Oil Light Flickering

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander
On our delivery vehicle, a 1998 Chrysler Town & Country, the oil light was flickering when we would come to a stop (parking or at a red light), and then go off. Would only happen for a second or two, and doesn't come on when in Park or Neutral. First time this happened was about a week ago, and since then we've changed the oil (every 3k), and I thought it would go away after the oil change. It doesn't happen all the time, in fact, it's happened maybe 10 times in the last week.

Anyone know what's causing this? I don't think the oil pressure is dropping, but...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Oil Light Flickering

I don't think the oil pressure is dropping, but...
Do you know this because you measured it with a mechanical gauge? If not, measure it and you may possibly just have to change the oil pressure sender if the mechanical gauge confirms the oil pressure is ok. May need to find out first what the oil pressure needs to be before the sender indicates low oil pressure.

Brewman61

Ensign

Vehicle is getting up there in age. How many miles?
Original engine?

For starters, could be low oil level, failing oil pump, faulty sender, etc.....

mxfever

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is it the oil psi light or the oil level? My wife had a Saturn that burned oil like mad. When the light came on she knew it was time to add oil. It finally let go at 205,000 miles. Older Chrysler?s are famous for consuming oil when they get up in miles.

dolluper

Captain

check the wire at the oil sender....ifin she runs good ....sender could be bad or loose connector

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oil sender wire, Oil sender itself, or low oil pressure. Just to be sure (we have to ask) is the oil up to level?

I'd go to the auto store, Someplace like Autozone or Advance auto, Buy an oil sender, and rent an oil pressure gauge if you don't own one.

Take the sender out, and put the gauge in. Start the car and read the pressure. If the pressure is low, then you either have a bad oil pump or sludge blockage. If the oil pressure is good, screw the new sender in.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

The oil level is fine. I thought the same thing at first, but since we were scheduled for an oil change last week, I didn't worry about it. Oil was changed last Friday. The car has 122k on it, and it is the original engine. I haven't checked the psi with a gauge, but I'm leaning towards sending unit. Weekend project #2... :p

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You can just pop a new sender on and hope for the best..

But remember this.. It only takes 2.5psi to keep your Oil light from turning on... That isn't enough to keep your engine oiled. You might have plenty of oil pressure when you are driving, but at idle your PSI could be dropping...

I have gauges so it's easy for me to do. But I suggest you rent the gauge and test it as long as you'll have the sender out...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

At that age and mileage my guess would be that you really do have low pressure. Anecdotal evidence..... but I put Mobil 1 and a K&N oil filter in my truck and noticed a significant improvement in oil pressure.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I would have a look and see what my idle speed is at with the car in drive, all the lights on and the heater blower going.
If the idle is not high enough to support these all on at the same time it is time for a tune up, and the reason I suspect that the oil indicator light comes on.
(remember the light goes out in park/neutral, there is no load on the engine)

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This may be a stupid question, but when you stop do the engine RPMs drop real far then catch up again. I have had engines that when I take my foot off the gas to stop the RPMs drop till the engine almost stalls then catches back up. This could be a factor here.

Just went through a problem with one of my cars where the idle was rough. Told the injectors get dirty and it can cause this problem. Got some Lucas upper cylinder lubricant (any parts store for about $5) added to the gas and it helped some. Need to get the injectors cleaned now for a real fix.

If you look at this the injectors are easy to replace. Found a place on the internet where they send you ones that have been cleaned and tested and you send back the cores. About $35 each.
(I was lucky. Found one guy 30 min drive away and arranged to pull the injectors, drive there, get them cleaned while I waited, and reinstalled. $15 each

Just a thought.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

I think I would look at the wire coming off the sender. Especially the side facing the front of the vehicle. And where it comes too close to a hot exhaust manifold or pipe.
Not knowing if a 98 T&C would be routed that way but many do come very close.
Maybe there is a spot on the wire that is grounding out on the exhaust manifold or pipe.
When you come to a stop the wire moves ever so slightly forward, just enough to flicker the light.