Furnace Problem

JRJ

Commander
The other morning we woke up to the smell of electrical burning. Turned out to be the forced air unit in the attic. There was about a 1 1/2" hole burned in the control circuit board and some of the attached wiring was melted. The breaker for the furnace was thrown or it could have been bad.

After a new circuit board and R&R the harness, it works fine. The repair guy doesn't seem to know why? Says it might have been the AC that caused the problem. After running the heater, we switched over to AC and it ran fine without a problem.

Any ideas as to what may have caused the circuit board meltdown? I'm wondering if there is a root problem that hasn't been addressed.

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Re: Furnace Problem

Just happens some times. Dust in the wrong place, disruption in the cosmos, etc. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it's a recurring problem. The good news is the breaker tripped.

JRJ

Commander

Thanks for the reply Incoop. So far, so good.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Had what sounds like the exact same situation with a rooftop unit at a sports facility.
The only additional clue in my case was the presence of two small and very charred rodents.
Mus Musculus at work. ;):eek:

lncoop

Vice Admiral

That'll do it too. Did you make some sauce to go with the BBQed rodents?

j_martin

Admiral

Had what sounds like the exact same situation with a rooftop unit at a sports facility.
The only additional clue in my case was the presence of two small and very charred rodents.
Mus Musculus at work. ;):eek:

That's why it is uber important to put the place holder cover back in a computer when you pull out an expansion card. Mice like the nice warm place, and they are in the habit of wetting their bed. It's pretty hard on electronics.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wonder if you could have had a lightening strike. I just went through that and lost not only the circuit board but the gas valve.
You can read about what I had by looking at the thread furnace problems ( http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=445584 ). I had a lot of help from people here and I posted a picture of what the lightening did to my circuit board.