Timing belt replacement cost????

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander
I have a 2000 hyundai Elantra that has about 170,000 miles. I dont know when the timing belt was changed if ever. It runs really well and I want to keep it for a whyle. Someone told me to make sure the timing belt has been changed cause if it goes bad the motor will be junk. I am wondering how much this might cost to have replaced. If anyone has a ballpark guess on what it might cost I would appreciate it very much! Thanks

Vlad D Impeller

Commander
Re: Timing belt replacement cost????

It depends on where you take to get the job done, some places can charge up to $1K or possibly more.
On a 10+ year old Hyundai with 170K miles, if i were in your place i would be looking for something reliable with less mileage, i won't want to spend much to fix a timing belt on that car, now is probably a good time to get rid of it since it seems to be running well.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

Vlad nailed it. The cost of replacing the timing belt could actually exceed the value of the car. Might be time to just sell it and move on.

Those timing belt replacements are expensive. I ran into the very same issue with my daughter's car and we just sold the thing. I told her to make sure that the next car she gets uses a regular steel timing chain, not a belt.

rickryder

Commander

I used to work for a Hyundai dealer back in the early 90's.... I would guess that its a twin cam and yes they do have valve interference if the belt jumps or breaks. The motor will slam the pistons into the valves causing massive damage. Best advice is shop around for your best price on the timing belt job. They should change the belt,cam and crank seals and tensioner. I would say your looking around $800-$1000.....now if the car is in great shape and doesn't owe you a thing have it done....I don't think you can find a great running car for $1000 but you will have to make that call. Just my .02

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Find a local independent mechanic and you can probably get out of there for 5 or 600 dollars which is about 2 car payments on a car that has changed very little, basic transportation.

The parts are no more than 100-200 and remember to replace tensioners,idlers and or a water pump if the are part of the timing belt drive.

SOHC and DOHC chains drives can also be extremely problematic if they are badly designed and or inferior materials are used in the guide construction. Plenty of chain horror stories out there with the engine suffering an untimely death due to an early piston-valve crash.

sstaz

Seaman

At my shop I would qoute you between 450 and 500. That's replacing timing belt, water pump, tensioner, idler and seals. If the car is still in good shape it is worth putting the money into.

Best to put calls in to some reputable shops in your area. Labor rates vary greatly from city to city.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I would recommend calling around, I used to have a late 80's subaru and they said the same thing about those, but I drove that thing for over 200,000 miles and had the belt break 3 times in that period of time, it cost between $275 - $350 to replace each time it happened, just depended on where I was when it happened, as far as metal timing chains, if they are still doing like they did, it is tough to find metal in the Japanese and Korean cars...but I will say a 170,000 on a car of that nature without changing it you have did real good!

mscher

Lieutenant

I recently received a quote for my 1998 Nissan Pathfinder V6, from a popular independant garage, of $280, which seemed pretty cheap. Did not call elsewhere.

I purchased the Nissan belt and paid $200 for the 2 mechanics that work in the truck garage, where I'm employed. They adjusted the brakes also. They were thrilled to get that much money, but they did a great job.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

well i have done all maintnence to the car including replacing the front axles left and right at 120k. the book does not talk about the timing belt though. I had the water pump replaced at 100k. have cv boots inspected at every third oil change. car is in perfect condition and runs well and gets 28 MPG average between city and highway. Id really like to keep it. I know that ive driven it just about all the miles that is on the car so i know its never been driven by a teenager. Never been in even a fender bender or had a shopping cart hit it. The floor mats are in a bag from when i got it from the dealer and been useing floor mats from pep boys. So i think ill take the car to someone and do the timing belt. The way its running i think i can get 400,000 miles out of it! Thanks for all the replies!

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

how hard is it to do the timing belt yourself? i looked and i can see everything pretty easily. I change belts and things that are most likely not needed but the book says to change them at the milage that it says. I will change all the belts and hoses if i do it myself. there was nothing wrong with the water pump but the book said to change it so i did.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

drewmitch,

It is not difficult at all, if you have the proper tools as well as a good shop manual to guide you through the process..

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Just remember that if you decide to have the dealer do it the cost is negotiable. That fact never occurs to many folks. I've found that when I'm friendly but firm I can usually get the job done for less than the service consultant says it will cost. It's also been my experience that the more work I let them do while they've got it the more they're willing to work with me on the cost. Just a thought. May not work at all for you, but it never hurts to ask. The worst they can say is, well ya know........;)

sea_goin_dude

Seaman

Well if the belt brakes, you are looking at 1000 1500 bucks as the valves will hit the pistons etc.
NOTE: Honda has gone back to using a timing CHAIN good for them. I did have a 2.3 liter ford and the belt broke and nothing hit... I replaced the belt myself for about 30 bucks and back on the road again.

j_martin

Admiral

At 180,000 miles, if the belt hasn't sheared a tooth yet, it's just about to. On an interference engine, that means metal to metal collision and serious if not fatal damage.

Like they all said, shop around, and make a decision. If the belt breaks before you get around to replacing either the car or belt, chalk it up to poor planning, not accident.

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer

If you want to keep the car, it is a good idea to change it. If it fails, it is a lot more expensive to fix.

There is no way to compare a timing belt on a hyundai to any other car. There are way too many differences. Some timing belts are a fairly easy job, and others take much more time. The cost of the belt is a small part of the cost, so if you decide to do it yourself, it would be a cheap repair. Be sure to pay attention to the timing marks on the pulleys and align them properly. If they are off by a tooth, it will not run properly. If you get estimates from a couple of shops, they can tell you the labor estimate in hours. To do it at home will probably take you at least 2x as long.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

They are not that hard to do. A transverse engine can be fun though. Not sure what an Elantra has. The hardest part of the job is usually holding the crankshaft from turning if you happen to have an automatic. You can buy a tool to hold it or make one. I welded one up when I did my Toyota Corolla. I bought one for my Lexus GS.

For my Toyota, independent shops wanted $400 and for the Lexus twice as much. No need to go to the dealer. On certain cars, it is a good idea to replace other parts at the same time such as cam seals, main seals and tensioners. Water pump should be replaced too if it is buried by the same items that you need to take off to do the timing belt.

Av8nBill

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You definitely don't want to wait for it to break. Back in the early 80's I had the belt break twice on my Fiat X1/9. The first time I was going about 5 mph in a campsite 2 miles from pavement and it bent every valve in the engine. Adjusting for inflation it cost me way more to fix than you're being quoted now. Looking back, I should have just left it there. :facepalm:
The second time I was blowing down the road at about 70 and only bent one! Go figure.

jeremy_nash

Seaman Apprentice

I just did the timing belt on my dodge neon, and including running around looking for tools, it took me around 4 hours. only the second timing belt I ever did, first one being on a chevy chevette, so that was completely different.total parts outlay was around 150 bucks, but I went with dealer parts for peace of mind.