Sticking & grinding sliding glass patio door

KRS

Banned
New track cap, two new roller wheel sets (steel ball bearing) and it's like BUTTER !

Time to sit on the couch.... :)

KRS

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Sticking & grinding sliding glass patio door

Here's to a job well done:)

dolluper

Captain

You seem to be awful busy these days....I have lots to do Ifin you don't like that couch to much

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

New track cap, two new roller wheel sets (steel ball bearing) and it's like BUTTER !

Time to sit on the couch.... :)

KRS

How old were your doors? I had that happen to one of mine about 10 or so years ago. That made the doors about 10 years old. The local manufacturer had already abandoned any support for the doors.

My problem probably started when the siding above the door started pushing down on the top door frame. The header above started sagging and was pushing down on the T-111 siding that was nailed to it. In turn, the T-111 was pushing down on the top door frame resulting in worn out nylon rollers.

As the manufacturer no longer supplied new parts I had to buy some generic hardware wheels and adapt them to the original door trucks. It was a real PIA.

I now have another door developing the same problem. The pressure (and relulting deflection) is so great on the top door frame that you can't even lift the door and have the bottom clear the lower track so that you can remove it. I have to jack the frame up just to get the door out.

I will then have to take a skill saw and run it between the top door frame and the overlapping T-111 to relieve the tension.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Gee Boomer! Have you gotten an engineer to look into why the weight supports seem to be failing?

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer

How old were your doors? I had that happen to one of mine about 10 or so years ago. That made the doors about 10 years old. The local manufacturer had already abandoned any support for the doors.

My problem probably started when the siding above the door started pushing down on the top door frame. The header above started sagging and was pushing down on the T-111 siding that was nailed to it. In turn, the T-111 was pushing down on the top door frame resulting in worn out nylon rollers.

As the manufacturer no longer supplied new parts I had to buy some generic hardware wheels and adapt them to the original door trucks. It was a real PIA.

I now have another door developing the same problem. The pressure (and relulting deflection) is so great on the top door frame that you can't even lift the door and have the bottom clear the lower track so that you can remove it. I have to jack the frame up just to get the door out.

I will then have to take a skill saw and run it between the top door frame and the overlapping T-111 to relieve the tension.

Were these 8' doors? I have 3 of them and the same thing is happening. 20yr-old renovation. Seems back then they didn't have beams strong enough to carry the load I guess.... :(

rbh

Fleet Admiral

If the header is sagging, I wonder what they used for material?????
I always was under the impression it was 2x2x10 on 2x4 walls and 3x2x10 on 2x6 walls (crown up)

KRS

Banned

15 year old sliding doors, luckily no noticeable sagging.

Luckily these things fixed it, some other examples on here are much more involved!

KRS