I need a bass guitar amp. How big?

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Been playing through my computer, and more recently, through my home stereo equipment (old style, 120W, 2 big boxed speakers with 18" woofers, midrange, and tweets).

But I cannot play along WITH the stereo if I am playing THROUGH the stereo, so I need an amp.

What size will I need for just playing along and getting a good THUMP!?

I have had 20W setups, and ended up giving those away to my nephew. WAY too small. I don't want a small portable. But something that will irritate the neighbors, but still be small enough to throw in the backseat of my truck and take somewhere to jam.

Would I be happy with either of these? They are right around the price I would be happy to spend. The Fender especially is high on my list right now.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Rumble-350-350W-2x10-Bass-Combo-Amp-105805188-i1500545.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gallien...tralight-Bass-Combo-Amp-105342471-i1473232.gc

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander
Re: I need a bass guitar amp. How big?

IMO...if you want "THUMP", go with the GK. The 15" speaker is the key to bottom end{again..IMO}. Ampeg makes a nice starter amp in the BA115 model{$300 range}. I use a GK head{700rb} and a York 4/10 cabinet, though it gives great volume/tone, that low down nasty rumble thump is not quite there in the 10" speakers.

scooper77515

That is nice to know. I guess that is why I much rather play through my 2X18" woofer home stereo system than through either of my litte 20 and 25W amps with 8" and 12" woofers.

scooper77515

Well, ended up at the Guitar Center today (never a good thing, not after payday :D) and tried out several of the amps on my list of 6. Ended up swaying toward the single 15" speaker models. Just sounded better.

Then narrowed it down to the Fender and the Gallien-Krueger, and sales guy tried to get me onto an Ampeg. But the Fender just sounded better, and the wheels are a plus. Downsized from Fender 350W with 2 10" speakers to a Rumble 150 with Nominal 200W and single 15" for around $350. It is very nice.

Sounds good in my little rent house, but I will most likely get in trouble if I get the volume anywhere around 2 of 10 :eek:

Also has a couple of nice added features, built-in overdrive, a Punch and Scoop shaper for a better thump or a better slap, and 4-band equalizer.

Merry Christmas to me :cool:

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Ive been playin bass guitar since 1998 and I have used about every amp/sub out there. The Brand that I have settled on is Hartke.

I use a 500W head with both tube and solid state pre amps and a cabinet with 4 12" aluminum subs.

I play outdoors allot and need the power. Im not saying you need something that big but plug into a Hartke and try it out...

scooper77515

I played through a Hartke with aluminum woofers (at least they looked like aluminum) back when I first started playing bass. It was pretty cool!!!

But at that time way out of my price range, and nowadays, just too much amp.

One of the main features my new amp needed was that it has to fit in my back seat of my truck (fold down seat, with flat fold out tray). So I had 36" X 24" max, and this amp is right there. And still a tight fit getting into the door, but it goes in without damaging my seats or amp.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

So you got one?

Yeah Guitar Center after payday can be deadly.