Learning another language...

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Does anyone have experience with one of the commercially available programs for language study? (i.e., Pimsleur, Berlitz, Rosetta Stone, etc.)

I would like to master conversational Spanish, but do not have daily access to Spanish-speaking people. I'm kind of an old f_rt, but to learn this language would enhance some of the things I do.

Comments/observations would be appreciated.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Learning another language...

The programs and the books are nice and I have found ....it depends on which one you feel comfortable with.

The problem is ......"conversational" tends to lean towards the formal and proper. I learned formal and proper german in HS and while it was a nice base for me....... the everyday street language is best.

I would almost encourage you take out an ad on CL or visit a college to seek out spanish students and teacher's

Just keep this in mind....... street conversation in english is very different in various parts of the USA......

So...... which spanish will give you the best use? Formal or local street speach (slang).

LOL The tiny spanish I know from my former military days would get me slapped!!!

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks VT. Yeah, I don't care how we refer to it, I need to have the ability to carry on a rudimentary conversation.

I deal with Spanish-speaking people quite a lot in my (semi-retired) work situation, and while they usually try to converse with me in English, it would be helpful if I could "play it back" in their native language upon occasion. I also deal with Portugese-speaking individuals in this context, but that's too much of a stretch for me. (And occasionally Chinese, Vietnamese, and Korean as well.)

Anyway, thanks again.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Ohhhhhh I do know from my time in the Army.....that Portuguese and other types of Spanish are different. I was stationed with people who were from Mexico, Puerto Rico and from Portuguese speaking (LOL Rhode Island) and the difference is what words meant used to be daily conversations.

I would strongly suggest you make a friend and get the key phrases down pat ;)