Recommendation for Brand of Replacement Toyota Radiator?

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hi,

After 17 years, the plastic top tank on my 1993 Camry's radiator has fractured. Can anyone recommend a particular brand of replacement radiator?

Thanks, Chuck

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Recommendation for Brand of Replacement Toyota Radiator?

^^^ +1 on Rockauto. It is where I buy all my parts.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Perhaps a Toyota dealer?

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

The first place I would look is eBay....I bought a new radiator from a parts house on eBay for my Mercedes for 118 bucks shipped.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I just ordered one today for my 4runner and it was not too bad.... a junk yard wanted $150 but I got a new Modine coming for $130

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

I've bought a couple of them off of Ebay and have been very happy with what I got in spite of being Chinese. The tanks were thicker much to my suprise, the row spacing identical, dimensions identical, etc. Both fit perfectly and leak free over a year later. (one in a Jeep Cherokee, the other Toyota 4Runner) Both have a supposed lifetime warranty which is good for as long as you can find the importer that sold it. But, at half the price, I was suprised how good they were.

Get the cheapest one that autozone has....thats all there is to it.

puddle jumper

Captain

From my experience, when I use to work for Toyota only a OEM rad would last. All jobber rads would leek after a year or two. If not find an all aluminum welded rad. There not as expensive as one might think.

TilliamWe

Banned

Ditto! NO "will fits" ever grace my vehicles.

Toyota doesn't make their own radiators. They are Nippon Denso's (I think that's their name) in many cases. So a "just fits" brand might be the ACTUAL OEM FACTORY part.

So what I would consider, is calling your local radiator shop, and see if they have a good A/M replacement, or even the actual OEM part, just not in Toyota's box. Here in Central Illinois, THE radiator shop is Maas Radiator in Bloomington, IL. Not sure about your area.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I just ordered one today for my 4runner and it was not too bad.... a junk yard wanted $150 but I got a new Modine coming for $130

That junk yard sucks.

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That's pretty much been my experience with junk yards as well....just slightly more than what something costs new... :)

I ordered a Spectra Premium from Rockauto this morning. $86.28 including shipping.

We'll see.

There are horror stories on the net regarding most any brand you want to mention. So many "Brands" are nothing more than the label slapped onto the same boxes after they arrive from China.

I run into this issue every time I need to purchase auto parts. The industry should be ashamed of themselves IMHO....

Thanks for the replies guys!

Chuck

cardsrok

Recruit

Toyota doesn't make their own radiators. They are Nippon Denso's (I think that's their name) in many cases. So a "just fits" brand might be the ACTUAL OEM FACTORY part.

So what I would consider, is calling your local radiator shop, and see if they have a good A/M replacement, or even the actual OEM part, just not in Toyota's box. Here in Central Illinois, THE radiator shop is Maas Radiator in Bloomington, IL. Not sure about your area.

He is correct. I work for Toyota and they are the supplier. I bought mine at Autozone for $100.00 with a lifetime warranty.

TilliamWe

Banned

He is correct. I work for Toyota and they are the supplier. I bought mine at Autozone for $100.00 with a lifetime warranty.

Thanks for the confirmation. And thanks also for the info that Autozone carries them.

I worked at a dealership group body shop, and one of the other dealerships in the group was a Toyota dealer. So I saw many wrecked Toyotas. I also saw a lot of parts that came out of Toyota boxes, but had other manufacturers names on them. Radiators were just one of the items.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

That's pretty much been my experience with junk yards as well....just slightly more than what something costs new... :)

I ordered a Spectra Premium from Rockauto this morning. $86.28 including shipping.

We'll see.

There are horror stories on the net regarding most any brand you want to mention. So many "Brands" are nothing more than the label slapped onto the same boxes after they arrive from China.

I run into this issue every time I need to purchase auto parts. The industry should be ashamed of themselves IMHO....

Thanks for the replies guys!

Chuck

The Spectra will serve you well. I have installed dozens and dozens of their radiators, gas tanks, filler necks, etc. It will should look just like the factory radiator (in my experience). Some one else mentioned Modine, They are a good choice too (forgot about them). In reality like others have mentioned, most auto makers don't make there own radiators (short of GM).

I would avoid autozone radiators like the plague. Their construction is usually nothing like the original you pull out. The fitment is questionable at times. And their is a clear difference in the lack of cooling fins VS the factory installed unit.
There is a reason Autozone parts have a lifetime warranty. Autozone would be bankrupted by the lawyers fees for all the class action lawsuits filed against them if they didn't have their warranty.

You mentioned that you have read bad stories about all manufacturers products, but let me ask you this; How many times have you bought a product, any product, and posted on the Internet how great it was when you're satisfied with it? Most people never do this, they only start posting horror stories when somethings bad. Hence a bias to-wards negative product stories.

It would be easy for us all to draw the conclusion that all boats suck, based on the tens of thousands of posts at this website. Of course we all know that saying that wouldn't be true....... most of the time ;):D

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Happy Ending/

The Spectra Premium showed up on the day RockAuto/Fed-X said it would and installation went without a hitch.

Quality of the replacement looks good to me.

Chuck