How many people set thier parking brake every time they park?

How many people set thier parking brake every time they park?

• yes

Votes: 28 37.3%
  • no

Votes: 47 62.7%

• Total voters

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How many people set thier parking brake every time they park?

i think the parking brake is only wired to the rear axle.
and it does not use hydrolics at all, just cables

mscher

Lieutenant

Never on an automatic, but I never used to (Pathfinder man 5sp), until my teenage son, who started driving last year, set the brake on the man trans 5sp Ranger. I'm impressed he is doing something safe, without arguing, without being told. ;)

I drive a big truck, if I'm not moving and my foot is off the brake, the parking brake is set 100% of the time.

fishrdan

Admiral

If I've missed something in hydraulics class, please educate me.

it does not use hydrolics at all, just cables

Yup, it's cable operated, no hydraulics to it.

Actually, it's called an emergency brake, not a parking brake. If your hydraulic brakes fail completely, the E-brake will stop you.

puddle jumper

Captain

Yup, it's cable operated, no hydraulics to it.

Actually, it's called an emergency brake, not a parking brake. If your hydraulic brakes fail completely, the E-brake will stop you.

Actually its called a parking brake and may slow you down or lock up the rear wheels depending on the design of the parking brake. Most people in an emergency situation would never think to apply it.

Modern brakes are designed to give you braking to the wheels if a brake problem happens. After all loosing your brakes is usually a surprise when it happens with no time to think.

You are right all motor vehicles are required by law to have two braking systems one hydraulic and one mechanical.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

I don't understand how the parking brake or any other preload can work. None of the brakes will grab untill the pressure is equal, or proportionally equal in all four, reguardless of how close or far the pads or shoes are from the rotor or drum. If I've missed something in hydraulics class, please educate me.

It helps as normal brake bias is to the front. Even with the tranny in first, it helps slow it furthur. When the brakes are applied, there's slightly more pressure to the rear pads which helps keep things straight. Does not work on SAABs as their park brakes are to the front axles. Try it sometime!

dolluper

Captain

Never use it on my vehicles....have used on some wreaks going into the garage that had leaking lines ,masters,calipers or wheel cylinders...only way to stop them other than a brick

puddle jumper

Captain

I defer this one to Wikipedia:

The most common use for an automobile emergency brake is to keep the vehicle motionless when it is parked, thus the alternative name, parking brake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parking_brake

:D

Every auto manufacture calls it a parking brake. Try ordering parts and read the box.

Call it what you will.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I had one freeze once and that was plenty, so I don't use them.

Freezing in Redding? Ya got to be kiddin me!:p

D

DJ

There is one thing that a lot of people might not realize.

The rear brakes, on many vehicles, are kept in adjustment by use of the parking brake. If you don't "excersize the parking brake" the rear brakes are doing little, if anything, in stopping the vehicle.:eek:

Did you ever wonder why rear brakes might last 100K? There's your answer.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

front brakes are 70% of the total braking force, and the rear 30%

so that is a big reason rears last longer.
There is more momentum and weight on the front axle, therefore more braking pressure.

D

DJ

front brakes are 70% of the total braking force, and the rear 30%

so that is a big reason rears last longer.
There is more momentum and weight on the front axle, therefore more braking pressure.

Agreed and well known. Less than 30% if they do nothing.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

I always set it before the tranny goes into park on the ramp and remove it after shifting to drive when pulling out. Not using the parking brake will make the park Paul bind in the tranny.

perchin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Only at the ramps and on obvious inclines... The whole parking pawl thing just makes me laugh though. I have never had nor heard of one breaking or even wearing out. But I've heard plenty about how it will...

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Never worn one out but I have had them stick really hard... so hard when they finally retract the tranny sounds like you rang a bell. You can tell by the sound it's not healthy for the transmission.

skargo

Banned

I had a couple of Corvair Powerglide power trains in VW busses. That tranny did not have Park, so the parking brake was mandatory (and stuck occasionally, even in FL).

My guess is that all powerglide and maybe some other early automatics lacked Park.

I still use it, but only when stopped on an incline.
Must be a corvair thing. I had a 67 Chevelle and it had a powerglide.

Here's a pic of a 67 Chevelle with park.
pg01.jpg

I use mine when I am backing up to hook up to my trailer, to avoid the little "roll" when you put it into park.
I use it on the ramp too.
Even using the parking brake, my original rear drum shoes lasted 165K miles :eek:
Just changed them yesterday.