Great find

waterinthefuel

Commander
Re: Great find

"Use as an emergency fan belt!"

Ok, now I think they're full of sheet. Ain't no tape on this planet can be used for that. They lost credibility with me on that one. I'm sure it's fine tape, but lets be realistic.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I have seen people hawking it at gun shows...... interesting stuff and it does work as advertised.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Ok, now I think they're full of sheet. Ain't no tape on this planet can be used for that. They lost credibility with me on that one. I'm sure it's fine tape, but lets be realistic.

And you'd be wrong...:eek:

The quality, and varied uses for tapes, continues to expand as the technology of adhesives and material has improved over the years.

I have friends who are aircraft mechanics, and they have used tapes for temporary and semi-permanent repairs for years...legally.

http://www.f4tape.com/?gclid=CNvnzeOwjaUCFca8KgodIH6lMg
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10434561-1.html

A bit of reading would not go astray before you risk agitating Red Green and force him to track you down and kick your ace...;)

http://www.facebook.com/RedGreen

dolluper

Captain

Seat insulation .....thats what we need up north here.. where it gets cold never heard of it,, where do you buy it

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Seat insulation .....thats what we need up north here.. where it gets cold never heard of it,, where do you buy it

check the link dolluper. It has a buy now button. Here is a vid page on that link.

http://www.rescuetape.com/two-guys-garage-cool-tools

I saw some of that at a boat show a couple of years back. It was pretty impressive. Tried to cut a deal with the guy just before closing but he didn't go for it. I always kind of regreted it. I think I will buy the 2" industrial roll. You can always slice it down the middle.

Electrical tape sucks!

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

Ok, looks good on paper (sic) Anybody here actually used any??

Hell, as long as Billy Mayes or that other guy isn't hawking it, I might be interested. And yes, I know B.M. is dead!

<<)))(((>>

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Electrical tape sucks!

What? How can you such evil things!! Electrical tape is Wonderful! Duct tape is even better! You guys and your motorcycle seats, just think about it how many of you actually used duct tape to shut your exwife up? used electrical tape as the ultimate bandage! Everyone knows Mcgyver can build anything with a roll of electrical tape, Bailing wire, three paper clips and a 9 volt battery!!

Tape is going to save the world someday!!!!:D:D

j_martin

Admiral

I once got home using a pair of panty hose for a fan belt. Toughest part was talking the owner out of the underwear.:D

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Last year, I was doing shows for a company that I do consultant work for, and the guy next to me was selling this stuff..we had the same thing in the military, and I can tell it, does every single thing they say it does, I have fixed Hum Vee radiator hose with it, we used it for fan belts and I have fixed uncounted plumbing problems with it. There not lying, this stuff does do what they say it does..

Now, if you don't believe it, the only one that looses is you, cause I use it all the time!

After 26 years in the Military, I can say, I will never venture anywhere again without a roll of it..

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Hell, as long as Billy Mayes or that other guy isn't hawking it, I might be interested. And yes, I know B.M. is dead!

<<)))(((>>

Well, not Billy , but I am using it right now on a plumbing fixture under the house and it is holding up just fine, no leaks and not odors.

This is not a new techonology, it is simply a product we started using in 1992 in the Military and now it has been declassified, I can tell you for a fact, it saved a heck of a lot of lives in Grenada, Panama and Iraq one..

I keep Several Rolls of it on hand at all times..

Dave

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

<<)))(((>>

So, you only have to worry about Vince-the-Sham-Wow- Guy! ;)

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

The rescue tape was actually developed for the Navy, and they kept it to themselves for years, then it started being issue to other branches of the Military over the years. It has only been that last few years that the technology has been declassified and available to the public. It used to be just available at trade shows, now it has shown up on the retail show market and I just saw a TV ad for it last week on one of the paid infomercial type shows.

I imagine before long it will start showing up in the Auto and Marine parts stores..if it hasn't already.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

Ok, I'm intrigued. To those of you with experience with this product, would it be able to be used as a patch in a high pressure power steering line? It's a metal line, like a fuel line, and it's leaking. Can't access one fitting, so I can't just replace the line without lifting the engine. Will this miracle product work?

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I repaired a PS line with duct tape, two wraps, and a hose clamp...worked fine for a while.

You will only be delaying the inevitable.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Beefer,

Yes, once you stretch this stuff and wrap it around a few times, what it actually does is set up a chemical release in the tape and it welds itself together, the only way to get it off is to use a very sharp knife or razor blade. Once bonded, you can't separate it from itself. Another thing we made with it, was O-rings when we couldn't find the right sized one, wrap it around a round object like a dowel or a piece of pipe then roll it off.

I have seen used on Hydraulic hoses, radiator hoses, etc. It is really amazing stuff..

cribber

Lieutenant

You can get this stuff in the plumbing department it's called self sealing tape. There are various strengths coming out and the Mil spec grade is the toughest. And it does work as advertised.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

When I was younger and lived in WA, I had several friends that were Washington State Patrol officers and all of them were issued a pair of panty hose with there emergency kits for just such an occasion...