DSL and Phone Lines

RC

Petty Officer 1st Class
When our house was built there was a phone jack installed in the kitchen and master bedroom. At some point someone installed another jack in the family room. The line for this jack starts at the jack from our master bedroom and goes outside our home and into the family room. My question is, since this new line was spliced from our master bedroom jack will it affect DSL speeds? Does the DSL line need to come strait from the phone utility box on the outside of our home? The line that goes into our DSL router has come from this family room jack. We were experiencing some speed issues so I ran a phone line across the room from our kitchen jack and the speeds increased. So either I've got a damaged line that goes to the family room jack or this spliced line is slowing down the speeds.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: DSL and Phone Lines

You do require a filter at each jack or one at the demarkation point.
(telco's cable stops and your inhouse cable starts, right at the protection blocks)

Each line/jack IMO should be home runned to the demarkation point and punched down on a termination block/strip.

Poor terminations can and do include, nicked copper when removing the sheith as well as poor conections do to bad punch down/loose screws at each end of the run (high resistance)

As well the cable outside your house could be streched or the insulation is breaking down (is it worse when wet out???)

rbh

Fleet Admiral

And to add, if you have access to the NID box (box were the protection is)
check for corrosion, if you see the wires/copper are going green, get them changed out or cleaned up, (high resistance fault area), this includes the ground wire.

gonefishie

Commander

I don't think the splice is the problem if it's a good splice. You could have a damaged wire or it could be caused by network traffic. DSL speed depends on the amount of bandwidth available. I wish the make a residential building code that requires a phone punch down block.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

For what it's worth, I just had big DSL problems with Verizon, resulting in 3 visits from 2 different techs over about two weeks. This wasn't my particular problem, but one thing they did say was that DSL hates the flat phone wires, better speeds are realized by round wires. Turns out my problem was finally discovered to be at Verizon, although they never admitted it and my problem magically disappeared after they couldn't find any problem with my line or setup.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

The thing with DSL if I remember correctly, is that you can only be out about 4000-4500 +- meters from the hub with 24 GA cable and about 4500-5200 +- with 22 GA cable

(this was a few years back but it is close, not sure about 19 GA)

If you are in the rurals you probably seen those green or grey boxes that mount on concrete pads, these are the mini central offices with the DSL cards

If you are way out in the rurals and can not get DSL, you are to far from a central office, "OR" there is loading coils (every 6000 feet) somewhere on the cable and the telco has/will not remove them, so you are stuck with dial up.

And lakelover it is in the consistant twists of the cat 3,5,6,7 ??? indoor cable as well as the twists in the OP cable that give it it's range.

Adjuster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Open the box on the outside of your house. There will be a phone jack in there that is directly connected to the incoming line from the pole. It will be the cleanest signal you can get. Use extension cords or whatever it takes to set up your dsl and then see if your speed improves. If so call your dsl company out and have them run you a direct clean line into your home. It only has to go through the wall to the interior. From there use a wireless router to send internet signal to all your computers. It is very inexpensive and very convenient these days to go wireless.

i386

Captain

Open the box on the outside of your house. There will be a phone jack in there that is directly connected to the incoming line from the pole. It will be the cleanest signal you can get. Use extension cords or whatever it takes to set up your dsl and then see if your speed improves. If so call your dsl company out and have them run you a direct clean line into your home. It only has to go through the wall to the interior. From there use a wireless router to send internet signal to all your computers. It is very inexpensive and very convenient these days to go wireless.

^^^ Right on the money!

dolluper

Captain

And don't use any encreption let your neighbours share eh!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

This wasn't my particular problem, but one thing they did say was that DSL hates the flat phone wires, better speeds are realized by round wires.
You probably mean twisted pairs vs flat ribbon. Cat 5 is twisted pairs and because of that is a better controlled impedance with less chance of crosstalk and reflections. Because of this, you are way better off having a home run done for the DSL line that goes to your modem as others have also said.

RC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the reply's. I think I will go the route Adjuster suggested. Seems like a great idea.

j_martin

Admiral

In my house, line is split where it enters. One leg (ordinary twisted station cable) goes to the DSL jack, DSL modem, and router (wired and wireless)

The other leg goes to the kitchen, an isolator (required on DSL lines) a caller ID, and back to a central punch down that feeds star and ladder feeds all over the durned place, including other buildings.

All works well. Only one isolator in the system.