Air powered cut-off tool

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I recently purchased an air powered cut-off tool from Harbor Freight. I have no experience with these so I am not sure what to expect. My air compressor is an upright Cambell Hausfield that goes to around 120 psi. I am not sure of the gallon capacity but the whole unit is around 4 foot tall. The problem that I am having with the cut-off tool is that the compressor cannot keep-up with it. When I am trying to grind or cut through some aluminum, the tool will only last for about 30 secs before the pressure gets so low that the tool will stop grinding. The regulator is set to 90 psi.

Is this because the tool is cheap? Would better quality give me longer run time? Or am I asking too much from this tool?

The compressor works great for short burst tools like air hammers, socket wrench, impact driver, etc.

mcgyver210

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Air powered cut-off tool

I use allot of air tools & I can tell you most compressors have a rating system that tells you how much volume they can supply to the tool. Also most tools have a rating as to how much they consume. Sorry I don't remember the initials used for these ratings.

Now as for a cut off tool compared to air ratchets etc a cut off tool usually needs a higher volume of air than smaller compressors can produce.

dwco5051

Commander

You have to look at the cubic feet per minute (CFM) specifications on both the compressor and the cut off tool. If the tool requires more than the compressor can put out it can not keep up. My compressor has a 4 hp motor on it and both my cutoff tool and my die grinders will only allow about 2 minutes of use before the pressure starts dropping.

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

Your compressor should have a label that shows CFM output. The air tools show the CFM requirement on the box. Basically, you gotta make sure your compressor puts out enough to run the tool.

ThePartsMan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I agree. Cut off tools require a lot of air.
Hard to beat for power to size though.
Yours seems to be working perfectly.

Adjuster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep your compressor is too small for a continuous use tool like a cut off wheel. Also will not be able to run a drill, sander etc. anything that you just pull the trigger and let run. Your compressor is fine for short burst tools like nailers and ratchets etc..

mcgyver210

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a large stand up compressor which can run multiple tools which is why I purchased it. I did have small portables before that just couldn't keep up.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

This doesn't answer your question about your compressor but using that type of blade for cutting aluminum is not only not recommended but is actually dangerous. The aluminum will melt and get clogged in the abrasive material and cause the blade to fail and fly apart. Same reason you never use aluminum on a grinding wheel.

I suggest you use some sort of toothed blade.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Good point Bruce you beat me to the punch aluminum is best severed by a saw jig,sawsall,band and or hack

cribber

Lieutenant

There are cutoff wheels designed for specific materials. You need to use a Non Ferrous type wheel for cutting aluminum, copper, etc... These shed the material and prevent material buildup on the cutting wheel causing premature failure.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have that air compressor and can run my Chicago Pneumatic die grinder with cut off wheel. I use 1/16" thick zip wheels and use the die grinder steady for 5 to ten minutes at a crack a bunch of times when doing ball joints.
I also have some older offshore made angle grinder a little 4-1/2" and that is also nice for grinding and also uses alot of air but from a full tank it will easily run almost continuously for air starts getting low.
I let it fill when it hits 60 and I have nice little markings on my gauges showing where it kicks on and where it kicks off. No problem running a DA really either.
Very happy with this $400 oil type single stage compressor. About 5 years old.

Is the tool freezing up ? Have you oiled it ? Those cheapies usually work decent for medium duty. Do you have any gauges too tell you whats going on in your tank and regulator ? Also you need a good sized 3/8" hose not some of this cheap small diameter crap designed to run a nail gun I see at some big boxes.

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just checked.... the compressor is a 26 gal delivering 5.5scfm @90 psi. However, the grinder also uses 5.5 scfm@ 90 psi. The hose is a standard rubber hose, not the thin coiled yellow hose.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

A lot of times the numbers that are quoted for air delivery are quite optimistic especially if its a chinese compressor. My compressor is never able to keep up with my cutoff tool but it is supposed to.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Cut off tools are ALWAYS air hungry!

When I am cutting thin materials I usually use my air grinder however, if it is a long cut (ie sheet metal) I use the air grinder as a start and go to my sawsall or my jig saw........

Another "cheat" method is to add a few additional air storage tanks to your compressor. I have seen people daisy chain the old propane tanks together for air storage which cuts back on the compressor cycling

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks everyone for the feedback. So it sounds like my cheap HF tool uses the same amount of air as a better model. I will keep it and use it for cutting strap metal, bolts, etc. I borrowed a friends electric handheld grinder to do the job that I needed.

I couldn't use a saw on the welds because I didn't want to cut the metal itself, just the weld. And the location wouldn't let me get the saw in the correct position.

j_martin

Admiral

A bunch of us gathered from all over to help build a cabin add-on for a big poor family living in the woods, well off the grid.

It turned out that the generator we had wouldn't start the compressor we brought to run a bunch of air tools. I found that among us we had about 4 of those cheap pancake compressors. I rigged up a manifold, started them one at a time, and we had plenty of air.

You do what ya gotta do. With the cuttoff tool and the cheep compressor, I twiddle my thumbs a lot.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I guess my compressor is twice the size of the OP's as mine is 60 gallons vertical.

choochooharley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Another thing not mentioned is a 2 stage compressor will work much better for a tool like that. I have a 2 stage 40 or 50 gallon oil free compressor and it keeps up just fine with any tool i want to use cut off tool die grinder anything.....

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Storage capacity has nothing to do with cfm or psi capacities.
If the pump cant supply the volume at the desired psi, then your limited.

A larger capacity tank will only give you a few more seconds of tool use before it peters out.

These big box store "industrial" compressors try to fool the buyer with a big tank and a high hp number. And then use a cheapo small capacity pump on them.