Cutting Torch options

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
I need a cutting torch at home. (exhaust, body work)
Are there any products that work with disposable tanks for small jobs without having to rent full size tanks?
What is a plasma cutter?

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Cutting Torch options

I know since I bought the small bottles of OXY/ACETYLENE, life is good!! :)
The neighbour suggested that I put the oxy tank away and go with acetylene and propane instead, it may not be as hot but it works and is cheaper to run.

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer

Plasma is like cutting with a lightning bolt. I have a one of those but they're expensive, and unless you do a lot of cutting you're prob better off with the torch. Makes a finer cut too, but again, expensive. I can't comment on the torch tanks as I have the huge ones but got the garage-sale-deal-of-the-century ($50) for the whole setup with full tanks. :p They are big to lug around though.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Howard,
Just bought a Plasma Cutter off Ebay for $475 dollars delivered. It's a made in China unit, but the guy that sells them lives in NH, makes his phone number & e-mail address known, and has decent reviews.

Thus far I have been fairly impressed. I got a 3-in-1 unit (50A plasma,200A tig/arc welding). The 50A plasma cutter has cut right through 1/2 steel, and does beautiful work with sheet metal (nice and clean, no warping). The stick welder also works great too! Haven't gotten a chance to mess with the TIG welder, still need to get an Argon bottle and a Tungsten rod (+ filler rod).

It was a no-brainer for me. Keep bottles of explosive gas around (insurance companies love that!) that need to be periodically refilled. Or buy a unit that uses electricity and compressed air. Only thing I need to keep a stock of is the consumables for the "torch" but they last a long time, and are much cheaper than filling oxy and acetylene bottles.;)

Heres a link to his web site;

http://www.plasmametalcutter.com/

Heres the combo unit I bought (its more than I payed, because it includes all the TIG accessories);

http://cgi.ebay.com/GIANTTECH-3-in-...50718769532?pt=BI_Welders&hash=item3a6000d17c

And here are the dedicated plasma cutters he sells;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GIAN...Z230514094628QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

http://cgi.ebay.com/GIANTTECH-PLASM...70650698946?pt=BI_Welders&hash=item3f0409ecc2

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer

Howard,
Just bought a Plasma Cutter off Ebay for $475 dollars delivered. It's a made in China unit, but the guy that sells them lives in NH, makes his phone number & e-mail address known, and has decent reviews.

Thus far I have been fairly impressed. I got a 3-in-1 unit (50A plasma,200A tig/arc welding). The 50A plasma cutter has cut right through 1/2 steel, and does beautiful work with sheet metal (nice and clean, no warping). The stick welder also works great too! Haven't gotten a chance to mess with the TIG welder, still need to get an Argon bottle and a Tungsten rod (+ filler rod).

It was a no-brainer for me. Keep bottles of explosive gas around (insurance companies love that!) that need to be periodically refilled. Or buy a unit that uses electricity and compressed air. Only thing I need to keep a stock of is the consumables for the "torch" but they last a long time, and are much cheaper than filling oxy and acetylene bottles.;)

Heres a link to his web site;

http://www.plasmametalcutter.com/

Heres the combo unit I bought (its more than I payed, because it includes all the TIG accessories);

http://cgi.ebay.com/GIANTTECH-3-in-...50718769532?pt=BI_Welders&hash=item3a6000d17c

And here are the dedicated plasma cutters he sells;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GIAN...Z230514094628QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

http://cgi.ebay.com/GIANTTECH-PLASM...70650698946?pt=BI_Welders&hash=item3f0409ecc2

Hey that's a good deal there. I forgot about the China units-- I have heard decent things about them too.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

I think you have to determine how much cutting you need to do if your on a budget in order to justify a plasma. They are wonderful to use but expensive so if your a hobbiest then the oxy/acet torch may be a better solution, if however you can do without the $500-$1500+ then by all means go get a plasma, it will spoil you in short order!

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I think you have to determine how much cutting you need to do if your on a budget in order to justify a plasma. They are wonderful to use but expensive so if your a hobbiest then the oxy/acet torch may be a better solution, if however you can do without the $500-$1500+ then by all means go get a plasma, it will spoil you in short order!

^^^^^^

Pla$ma i$ the way to go if co$t i$ not an i$$ue....:eek:;)

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Yeah, I was a little wary about buying the China special, but then started doing some reading on these "Giant Tech" brand units at the welding forums. Most people were happy and surprised with how well they work. You do have the usual handful of the "This thing is a piece of junk" people that you see on E-bay. Most of them aren't even qualified to operate a vending machine. Or some may have gotten a bad unit, and didn't have the patience to troubleshoot the problem, or call the guy.

I weighed the odds; the fact the unit has a 3yr warranty, and I'm only a hobbyist metal worker, so I took the plunge.

Worst case, if it clapps out on me within the 3 yrs, and the guy wants to be a D!%k about fixing/replacing it, I do have his address too! He's a 2 1/2 hr drive away from me. I could drive to his place, and either politely drop it off, or toss it through a window, his choice.......;):D

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Yeah, I was a little wary about buying the China special, but then started doing some reading on these "Giant Tech" brand units at the welding forums. Most people were happy and surprised with how well they work. You do have the usual handful of the "This thing is a piece of junk" people that you see on E-bay. Most of them aren't even qualified to operate a vending machine. Or some may have gotten a bad unit, and didn't have the patience to troubleshoot the problem, or call the guy.

I weighed the odds; the fact the unit has a 3yr warranty, and I'm only a hobbyist metal worker, so I took the plunge.

Worst case, if it clapps out on me within the 3 yrs, and the guy wants to be a D!%k about fixing/replacing it, I do have his address too! He's a 2 1/2 hr drive away from me. I could drive to his place, and either politely drop it off, or toss it through a window, his choice.......;):D

What you mean mig welding isn't so easy a caveman could do it?

RogersJetboat454

Commander

insanity

Petty Officer 1st Class

A plasma cutter can also cut aluminum and stainless steel a torch kit cant. If I could have a shop I would have both because they both have a good propose but the only thing they both can do is cut. Otherwise I will take my junk into where I work and use all the professional equipment I have at my disposal there.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I bought a plasma cutter too but I decided against the chinese units. Mine was around $1000 so more money but I didn't want to deal with it crapping out on me. To me, its worth spending the estra money on a higher quality machine. I have the Hypertherm Powermax 30. Runs on 110V as well as 220V and I will always be able to get parts and service for it which you may or may not be able to do with the chinese units.

I have a high quality TIG and MIG welder as well.

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

I need a cutting torch at home. (exhaust, body work)
Are there any products that work with disposable tanks for small jobs without having to rent full size tanks?
What is a plasma cutter?
You mention exhaust and body work.Which is what I've always used a torch for-skimming spot welds,and skimming exhaust pipe joints apart.[as in heating the outside metal,and burning it away from the inside metal,leaving the inside piece intact.
I don't think you can do that with a plasma.
If you go with the torch,buy the tanks-they're not that high any more.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Call me old fashion....... a sawsall, a jigsaw, dremel with a fiberglass wheel, an angle grinder and my high speed air cutting tool....... Yes a smoke wrench (torch) is nice but not necessary.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

A plasma cutter can also cut aluminum and stainless steel a torch kit cant. If I could have a shop I would have both because they both have a good propose but the only thing they both can do is cut. Otherwise I will take my junk into where I work and use all the professional equipment I have at my disposal there.

That's funny because I've been torchwelding a lot of iron items for a lot of years. In fact I prefer it for exhaust work.
Mike

insanity

Petty Officer 1st Class

Let me rephrase that the only thing they can both do is cut, as in the plasma isnt going to weld...