6 HP it goes through them like a hot knife through butter.

I suppose it's like any tool, they shine when used for the intended purpose.

Thanks Bubbs! For $150 I think I'm gonna jump on it and resell it if I don't like it. Surely I can get more out of it than that if it's in good condition.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have both gas and electric trimmers. . .Weed Eater brand, 18". They do a fine job on non-woody grasses.

I want a walk behind because my body can't run either of them for more than about 15 minutes without back and forearm spasms that take hours to ease.

I will be very interested to see what 1/2moa gets and how he likes it.

halfmoa

Ensign

I will be very interested to see what 1/2moa gets and how he likes it.

Me too.

Wait......:p

Anyway, thanks to everyone for chipping in. I'm gonna jump on it and I'll report back with results sooner or later!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I couldn't see cleaning fence lines by hand. It’s bad enough driving the golf cart along side the fence with a 25 gallon chemical applicator full of Roundup in the back and a powered spray nozzle in hand.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

string trimmers for trimming, rough-cut mowers for clearing. And yes, quality is directly proportionate to price

halfmoa

Ensign

I couldn't see cleaning fence lines by hand. It’s bad enough driving the golf cart along side the fence with a 25 gallon chemical applicator full of Roundup in the back and a powered spray nozzle in hand.

I know where you're coming from but I'd sooner tear the weeds out by hand than spray toxic chemicals on my land hence the trimmer....

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

I think it's probably more then you want to spend but what you need is a DR trimmer mower. It has a trimmer head with 4 strings, the strings come in 3 different diameters. I think I paid a little over $900.00 several yrs. ago for the 6.75 hp Pro with the optional "beaver blade". It's like a 12" circular saw blade with a chainsaw chain on it. It will cut through anything including small trees.

http://www.drpower.com/trimmer-mower_features.aspx

halfmoa

Ensign

I've read throughout the course of the day the the trimmer I'm looking at is identical to the DR trimmer you mentioned. I have seen the beaver blades and I'll probably pick one of those up eventually. Thanks Swabbie!

halfmoa

Ensign

Well here she is...

HPIM2217.JPG

HPIM2218.jpg

Four years old, been used 6 times (looked more like zero to me), and only 170 bucks! It's a 6hp electric start :)rolleyes:) with a 22" cutting width. The PO used it to trim the perimeter of his yard and soon realized that 8 acres of yard doesn't really need to be trimmed. I'm not exactly head over heels in love with it but it'll fill a niche that I've needed filled for years. After using it today I can't imagine that they make versions of this thing with less than 6hp...6 almost isn't enough. Prepare to be punished, machine!!!

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

That looks exactly like the DR, hmmm I guess the patent ran out? I bet the beaver blade will go right on.

My DR is rated at 6.75 ft lbs of torque due to the lawsuit a few years ago, I think it's actually about 8 hp.

halfmoa

Ensign

That looks exactly like the DR, hmmm I guess the patent ran out? I bet the beaver blade will go right on.

My DR is rated at 6.75 ft lbs of torque due to the lawsuit a few years ago, I think it's actually about 8 hp.

Can you elaborate on the lawsuit info???? Just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.