Making female thread hole with JB Weld?

Speakrdude

Ensign
Hello all. I had a bolt brake off down inside a cast iron mounting hole on an Onan Gen Set. I was able to drill it out but was ugly. I sealed the back side of the hole with tape and filled with JB Weld. The depth of hole is approx 1".
My question is, Is JB strong enough for me to tap threads into and move on or do I need to drill and insert a heli-coil. This is a 3/8-16 motor mount bolt, so lots of vibrations, etc.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Making female thread hole with JB Weld?

If you can get to both sides of the hole ........why not use a nut and some long bolt.

Speakrdude

Ensign

yeah, I could do that. Would have to unsnap the windings cover to get to it, but should be no big deal.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I would not trust JB weld for thread tapping .. you should use the through bolts like Bob suggested .. or Heli-coil it.

YD.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

The JB Weld won't hold. It will at first and then will start to crumble once it gets hot.

I second either tapping to the next size bolt (1/2") or thru-bolt with nyloc nut.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The JB Weld won't hold. It will at first and then will start to crumble once it gets hot.

I second either tapping to the next size bolt (1/2") or thru-bolt with nyloc nut.

Next size would be a 7/16" but would be best option.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My question is, Is JB strong enough for me to tap threads into and move on or do I need to drill and insert a heli-coil. This is a 3/8-16 motor mount bolt, so lots of vibrations, etc.

No, I am not that strong. :p

I think your best bet is to drill it out and tap it for 7/16" or even 1/2". I have done this approach a few times and had good results and it works a lot better than a helicoil or timeSert.

If there is room behind, Bob's idea of drilling it clean and using a longer bolt with a nut sounds doable.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

No, I am not that strong. :p

I .. I .. um .. Guys .. thats just classic Iboats right there .. I dont care who you are ! :) :) :)

YD.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I'd try 10 mm. first.
That gives you a free shot....and you can fall back on 7/16" if the hole is already too big.
Tap drill for 10 x 1.5 is a letter "Q"...might get away with 21/64".

boltonranger

Petty Officer 1st Class

One other thing to consider is to use a long bolt and put the epoxy at the back of the hole on the outside. This would keep the nut in place if you need to unscrew the bolt and yet provide the strength of the metal threads.

Like how carmakers weld nuts in place on the bottom of a floor board.
But you'd be using jbweld or the like as your weld. Then you wouldn't need access to the nut in order to remove/re-install the bolt.
-br

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Heli coil over jbweld any day. If you can drill it out, and tap it, do it.

If you can't and want to use epoxy, go the the local industrial supply store (look in yellow pages) and buy some serious epoxy that has very low fillers. If you have epoxy left from a boat project, you are good to go. Boat epoxy generally has no fillers, and is pure epoxy. Thats why it can be a complete disaster if you leave brushes, cups, etc wet with pure epoxy on your work bench. LOL!!!!

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

For a cleaner install use threaded rod and a double nut, that way can be removed as a stud.

glastron09

Cadet

heli coil is the best bet , auto parts stor should have a kit to do this