1989 Cherokee Headlights Not Working (flashing on and off)

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have a 1989 xj. Tonight driving home all the sudden my headlights quit working. the would just turn off, and then come back on after a few seconds. I am supposed to be driving it tomorrow over the mt pass to go elk hunting. So any ideas would be nice on how to fix this.

thanks.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1989 Cherokee Headlights Not Working (flashing on and off)

Double check the wiring in the main harness, it normally comes out of the firewall and then up around the radiator, it will T to go to the passinger and the drivers side, I had the connection come loose one time and it drove me crazy, so much so, that I took it to the dealer, took them all of 20 seconds to fix and cost me $50. Jeeps of certain years are notorious for connections that fail or come loose.

I have a 96 Grand Cherokee that it seems as if a connection is loose just about every time I get in it..

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Double check the wiring in the main harness, it normally comes out of the firewall and then up around the radiator, it will T to go to the passinger and the drivers side, I had the connection come loose one time and it drove me crazy, so much so, that I took it to the dealer, took them all of 20 seconds to fix and cost me $50. Jeeps of certain years are notorious for connections that fail or come loose.

I have a 96 Grand Cherokee that it seems as if a connection is loose just about every time I get in it..

Thanks,

I have checked every connection i can find. And it has quit blinking, but i never found a loose connection. So i don't think i have solved the problem.

I have to say I HATE electrical stuff. Not my cup of tea. In the last year I have dumped over 4k into this thing, and i could sell it for maybe 1k. I am getting tired of spending money to keep fixing it.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Another thing to do, is pull each connection in the chain going to the lights, and double check to make sure they don't have corrosion, I know when I check mine, I pull them apart and clean where needed, then I put a dab of dielectric grease on each connection, in a pinch you can also use Vaseline to help keep moisture out of them, normally blinking on and off when driving is due to a connection being loose or corrosion build up somewhere..don't want you to miss your elk hunting, been there done that, and it gets damn dark out in the woods in the middle of the night!!!

:eek:

By the way, where are you going hunting, I used to live in WA an hunted just about anyplace you can think of over there..

Now in Montana, and at times really miss hunting the Cascades..

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

Something else quick and easy that can cause this is the headlight switch or even the dimmer switch. If the headlight switch is mounted in the dash, ie: not on the turn signal lever it has a internal circuit breaker which can cause exactly what you describe. I would try that before spending a lot of time looking for wiring problems.
GOOD LUCK.

Splat

Lieutenant

Agree with the headlight switch, or a circuit breaker. also does this truck have a floor mounted high beam switch? They are notorious for getting water and salt in them ane shorting out.

Bill

j_martin

Admiral

Agree with the headlight switch, or a circuit breaker. also does this truck have a floor mounted high beam switch? They are notorious for getting water and salt in them ane shorting out.

Bill
Back in the good old days (60's) Ford pickup headlight switches used to overheat and catch fire. Best fix would be decent switches and connectors that can handle the current. Ford's fix, a thermal breaker in the headlight switch. I suspect others have done the same.

Drove one across Montana one night. 8 minutes on, 2 minutes off. Luckily I had a full moon for navigation. Friend riding with me was getting a little upset. I said, "Hey, it's a Ford, and the lights work 80% of the time. That's pretty good."

PGFISHER

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you've had an accident or had a radiator repaired or any work that required panel removal, you may have a bad ground from a loose or improperly installed part. Had a garage paint the underhood panels to make them look good and not rust. I didn't ask for the extra effort, but lost all my grounds when I rewired to stock specs.

dolluper

Captain

bad ground switch or harness

Wingnutt

Petty Officer 1st Class

99% sure it's the headlight switch. I've had a couple go bad over the years and they do what you described. The lights will work fine for a couple of minutes then go off, then a minute or so they will pop back on, then repeat the process.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I took it to the shop on friday, they told me they had fixed the problem, showed me the bad part, and sent me on my way. Friday night i was headed over the Mt. Pass to elk hunt, and all the sudden the flashing headlights return. I stopped by napa, bought a set of off road lights, wired them up and continued on my way.

Hunted all weekend, did not see a single elk. But the off road lights work great!

Tomorrow morning the jeep is headed back to the shop so they can actually fix it this time (i hope).

dolluper

Captain

Yes and what bad part did they show you eh!

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes and what bad part did they show you eh!

They told me the headlight relay was shorting out on the inside. They replaced it, but it did not fix thd problem. It is back at the shop now. It is a different shop, my sisters father inlaw is a mechanic and he is looking at it. I would of taken it to him first, but he was busy till today with other cars.

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It's a LONG time ago that I worked on cars, but as I recall, self-resetting circuit breakers were common for headlights. The theory was that if the circuit began to draw sufficient current to pose a threat to the wiring, the breaker would open the circuit to prevent that. But after the breaker cooled off a bit (they were all thermally actuated in those days) it would close again, enabling the lights. No manual resetting.

This kind of thing would be cyclical - that is, the repetitions would be of about the same duration. So I would ask you if the timing of the on-off cycles seems to be repetitive. (A loose connection or some such would tend to be erratic and vibration sensitive. You don't mention anything like that in your description.)

If they are, and there's no wiring problem, the cause may be the breaker itself. Circuit breakers, like fuses, can fatigue with use over time, and therefore can trip (or blow) with no actual circuit malfunction.

Thus, if your mechanic can't define a specific cause, I'd suggest you locate and replace the circuit breaker for the headlights.

dolluper

Captain

I had one with a simaler problem but you would not believe what the problem was....the person that owned the vehicle had placed some paper on the dash covering the sensor }twilight sentnial}and with defroster goes on high the papers would lift lights go off drop lights go on had a good laugh about that one

D

DJ

Headlight ground(s).

Headlight Switch.

Circuit Breaker.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Probably too old to be relevant technology but my 66 Mustang I had in school would do the same thing.

My FIL took out the headlight switch, drilled out the rivets and opened it up. The contacts were covered in carbon. He wire brushed them clean, bent them a bit to increase contact pressure, screwed the switch body back together and it was perfect from then on...

Man I loved that little 289...

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Those were the days when everything was serviceable! Now the head light switch is glued together, and when it breaks you chuck it in the trash and get a new one.

I think it may be no dice on the headlamps being on a breaker. According to Mitchell on demand Fuse 7 is a 10 Amp fuse under the dash that is for your head lamps. Mitchell lists your vehicle as having a "Headlight Delay Module". This would keep your head lights on for 30-60 seconds after you shut your vehicle off. Mitchell isn't always right, but if you do have one, then I would check it out because it may be faulty too.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

My '96 grand Cherokee has the headlight delay module, I have had problems with it in the past, so if you have the delay circuit you want to make sure they check that as well.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Those were the days when everything was serviceable! Now the head light switch is glued together, and when it breaks you chuck it in the trash and get a new one.

I think it may be no dice on the headlamps being on a breaker. According to Mitchell on demand Fuse 7 is a 10 Amp fuse under the dash that is for your head lamps. Mitchell lists your vehicle as having a "Headlight Delay Module". This would keep your head lights on for 30-60 seconds after you shut your vehicle off. Mitchell isn't always right, but if you do have one, then I would check it out because it may be faulty too.

Yes the jeep does have a headlight delay module. And it seems to work just fine. It is at the shop right now, and I will be picking it up tomorrow.