2001 S-10 Fuel Pump

HANGEYE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Need to replace my fuel pump. Any body know the "easy way to do it" :confused:?
It's a 2001 ZR2 extended cab 4X4, 4.3. Any help would be great.

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: 2001 S-10 Fuel Pump

Its in the tank, Right??
Drain, drop, replace pump, replace tank. Done.
A floor jack and a friend will help.

HANGEYE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its in the tank, Right??

I also heard removing the box or cutting a hole in the box above the pump to gain access. Advice please. Any body have experience?

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Droping the tank on that truck is a piece of cake, get yourself a can of Kroil or PB Blaster for the strap bolts but I'm sure there gonna come out for you ok.
Taking the box of is malarky and alot more work.

HANGEYE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Guess I'll try the tank drop tomorrow. I just thought the hole in the bed would be easier, but where to put the hole?:eek: Wish me luck, I'm not too good with mechanics:confused:, better with wood.:cool:

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

I changed my in-tank pump on my Blazer a couple of times. Never fully dropped the tank to do it. I removed the spare (for better access), loosened the forward strap, and removed the rear strap. Supported the tank (with lots of gas still in it) with 2 jack stands and blocks of wood, and tilted the tank down enough so I could get to everything. Took about an hour (less time the second time).

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

Make sure you have a brass or non-sparking chisel for the locking ring. Don't want to read about you goin' boom...

<<)))(((>>

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Sometimes its quicker to remove the bed, depending on how much rust is on the straps, etc.. At the Ford dealership, I would pull the beds off Rangers to replace the pump. A few bed bolts, 3 on the filler neck, unplug the lights and have a couple helpers to move the bed. Took less than an hour start to finish.

And that was great advice about using a non-spark (brass) chisle... I kept a good sized wooden dowel rod for things like that.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Its in the tank, Right??

Pretty much what I did with our old Jimmy when we had it.

dolluper

Captain

Don't forget to loosen your filler neck and ground strap before you lower it ONLY enough to get to your electrical connections,gas line connectors and evap connects