lawmmower surging non carb related

Florida

Seaman
I have two identical push mowers. One works perfectly, the other one surges and revs up way too high. I took the carb and gas tank off the good mower and installed on the bad mower. The surging was less intense but definitely still there.
Does anyone have any ideas on where to troubleshoot next?
thanks for the help

dolluper

Captain
Re: lawmmower surging non carb related

intake tube loose or Oring at carb and tube worn?cut ...allowing air leak

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

intake tube loose or Oring at carb and tube worn?cut ...allowing air leak

Ditto to that. The surging is likely they governor trying to stabilize the rpm's.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Yes most likely the govenor it could be the type that it actuated by the flywheels cooing viens to a fin and it could be bent and or broken.

Jhoppy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would start buy inspecting the governor and linkage, I have seen grass build up around the governor and/or linkage and cause surging even with the cam driven type grass can make the linkage bind. Clean any build up found and retest.

KRS

Banned

You could crack valve on propane torch (don't light it), and put the torch tip right against the carb gasket mating surfaces; if there is a leak, it'll suck up the propane and rev up the engine. Easy to find leaks.

j_martin

Admiral

One of two things.
1. It's running lean, and the guvernator is opening the throttle when it tries to die. That could be vacuum leak, carb adjustment, moon phase, etc. If you choke it part way and it settles down, this is it.

2. Governor or linkage is just sticky.

hope it helps
John