Laser Printer Suggestions

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander
We changed our point of sale system at our store, and our old printer (Dell M5200) isn't compatible with the way the new software prints one of the pages. We (wife) own a flowershop, and along with a receipt, we print out an 8.5"x11" work order, and an 'enclosure card' (the little cards that print out your message to the recipient), which is 4" wide by 9" long (trifold). Anyway, the new software requires the enclosure card to be centered in the paper tray, which the Dell doesn't allow for.

We're looking for a mid-level laser printer that has 2 paper trays - 1 500 sheet and one 250 or 500 capacity that can hold the narrow paper in the center. Toner yield and consumption is also a consideration. We have an HP that hold the paper in the center, but toner cost on it is ridiculous. Anyone have any suggestions? Time-to-print first page is also important.

hostage

Lieutenant
Re: Laser Printer Suggestions

Xerox has some nice printers, they really don't specialize in SOHO (small office home office), but they have some great technology. They came out with solid ink not to long ago, which is cheaper and creates less waste then having the standard toner cartridges. They might be a little more expensive in up front costs, but they will really save you in long run.

Here are some of their solid state:
http://www.office.xerox.com/solid-ink/solid-ink-printers/enus.html

Granted I might be a little bias, because Xerox pays my bills.

IMHO HP (our arch rival) also make decent printers, though I really don't care for Cannon or Lexmark.

Shop around and see what meets your needs, just make sure you look at the total cost of ownership. What ever meets your needs go for it.

Are the 4x9's customized to the customer? Sometimes it is cheaper to outsource some projects to Printing company (kinko's, staples, office max, etc.) than printing it yourself. Even if you are doing some custom text it can still be a good idea to get them to print out templates (i.e. nice logo, info on your company) and then you run it through your printer with what ever text you want.

Hope this helps,

Hostage

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

Each order gets a different 4x9. One goes on each arrangement, each with the sender's personal message.

The Colorqube 8570 looks like it might fit the bill, but I'm concerned about toner costs. My initial search for the color blocks shows black at $99, with a yield of only 4,300 pages, or 2.3 cents per page. Currently, our Dell cartridges are $234 (for the non-reman cart.), with a yield of 18,000 pages, or 1.3 cents per page. That's a pretty big difference.

I do like the <5 second first page though.

hostage

Lieutenant

I took a quick look and if you get the 4 sticks instead of the 2 it is $150 instead of $99. This saves you an additional $50 buying 4 at once, instead 2 at a time.

I am unsure of the current printer you have, but printing standards can vary from the published output/cartridges. Also if the printer is end of life they could be selling the left over toner as clearance. If both of these cases don't apply to your printer, then try giving Xerox a call and voice your concern.