Garbage disposal help

gonefishie

Commander
I have an old Kenmore garbage disposal that had seized up. When I flip the switch the motor just make a low hum and if I leave it on long enough the built in breaker will trip. Does anyone know how this thing come off the sink? The whole assembly can turn very easily. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG00033.jpg
    IMG00033.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG00032.jpg
    IMG00032.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 0

JRJ

Commander
Re: Garbage disposal help

They usually come with a tool to manually spin them, while it is off. If you can't free it up, buy a new one and it will come with instructions for the R&R. Good luck.

scipper77

Commander

I had the exact same thing happen to my disposal once. I couldn't find a problem so I bought a replacement. It wasn't until after I took the old one off that I found the blockage.

It turns out my wife put artichokes down the disposal, and that will guarantee a stuck disposal. What I am getting to is that the opening on the side of the disposal is where the blockage was. I removed the blockage and it ran fine. Maybe you have a similar issue.

foodfisher

Captain

Hex key fits dead center on the bottom to wiggle any jams out. May be rusted tight. Look down into the throat to see this. Removal is: remove dishwasher hose, drain tube, stick the z shaped hex wrench or a screwdriver into the shiny loop in your pic., hold the disposal and turn the loop counterclockwise. There are three loops to aid you. Be sure to support the disposal cause it's awkwardly heavy. Save the elec. cord to use on a new disposal.

gonefishie

Commander

You guys rock! I love this place. There's always someone knows how to do something. I undo the wiring, took the darn thing down and found the hex key on the bottom. I didn't even need to take it down but at least I know how to now. It must be rust cuz I hardly ever put anything down in it. It just happened to be stuck in a position where water couldn't drain. Works fine now. Thanks again.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

I got mine all jammed up when I tried to dispose of a dead cat once. Next time I will know better then to leave its collar and tags on. Duh...:eek::p;)

j_martin

Admiral

I jammed one up on a bone when a plumber friend was visiting. He just grabbed a broom, jammed the handle down in the disposal and rotated the hub backwards with it. Had that bone loose in about a second. Chewed up the end of the broom a bit.

a70eliminator

Captain

Just a trick that I learned in the apts. to clean up the funk that accumilates on the inside edges, take a tray of ice cubes, stuff it full and let er rip, cutter blades and all will clean up, the ice cubes wont hurt a thing.

scipper77

Commander

Lemon wedges will disinfect the disposal and smell good.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Just a trick that I learned in the apts. to clean up the funk that accumilates on the inside edges, take a tray of ice cubes, stuff it full and let er rip, cutter blades and all will clean up, the ice cubes wont hurt a thing.

A cup or so of Pine-Sol w the ice isnt a bad idea either...