Gravel washing off shingles - normal?

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
I had new shingles installed in 2008- hip roof on a bungalow.
In 2010, I noticed the rain gutters were spilling in spot. I had to pressure wash about 50 pounds of gravel out of them.
I assumed the guys did a poor job of cleaning up when they did the roof - even though the contract specified they clean the gutters.

Today I went up and there's a fair bit of granular in there again - nothing like last year, but it is still washing off the shingles.

Is this normal? or are my shingles defective.

not enuf toys

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Gravel washing off shingles - normal?

That's very normal. I wouldn't woory about it, just clean it out of your gutters

foodfisher

Captain

Sounds like a lot (50#). May be a case of getting what you pay for or very careless handling (lots of sliding together during installation). Either way, you,ve got what you've got. The runnoff will decrease until the roof starts to fail, then it will pick up again w/pieces of backing included. Keep off the roof as much as possible especially when cold.

Moody Blue

Captain

Yep, sounds typical. Once all the gravel has washed off the shingles, it's time to redo the roof again :D. I clean mine out twice a year and there is always a fair quantity of stone in there.

The quality of today's shingles is not what it used to be. Twenty or thirty years ago, a 25 year shingle lasted 20 years or so. Today, a 25yr shingle will only last about 12 years :mad:.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

thanks guys!
iboats is pretty much the best resource for homeowner info on the web.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I put a new premium shingle roof on a couple of years ago and with the weather we have here, it is pretty normal to see the shingle sluffing off gravel.

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

I think nowadays the 25 year shingles last 20 years,if you keep them inside out of the weather!

G

Maybe next time try steel as it is good for 50+ years. Mmmmmm that is if you live long enough to see that stuff fail :rolleyes: The last foof (steel) I put on my work shop was still there after 22yrs but I have moved on. :facepalm:

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

steel should just be standard building code.... then we'd keep all this asphalt out of the landfills

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Steel has it's own problems, and isn't architectually desirable in many cases. Most roofing shingles nowadays are composite asphalt/fiberglass with the topical sand as a UV barrier and coloring. Asphalt shingles are desireable as a recylcing material so not so much a landfill concern anymore. Steel shingles are prone to hail damage as much as asphalt is prone to wind damage, so it's a local condition issue. Steel doesn't handle foot traffic well materialwise or user-friendly for roof access. The newer fiberglass reinforced shingles really do better than the old asphalt ones. Much more resistant to cracking/wind and UV. Some sand loss is perfectly normal, and won't affect performance much since the sand is mostly cosmetic now that the fiberglass is included.