Antifreeze tester

ccustomrides

Seaman
I am looking to get one local. I can get the regular automotive antifreeze tester at any auto store but I am looking for one that can test marine/rv.
I live in mi. Also can I use the regular tester on Rv/Marine if so how much off will it be?
I want to get one one for my house up north and all my toys to be on the safe side.
Thanks.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Antifreeze tester

There are different testers for Propolene Glycol (RV anitfreeze) and Ethelene Glycol (Regular green stuff)
Most auto parts stores carry both types.

j_martin

Admiral

So called "safety freeze" is propylene glycol. Maybe a branded floating ball tester would work.

I got one at NAPA Balkamp BK.700-2029

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I live in mi. Also can I use the regular tester on Rv/Marine if so how much off will it be?

As Don says testers are readily available, but you really need one for each type of anti-freeze.
The specific gravities (SG) of the two are markedly different at all concentrations and freezing points, and it is not a linear relationship. The SG values for either, are way off the scale for the other.

Simply stated, there is no realistic way to use one tester for both flavours of A/F and then to somehow convert your readings. :(

ziggy

Admiral

i agree, ethylene vs propylene testers are different.

i disagree that they are readily available at any auto parts store. i went to 5 or 6 different auto parts stores locally. not one had a propylene tester. all were willing to sell me one for ethylene though.

i ended up getting one on line. i just received the fed x moments ago. i think i ordered it early last week.

my invoice says it came from
LEADER AUTOMOTIVE
Old World Automotive Products
3411 WOODHEAD DRIVE
NORTHBOROOK, IL. 60062

i've not used it yet as i just got it.

it's a regular ball type tester by sierra. description is antifreeze & coolant test kit. it specifically says on it "for use with propylene glycol antifreeze only"

5 balls in it
0 floating balls is unsafe
1 floating ball +12*F
2 floating balls -10*F
3 floating balls -26*F
4 floating balls -40*F
5 floating balls -48*F

part # is 083

i've no idea if it's a good one or not. but at least i got something to try out and see...

oh, cost was $2.99 + about $7 shipping.... :rolleyes: whatever.... :( this pocket type tester also came in a box big enough for a basketball... :eek: no wonder shipping was so expensive...

Last edited:

ziggy

Admiral

well, i tried the tester out.

i got 0 balls the first try. tester warm, antifreeze cool outside.
i got 2 balls the second try, tester outside for an hour, antifreeze same place.

so i'm suspicious..

after further reading of the tester it says
"this sierra tester is for use with sierra propylene glycol based coolant only. it will not give accurate test results with conventional ethylene glycol based coolants or with mixures (yes, that's the way it's spelled on the package) of sierra and conventional antifreeze."

reason i wanted to test was i'm using last years zycol, pink, rv, propylene antifreeze. i wanted to see if it was still good.

so now i'm left wondering???
i woulda thought that propylene glycol antifreeze was propylene glycol antifreeze regardless of mfg. either this isn't true and the sierra tester really will only test sierra brand antifreeze. or my last years antifreeze truly isn't up to the deed of -50*F like it says on the bottle.

more research i guess is in order.. darn

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer

Can't you just get a cup of your used anti freeze and stick it in your freezer and see if it holds up? I live in CA so anti freeze is low on the list of things to worry about.
I think freezers get down to around 0 degrees. If you live where it gets colder then that then I suggest you move to a warmer climate.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_tr...=anti+freeze+tester&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

so now i'm left wondering???
i woulda thought that propylene glycol antifreeze was propylene glycol antifreeze regardless of mfg. either this isn't true and the sierra tester really will only test sierra brand antifreeze. or my last years antifreeze truly isn't up to the deed of -50*F like it says on the bottle.

Air doesn't freeze and crack blocks.

Just a thought​

ziggy

Admiral

I think freezers get down to around 0 degrees. If you live where it gets colder then that then I suggest you move to a warmer climate.
funny guy...... yep, it gets colder than 0*F here. if i remember right, -24*F was the cold day last year... burr...

Air doesn't freeze and crack blocks.

Just a thought
that's where my engine stands right now. empty.

i got 3 or 4 balls when taking a test of what i had in the engine and manifold.

i don't know why the discrepancies. but that worry's me. so i guess empty it is this year. no chance of freeze damage.

i did call the mfg. of the tester. they said it will test any manufacturers propylene glycol antifreeze.