wrong price on gas station sign...do they have to honor it?

perchin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: wrong price on gas station sign...do they have to honor it?

This is a common thing around here too. The signs are constantly wrong...

Now a true problem that I have constantly had around here is that when you start to pump gas, the digital read-out rolls up to about $1.10 to $1.50 before it even starts to pump fuel.:confused:

Last time I know it happened because I was filling a cas can and it struck me as odd that nothing had started to splash into the container and yet I was already being charged over a dollar. I stopped imediatley and brung this to the attendants attention. She said that it because the hose had to fill up first. I said fine, and was not going to bother arguing any further. Just to see what I came out with I again started to fill the container with the same result. When I was done filling a 5 Gallon gas can, the digital read-out said I had pumped 7.2 gallons of fuel....:confused::confused: I promptly called the phone number on the pump to the fed. regulations of fuel or something like that. They have you leave your name, phone number, and a message/complaint.

About two weeks later I got a letter in the mail asking for a reciept from the fuel purchased that day. I sent it to them, and the next week got a refund check from the gas station that I used that day. Funny thing was though, I got no explanation as to what the problem was. Be it the pump was fualty or if the station owner had the pump read-out set too fast:rolleyes:

It's bad enough that the price is high, but to gouge us further is just ridiculous.:mad:

skargo

Banned

This is a common thing around here too. The signs are constantly wrong...

Now a true problem that I have constantly had around here is that when you start to pump gas, the digital read-out rolls up to about $1.10 to $1.50 before it even starts to pump fuel.:confused:

Last time I know it happened because I was filling a cas can and it struck me as odd that nothing had started to splash into the container and yet I was already being charged over a dollar. I stopped imediatley and brung this to the attendants attention. She said that it because the hose had to fill up first. I said fine, and was not going to bother arguing any further. Just to see what I came out with I again started to fill the container with the same result. When I was done filling a 5 Gallon gas can, the digital read-out said I had pumped 7.2 gallons of fuel....:confused::confused: I promptly called the phone number on the pump to the fed. regulations of fuel or something like that. They have you leave your name, phone number, and a message/complaint.

About two weeks later I got a letter in the mail asking for a reciept from the fuel purchased that day. I sent it to them, and the next week got a refund check from the gas station that I used that day. Funny thing was though, I got no explanation as to what the problem was. Be it the pump was fualty or if the station owner had the pump read-out set too fast:rolleyes:

It's bad enough that the price is high, but to gouge us further is just ridiculous.:mad:
WOW, never heard of that.

One thing though about your last statement, high prices do NOT mean the station owner is making a lot of money, it's the opposite most times.
Not that that gives anyone the right to do what they did. I don't even know how they can get away with that with the modern pumps.

I almost bought a gas station 2 years ago, glad i backed out at the last minute.

perchin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, I didn't mean that they were getting rich anyways. The oil companies on the other hand is a whole different matter. Gas stations make money on the convenience items like pop and such. Or like our little store( actual store name) that price that quickly needed $4.25 gallon of milk:eek:

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
Not when they do nothing to correct the mistake after dozens of customers have pointed it out.
I never saw the OP state that.
I never saw the OP state that. :confused:

I responded as if you were making a general statement.
And I stand by my response, because it is highly unlikely that you or I was the very first person to point out the mistake.

skargo

Banned

Every state in the nation does not have a Weight and Measures Enforcement Department for giggles.

Really? What is your point? I know what their purpose is.
I did a LOT of research when I had a deposit down on a gas station. Have you heard of that particular situation? I haven't.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

What burns my keester is you pay more than top dollar for a product but then try looking for a squeegie that isn't shredded, a windshield wash bucket with more than just straight water in the middle of winter, paper towel in the dispenser, and a washroom that doesn't make you lose your lunch.

Yeah, yeah - all the problem of the poor independant dealer, not big bad oil. But still.

The other thing I've noticed at least in Ontario, the major stations along on 400 series highways don't post prices at all on their big roadside signs. You've got to pull off the highway and find a pump to learn the gouge factor. Of course by then you are stopped, the kids have bolted and you just do it.

Yup - I hope there's a special toasty place in the next life for these clowns. :D

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Really? What is your point? I know what their purpose is.
I did a LOT of research when I had a deposit down on a gas station. Have you heard of that particular situation? I haven't.

Yes, I have.
I have also seen the inspector show up un-announced at stations.
Out comes the calibrated volume measureing canisters and he proceeds to fill each one with every grade from every pump.
And if the measure is not within specs, or the pump readings do not match the pump and or station is shut down until they can demonstrate that they are accurate.

And the fines are pretty stiff too.

Just sayin
If the inspector goes to such lengths to insure pumps are accurate, there must be reasons (cheaters) and why the state has to check them on a routine and on going basis.

perchin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, I have.
I have also seen the inspector show up un-announced at stations.
Out comes the calibrated volume measureing canisters and he proceeds to fill each one with every grade from every pump.
And if the measure is not within specs, or the pump readings do not match the pump and or station is shut down until they can demonstrate that they are accurate.

And the fines are pretty stiff too.

Just sayin
If the inspector goes to such lengths to insure pumps are accurate, there must be reasons (cheaters) and why the state has to check them on a routine and on going basis.

precisely..... Further more, they inspect and test frequently when individuals call in Like I did

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

I was watching a news show a year or two ago that showed one scam. What they were showing is some gas station owners were using an illegal computer chip that would pump accurate amounts at certain quantaties. They knew what size containers the inspectors would use, say 5 gals. So if you pumped 5 gals it was spot on. It was the odd amounts that would rip off the consumer. Cant remember the specifics, but there was a way around the inspections...