"Quick" oil change places...

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer
It's been a number of years since this happened, but I think you all might be interested as the topic is still current.

I had a pristine Chrysler New-Yorker - a '77 four-door hardtop, running a huge V-8...don't remember the displacement. I loved the car, even though I didn't have to watch the gas gauge dropping as I drove; if I listened closely, I could almost hear it...!

Anyway, I was in the middle of a divorce process (living in an apartment), it was the middle of winter in Wisconsin, my work situation was in the middle of a re-organization, and I needed an oil change. All the "middles" meant that I wasn't in a good position to change it myself, so I went to a local Pennzoil quick-change station in a Milwaukee suburb. They did the change using the bulk oil from an overhead storage tank.

Following the change, I found my oil-pressure light flickering when the engine was at idle - something I'd never seen that car do. This and a few other signs caused me to question the integrity of the oil change I'd just undergone, so I bit the bullet and told the (soon-to-be) ex that I needed the garage for an hour.

I replaced the oil with a major brand 10W40 and kept the oil I'd removed. As I was, at the time, the maintenance manager for a large brewery, I sent a sample of that oil to our lube supplier for analysis. The results were striking.

He found the viscosity to be equivalent to about 4W, with large amounts of copper and other impurities. He couldn't believe that this was supposed to be 10W40 - his conclusion was that my vehicle had been filled with oil that had already been run significant miles. In short, my oil change had been done with used oil.

Also, not surprisingly, the oil pressure warning was no longer flickering.

I reported this to the operator(s) of the station that had done the change, and they were incredulous. They told me that they used the oil in their own vehicles and had total confidence in it. This changed when I showed them the written report from my supplier.

The next step was to discuss it with the regional people, who wanted a sample of what I had removed. I provided it and, after a couple of days, was offered a free oil change voucher.

I tried to get the state of Wisconsin interested in what was obviously a fraudulent operation (phone calls, etc.), but all I received in return was an envelope of forms to fill out and return to Madison.

As I indicated above, my time and attention was full because of the other matters, and I simply didn't have time or energy to devote to a new pursuit. So I dropped the matter.

I have never had one of these outfits service my vehicles since - I do the oil changes myself.

Has anyone else had similar experiences with one of these shysters? (I mean beyond the phony "inspection" they always perform, coming back with a list of light bulbs they say are out but are actually still working, and so forth.)

Brokenrod

Seaman
Re: "Quick" oil change places...

About 15 yrs ago, my cousin worked at one of the oil change places. He admitted to me that this was a common practice for this shop. He was a shady type of guy and so was the shop.
I don't trust many people to touch any of my vehicles, and i perform 95% of my own repair and maintenance. Dad always said- " If you don't know how to do something, you learn how"

captmello

Captain

I worked in one of those Quick change places while in high school. I can't imagine using used oil. We had bulk oil as well and used it in our own cars like the shop you mention. In the year or so I worked there, I never had a problem with any car that I worked on, nor do I recall hearing about any. They're not all shysters. Too bad we'll never know the whole story about the oil you got in your New Yorker.

TilliamWe

Banned

I have never had any bad experiences, not in a company car, and not with any of those type of shops that we insured. I did, however, have more than one customer blame their faulty transmissions on the quick change place. One was a Suburban with 150k miles and a tow hitch on it. (You decide what that means) The other was a Lexus that the owner insisted the shop put antifreeze into her trans during a flush. Guess what? It was PROVEN (first with an oil analysis and second by the shop doing the trans change) that her radiator had failed internally in the fluid cooler area.
So while a few of you may know dishonest shops, I know dishonest customers.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I know that I use these places more than anyone else here, I drive about a thousand miles per week on average, so that's an oil change every month or so ( I go about 3- 4,000 miles between changes, company vehicles). In fifteen years of doing this I have never had an issue, although I do think about it at times.

I hear about mistakes every now and then, oil drain plugs left out or not tightened, wrong fluid used, there was even a Jiffy Lube location in CA where the standard practice was to not change anything, just top the oil off and send the customer down the road, they were busted and on TV for it.

I've heard of just as many, if not more mistakes made by the average joe that does them at home, so while stuff happens, I wouldn't say its all that common.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I have a Valvoline one close to me that I like and get good service.

Now the possibility is that they did not change the oil at all and what you had analyzed was old oil. The copper and impurities are actually the bearings breaking down. We did oil analysis when I was in the service to keep an eye on my 300 pieces of heavy equipment (I was in a training area so we had allot). The analysis was very accurate and worth the investment.

You can get a true oil analysis done and find out allot.

Back on topic.... ;)......

My FIL was taking his new buick to a dealership for oil changes and found out that they were not doing the filter. He had marked the filter with an X and they never changed it. He stopped using that dealership and GM gave him an extension on his warranty.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Has anyone else had similar experiences with one of these shysters? (I mean beyond the phony "inspection" they always perform, coming back with a list of light bulbs they say are out but are actually still working, and so forth.)

IMO you have no basis on which to casually throw around words like "fraudulent" and "shysters".
Could just as easily have been a disgruntled employee ...or a legitimate mistake.
That's a pretty wide and indiscriminate brush stroke to target an entire commercial segment...:rolleyes:

I've used these places for years with no issues whatsoever.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

IMO you have no basis on which to casually throw around words like "fraudulent" and "shysters".
Could just as easily have been a disgruntled employee ...or a legitimate mistake.
That's a pretty wide and indiscriminate brush stroke to target an entire commercial segment...:rolleyes:

I've used these places for years with no issues whatsoever.

By the same token Tim it is widely regarded that these quick oil change businesses provide poor quality service, I'm sure it is mostly related to their type of business (quick) take for instance everyone knows that if your going for fast food the quality of the product isn't going to be what a decent sit down eatery would be. Yes my analogy could be a stretch but I think it fits well.

I don't ever go to quick oil change businesses, I have been going to the same business for 20 years and the same tech has been servicing my diesel trucks for ten of those, I believe in loyalty and quality service and when a mistake is made I believe that my loyalty will always get me the best result possible and this has yet to fail me.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

I worked at a quicklube while I was going to college. I was there for 4 years and never seen anyone get screwed.