difference between pci ports on mobo

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander
im going to be building a new pc and have not done it in a few years. Last time i built a pc it was back when there was only AGP ports for video. So, can someone tell me the difference between PCI Express x16 slot and PCI Express x1 slot. Id like to know if they are both for video and if so which one is newer or better. Whaterver you can tell me will be very helpful! thanks!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Re: difference between pci ports on mobo

the x1 slot is the very small slot on your motherboard, it is usually used for USB expansion cards, Network adapters and some soundcards. The x16 is used for graphics cards because it has(you guessed it) 16 times the bandwidth to allow better performance in games.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

So the PCI Express x16 is the latest in video graphics right now? I think thats right cause if i shop graphics cards that seems to be the normal hardware format for them. Thanks MTboat!

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

one more thing. whats the best website to go and get a barebones system? I always used allstarshop.com for all my mobo's, mem, proc's, cases and power supplys but i want not to put it all together. I can do it but im lazy so i figure ill get a barebones one maybee if the price is right. Thanks!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

The last couple of times I have built desktop boxes, I bought all of the stuff on ebay, our local shop could not even touch them for prices..