No announcement yet.

Making female thread hole with JB Weld?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making female thread hole with JB Weld?

Hello all. I had a bolt brake off down inside a cast iron mounting hole on an Onan Gen Set. I was able to drill it out but was ugly. I sealed the back side of the hole with tape and filled with JB Weld. The depth of hole is approx 1".
    My question is, Is JB strong enough for me to tap threads into and move on or do I need to drill and insert a heli-coil. This is a 3/8-16 motor mount bolt, so lots of vibrations, etc.

Re: Making female thread hole with JB Weld?

If you can get to both sides of the hole ........why not use a nut and some long bolt.
    This is a great link to boat specifications http://boatspecs.iboats.com/
    Please, shop iboats first!!

Comment

yeah, I could do that. Would have to unsnap the windings cover to get to it, but should be no big deal.

Comment

I would not trust JB weld for thread tapping .. you should use the through bolts like Bob suggested .. or Heli-coil it.

YD.
        Do your best and caulk the rest

Comment

Could just tap out larger

Comment

The JB Weld won't hold. It will at first and then will start to crumble once it gets hot.

I second either tapping to the next size bolt (1/2") or thru-bolt with nyloc nut.
            2001 Carver Voyager 374 'Stick's Competition'

Something tells me I should be on the water....

If I answer your upholstery questions, it's only because I've been doing it 20+ years...

Comment

Originally posted by Fireman431 View Post
              The JB Weld won't hold. It will at first and then will start to crumble once it gets hot.

I second either tapping to the next size bolt (1/2") or thru-bolt with nyloc nut.
              Next size would be a 7/16" but would be best option.

Comment

http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...ead_Repair.htm
                This is an option, I have used it once and it does work.

Comment

Originally posted by Speakrdude View Post
                  My question is, Is JB strong enough for me to tap threads into and move on or do I need to drill and insert a heli-coil. This is a 3/8-16 motor mount bolt, so lots of vibrations, etc.
                  No, I am not that strong.

I think your best bet is to drill it out and tap it for 7/16" or even 1/2". I have done this approach a few times and had good results and it works a lot better than a helicoil or timeSert.

If there is room behind, Bob's idea of drilling it clean and using a longer bolt with a nut sounds doable.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishing Dude too View Post
                    Could just tap out larger
                    this if possible

Comment

Originally posted by Speakrdude View Post
                      Originally posted by JB View Post
                      No, I am not that strong.
                      I .. I .. um .. Guys .. thats just classic Iboats right there .. I dont care who you are !

YD.
                      Do your best and caulk the rest

Comment

I'd try 10 mm. first.
                        That gives you a free shot....and you can fall back on 7/16" if the hole is already too big.
                        Tap drill for 10 x 1.5 is a letter "Q"...might get away with 21/64".
                        You know that you are a very poor driver when Siri says : "In 1/4 mile pull over and let me out...."

Comment

One other thing to consider is to use a long bolt and put the epoxy at the back of the hole on the outside. This would keep the nut in place if you need to unscrew the bolt and yet provide the strength of the metal threads.

Like how carmakers weld nuts in place on the bottom of a floor board.
                          But you'd be using jbweld or the like as your weld. Then you wouldn't need access to the nut in order to remove/re-install the bolt.
                          -br
                          Boat: '88 Stingray 176 SVB SuperSport
                          Towing by Dodge - 07 Ram Hemi 1500

Comment

Heli coil over jbweld any day. If you can drill it out, and tap it, do it.

If you can't and want to use epoxy, go the the local industrial supply store (look in yellow pages) and buy some serious epoxy that has very low fillers. If you have epoxy left from a boat project, you are good to go. Boat epoxy generally has no fillers, and is pure epoxy. Thats why it can be a complete disaster if you leave brushes, cups, etc wet with pure epoxy on your work bench. LOL!!!!
                            sigpic 1985 Bayliner 1600 Capri Cuddy, 1965 MFG Niagara Custom. >> MFG Video<<. >> MFG Project<< >>Bayliner Hard Top Project<< >>Bayliner Repower Project<<

Comment

For a cleaner install use threaded rod and a double nut, that way can be removed as a stud.

Comment

Working...
                              X