Ford F-150 3V 5.4L Timing Chain Replacement Questions

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
I am working on a 04 F-150 w/5.4L 3V triton Engine. I am getting ready to change the timing chain and cam phasers due to a bad phaser. The book says i need a valve spring compressor as well as a cam lock tool. I have the cam lock tool. Has anyone done an inframe change ut on a timing chain w/ phasers? Do i really need the valve spring compressor if i am not changing the cams?

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Ford F-150 3V 5.4L Timing Chain Replacement Questions

I don't think you will need the valve spring compressor unless you are planning on changing out the lifters as well. If your cam phasers are making noise more than likely the lifters will be to. These motors are notorious for that. There really isn't a need to change the timing chains. The have tensioners with them so they hold for a very long time. You will just need the cam wedge tool to keep the timing chain from falling down inside the timing cover.

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer

I bought the truck new in Jan 04, For the first 4 years it mainly sat unless we were going on a trip. It had less than 36000 miles on it Jan 08. Currently it is on the road for a 100 miles daily and has 120000 miles on it. It has had a knowck on start-up occasionally for about three months now. It does not matter on temp or position, just that it is a cold start. The phaser on the left cam (Drivers Side) is where the noise is coming from so with 120000 miles and a 100 miles a day, i am going to go ahead and change the phasers, timing chains, and tensioners. I have purchased the cam lock tool, all the hardware, and will have the A/C reclaimed. Since i have to break the system, I am going to change the orifice tube and dryer as well. Do you have any other suggestions while i have it torn down?

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You may have have a bit of non OEM oil oil filter in the left side cam oil passage (front). The plastic retention rings in non OEM filters come apart and lodge in the left cam oil passage. Seen it many times.

That engine (Triton) pumps a lot of oil topside. Any debris that comes from the filter lodges in that oil passage.

That's where I'd be looking. Fortuneately, that's all topside.

If it truly is the phaser, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It will sound the same at 300K.

Keep good oil in it, correct weight, and use OEM Filters (Motorcraft). FL-920, I believe? Don't have my book in front of me.

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks, i have used motorcraft 5w-20 semi synthetic w/ fram or motorcraft filters since new. The engine has 120000 miles on it and will still be on the full mark with a 4000 mile change interval. The truck is by far the best i have owned in years. Nice power decent economy, and loads of comfort. I thought bout trading it off but after seeing the new ones, i decided mine was still road worthy. I will definitely look at the oil passages and everything while i have it down.

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer

Timing Chain and Phasers are successfully changed out. The engine was clean inside. Both guides showed wear and the left tensioner showed some wear as it was bleeding down . All the noise is gone, the engine ia quiet and develops the power that it has always had. If anyone else attempts this repair, there are a lot of info on the net and you tube but do not follow the steps. Use the steps in the book that tell you how to time the engine. I found a lot of different "ways" to time but the one in the book is right. Set the timing mark on the crack at 6 oclock, the left phaser at 12 oclock, and the right phaser at 11 oclock and the engine is perfectly in time. Many thanks to all you offered advice. I had no debris in any oil passage, and it is a solid 10 hour job. I also changed the water pump and the orifice tube and dryer since i had it torn down that far.

msaunoras

Seaman Apprentice

I caught this too late I see. It is very common to find the timing chain tensioner seals blown out. When you remove them you'd see what I'm talking about. This can result in up to a 2 psi oil pressure loss per head. Oil pressure loss to the head won't pump the hydraulic lash adjusters enough and can cause a noise concern. Also when enough pressure is lost it will affect VCT operation.

Unfortunately we're seeing 5.4L 3V engines dropping like flies for oil pressure issues. The very first measure of diagnosis for any kind of valvetrain or engine noise concern is a base oil pressure test. Anything below 25psi at hot idle is not good. There is always the possibly of a thrust bearing issue. I've chased my tail on several oil pressure problems causing strange concerns.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Interesting. Any chance of an extended warranty offering like they did on the fuel injectors? I've already had to replace the throttle body to the tune of six bills, and they clearly know all about that common issue. I love my Expy, but.......:mad:

msaunoras

Seaman Apprentice

I don't know really. The fuel injector issue was a pretty big deal, if left go long enough it can cause engine failure. I've shortblocked 2 to this day due to bent rods from an injector hanging open. The last expy I pulled the body off :D

I can't even count how many throttle bodies I've replaced