computer power supply/ CPU problem

Brokenrod

Seaman
OK, asking this question for a friend who is too proud to ask himself on other forums. custom built desktop computer- lights, fans, liquid cooling etc. dont know any details except its an MSI? board. Power supply crapped out while he was burning a DVD, he ordered another power supply, installed it, and this one turned the comp. on for half a second and shut down.
We seemed to narrow it down a bit. everything seems to work ok, until we plug the CPU into the power supply. My question is, does this sound like the motherboard went bad? I dont want to see him throwing money into the wind hoping to fix it.
I know i'm leaving out important details, but its from lack of information. if you need more info to help out, please ask the question and i can find out. Thanks in advance...

ThePartsMan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: computer power supply/ CPU problem

My question is, does this sound like the motherboard went bad?

Yeah it does to me.

BTW. I am no expert. Just a guy that has tinkered with a lot of computers and built one too.

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Could be.

Strip everything you can off the MB..
Remove all extra HDs, run just the main HD, Pull all sound cards, LAN cards, everything.. Video card if you can. Run Onboard. Unplug all SD, cd/dvd writers, floppies, multi drives.

Run the bare minimum you possible can. When you pull all but the minimum ram, reseat the ram.

Make sure the Power supply is plugged in correctly.
Try to start up.. If it starts, start plugging in devices one by one.

Motherboards usually dont "just" go out. There's usually some sort of reason why. Static while plugging something in or a surge.

j_martin

Admiral

On ATX power supplies, the MOBO controls the power supply except for a small keep alive voltage. Some MOBO's are notorious for losing their mind in this area. The Power supply gets blamed, but it's the Mainboard.

It is possible one peripheral is overloading the PS and it's shutting down on that. Do what buzz says to isolate that.

hope it helps
john

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

One other thing to try and I have had it torture me more times than once, check the battery on the MoBo that keeps the BIOS active, normally on boards now a days it is a small about the size of a quarter thin disk battery(CR2032 or CR2016), I have also had boards that I have replaced power supplies on that I have had to reset the BIOS to get it working with the new power supply. You can either remove the BIOS battery let it sit for a while, this will reset the BIOS or you will have a jumper on the board that says BIOS reset...I would check that before tearing everything apart.

Also check the BIOS manufactures website for any BIOS updates, if they have updated the BIOS you will need to flash it to update it and they all provide information on how to do that.

Brokenrod

Seaman

ok, thanks for the help so far. I know he has tried the bare bones setup, and replaced the battery already with a new one, but to no avail. I'll forward these suggestions to him, and i'll keep you posted....

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Another think to try.. Slipped my mind.

Not sure where it is on his MB. But look for the Cmos clear jumper. Might want to reset that.. Pulling the battery should do it, but just in case it holds.

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Another think to try.. Slipped my mind.

Not sure where it is on his MB. But look for the Cmos clear jumper. Might want to reset that.. Pulling the battery should do it, but just in case it holds.

Edit.....
Oops, I seen MT Suggested that.