wrong price on gas station sign...do they have to honor it?

Brokenrod

Seaman
Maybe someone here will know. My local gas station has a large LED sign displaying prices on the front and back. For the past couple of days, both sides of the sign have been malfunctioning, displaying reg unleaded for $.89 instead of $2.89 . The price at the pumps displays correctly. I'm not one to try to get over on anyone, but possibly saving 2 bucks a gallon is ok with me! Does anyone know if a gas station has to honor the price? I'm leaning towards no because the pump is correct, but hey, ya never know.

dwco5051

Commander
Re: wrong price on gas station sign...do they have to honor it?

If it was a nickle off you might have a case. At .89 per gallon you know, he knows and every other reasonable and prudent person knows that the sign is malfunctioning and in error. No case here.

Brokenrod

Seaman

yeah, i figured as much. thought it was worth asking though.

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

We have a station near us that advertises the lowest price in town. Their sign is always 15 cents lower than everyone else is but in very small print under it it says cash price. At the pump the price is 20 cents higher. Making them 5 cents higher than everyone else when you pay with a card. The locals have wised up to this and stay away but the people passing through don?t pay at attention and get suckered in.

superbenk

Commander

We have a station near us that advertises the lowest price in town. Their sign is always 15 cents lower than everyone else is but in very small print under it it says cash price. At the pump the price is 20 cents higher. Making them 5 cents higher than everyone else when you pay with a card. The locals have wised up to this and stay away but the people passing through don?t pay at attention and get suckered in.

A lot of stations in New Jersey do this, I noticed. I live in PA, but when we travel through NJ, you really need to keep that in mind.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Ain't NJ the State where one is not allowed to pump their own gas?

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

The price on the pump always wins..over the sign and over the register inside.

It even says so on a sticker at stations around here. "In case of a discrepancy between the price on the pump and the price at the register, the pump shall be taken as correct."

Brokenrod

Seaman

I grew up in Philly, and worked in Camden NJ. I loved not having to pump my own gas, but that was when gas was still 1.35 a gallon. Jersey- the land of cloverleafs. You gotta get in the right lane to make a left hand turn.

skargo

Banned

A lot of gas stations are owned by human beings. Trying to get them to stick to a wrong price that was accidentally posted is WRONG IMO, they are small business owners trying to make a living.

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I can't remember where I read it. But I read here in WI. The sign means nothing. There is not legal basis a person can stand on. The sign outside is only a courtesy.

You pay what the pump says. I'm friend with a gas station owner, he was telling me one day that he knew someone that went to a station, the pump price was 2 dollars something.. Forget the price. But on the door and counter they had the prices listed. The prices were about 20 cents higher. When this place would do was take what you pumped, then added the extra.. Saying they can't update the pumps for some reason.. Long story short, I guess there was a few fines involved. People with receipts were able to come back to get reimbursement.

You pay what the pump says.

I made this argument once in Milwaukee. Pulled into the station and the person was outside changing the sign. It was about 15 cents lower then normal. Started to pump and noticed that the price was different. When I went inside she rung it up and I told her I would like the sign price please... Nope. no go. "Mistake" by the attendant.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ain't NJ the State where one is not allowed to pump their own gas?

Must be a union thing ... :eek:

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

A lot of gas stations are owned by human beings. Trying to get them to stick to a wrong price that was accidentally posted is WRONG IMO, they are small business owners trying to make a living.
Not when they do nothing to correct the mistake after dozens of customers have pointed it out.

eli_lilly

Chief Petty Officer

I just got scammed by this the last time I took my boat out. I was heading to a ramp about 45 minutes north and thought it would be nice if I supported a local station there instead of dragging the full tank down the highway like I've always done. Well, stupid me, the sign was apparently the cash price, and the credit price ended up being 10 cents higher than any other station in south florida. I didn't notice it because it took six tries before the attendant was able to successfully activate the pump

-E

Jhoppy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

There was a few Nebraska Gas stations that was advertising fuel at a low price on the electronic bill board that was only available one or two of the pumps and the rest of the pumps were priced higher. This is an advertising practice that is wrong. What you have sounds more like a honest mistake. I always check the price on the pump and always avoid the stations that charge higher prices for using a card or try to trick you.

http://journalstar.com/news/state-a...cle_faa1dce6-58fe-5c65-a531-5cf83a72dbe6.html

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

If the price was $3 a gal and you wanted a discount of 2 bucks cuz the sign said a dollar. Would you then pay the extra $2 if the sign said $5 ? Without complaint ?

skargo

Banned

If the price was $3 a gal and you wanted a discount of 2 bucks cuz the pump said a dollar. Would you then pay the extra $2 if the pump said $5 ? Without complaint ?

Ahhhhhh, nice!