Jeep Cherokee Lift Question

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have a 1989 Jeep cherokee XJ. It has been a great rig, and I love driving it.

Here is the question. I have a 3" body lift on it right now (aka suspension blocks, since it is a unibody). I am wanting to add a 3" suspension lift to it as well making it a total of 6". Will i need a longer drive shaft for this? Or am i ok since the 3" is just the body lift.

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Jeep Cherokee Lift Question

It's all suspension lift.. If you want to hit 6" on an XJ you'll want to go with a slip yoke eliminator on the rear driveshaft as well as longer/relocated upper and lower control arms.. hit NAXJA.org for more info on lifting an XJ.

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

An XJ on a 6" lift with short arms will ride like crap especially since you probably aren't going to pony up the money to buy adjustable control arms since you have 3" spacers. Your best bet is to trim a little more if you are looking to put larger tires under it other wise there is no other reason to lift it more.

mxfever

Petty Officer 1st Class

3.5 inches is the highest suggested height you can go without longer control arms. If you use the stock control arms it will through the caster WAY out. Also it will either need a longer track bar or a relocated bracket. The driveshaft should really be the least of your concerns at this point. Like what was mentioned the slip shaft eliminator is the ideal way to go with a 6" lift.

18WCmerc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

dont forget your TC drop boys

i concure with all, your cart will resemble this:

control arms, upper and lowers
leaf packs
SYE kit
TC drop kit
Sway bar links
Drop pitman arm
brake line extensions
diff vent tube extensions
Track bar and drag link
and your gonna need big meats on 6" so your probably gonna have to trim your fenders out biggy time.

if you want an old trick and its a big time secret about a 3" lift kit, and a good one at that, just dig this tid bitty of info....

ford highboy front coils like a 1977 or something.

and the last two/three leafs off an S10, need new center bolts though and pack clamps and you are ready to rock and roll!

not my first rodeo gals!

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks guys for all the comments.

I have decided against going up another 3". I order a 3" kit from rough country. I plan to replace the shocks, springs, and leaf packs. i will also add a leaf to the new leaf packs. Then i will take out the spacers and just go with the true 3" kit. This way I am still the same height as i am now, and I will have all new suspension under it for about $400.

Thanks guys.

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer

I had a red 01 XJ Sport and my setup was fairly simple.. 3" coil spacers up front, AALs in the rear, longer shocks at all 4 corners, 1" TCase drop spacers on the crossmember and some factory takeoff Rubicon wheels & tires.. Plenty of clearance, no rubbing, and it still had nice road manners. Oh, and with those wide MT tires and the 3" of lift I set the toe to 0 and it tracked straight as an arrow. :)

Unfortunately I sold that jeep to a coworker and it was stolen a short time later in st louis city. The officers said it was most like used for joyrides by teenagers.. It was found resting against a fence in gear and in 4HI.. The brakes were burned up pretty good and the tires showed signs of extremely high speed turns (the rubber on the corners looked melted). The coworker's insurance paid for the cosmetic damage and new brakes, the sucker still runs strong.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

you may be the same height but you won't have the same amount of tire clearance. adding the 3 " suspension lift will be fine with the 3" body lift already in it. body lifts only affect linkages and lines that go to or through the body.
your suspension lift will affect u-joint angles and drive shaft lengths. 3" lift you should be fine for shaft length. you may want to lower your transfer case if they have a kit for that in order to lessen your driveline angles.
pitman arm on steeering possibly, we do them with 4" or more, i would imagine it wouldn't hurt with a 3".
there are probably quite a few forums to learn exactly what you need to do as that is becoming a popular vehicle to lift.

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer

It's not really a body lift, XJs are unibody, not body on frame.

you may be the same height but you won't have the same amount of tire clearance. adding the 3 " suspension lift will be fine with the 3" body lift already in it. body lifts only affect linkages and lines that go to or through the body.
your suspension lift will affect u-joint angles and drive shaft lengths. 3" lift you should be fine for shaft length. you may want to lower your transfer case if they have a kit for that in order to lessen your driveline angles.
pitman arm on steeering possibly, we do them with 4" or more, i would imagine it wouldn't hurt with a 3".
there are probably quite a few forums to learn exactly what you need to do as that is becoming a popular vehicle to lift.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

It's not really a body lift, XJs are unibody, not body on frame.

well that changes a lot of things doesn't it. so the current lift must be spacers over the coils then?