Pressure gauge

gonefishie

Commander
Do you guys think that a water pressure transducer would read air pressure?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Pressure gauge

No. To read air pressure there are different "receiver's" that use much more sensitive sending units due to the water vs air.

Are you looking for air pressure based on altitude? OR barometric pressure which is really important while fishing ;) ?

I have used one of these http://www.opticsplanet.net/brunton-compasses-nomad-v2-pro.html (but I used it for the compass :))

gonefishie

Commander

I'm thinking about pumping compressed air into the water hose on the engine side to accomplish two things: see if hose is blocked somewhere and to test the transducer. This way I don't have to mess with water or moving the boat out of the garage.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Make sure there is water in the hose before the air. It will create a hydraulic pressure and work better then air.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Pressure is pressure, 10 PSI of air, water, or hydraulic it doesn't matter. The Transducer or gauge does not know or care how its produced. If you are using a straight pressure transducer say 0 to 160 PSI in whatever output volts, millivolts or milliamps you should be fine.

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Pressure is pressure, 10 PSI of air, water, or hydraulic it doesn't matter. The Transducer or gauge does not know or care how its produced. If you are using a straight pressure transducer say 0 to 160 PSI in whatever output volts, millivolts or milliamps you should be fine.

I second that...but be sure that what you are measuring is safe for use with the gauge in question, ie: do not use oxygen with any gauge not rated for oxygen because there could be a violent chemical reation.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I use the same cheapy guages for both water and air pressure.