Any tech's here use a scope on a regular basis?

JustJason

Vice Admiral
I've been farting around with picking on up. Anyone have any personal experience with a certain brand to go for or stay away from?

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Any tech's here use a scope on a regular basis?

Sure, I use a scopes all the time. They are very useful at looking at things from a very long distance, usually for the intent of high velocity lead poisoning. Sometimes though, the spirally looking lining looks fouled, then I have to use the other scope.

Then I go home to look at the power lines at the panel, and look at at that scope as well. That one is a lot more wavy looking though.

Then I check with my PA in the morning, and as what she saw in the scope for our first patient, and then ask that she send the results to the attending on call.

:p:p:p

roncoop75

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sure, I use a scopes all the time. They are very useful at looking at things from a very long distance, usually for the intent of high velocity lead poisoning. Sometimes though, the spirally looking lining looks fouled, then I have to use the other scope.

Then I go home to look at the power lines at the panel, and look at at that scope as well. That one is a lot more wavy looking though.

Then I check with my PA in the morning, and as what she saw in the scope for our first patient, and then ask that she send the results to the attending on call.

:p:p:p

:p

I just assumed he meant an oscilloscope.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Har har guys! :)

I just assumed he meant an oscilloscope.

I did mean that! Doesn't have to be a full sized crt old school scope. I'm thinking more of the newer digital ones.

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

We tried out a digital one many years back and it wouldn't see what we needed. To slow a sample rate I think. We sent it back and got an analog one. Maybe they are better now.

18WCmerc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes sir, i used mine once a month easy. Snap-on has a great one and can be found on sale from time to time from you local snappy dealer.

90% of the time it was used to inspect cilynders, valves and pistons through the spark plug hole. works great untill with multiple lens for fish eye etc. works great!!

however it is one of those tools that get borrowed more than you use it. but it feels good to have all the goodies!

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Har har guys! :)

I did mean that! Doesn't have to be a full sized crt old school scope. I'm thinking more of the newer digital ones.

Ohh, that kind! Just funnin' ya! Sorry , got nuthin' for you on a digital one, I just use my dad's old one .

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a Rigid model that will plug in to a larger monitor if need be but comes with a color screen for only a couple of hundred bucks. I use it all the time and it works great but it eats batteries especially when using the built in light.
Assuming we are speaking of a borescope.

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

You need to be WAY more specific about your intended use. O'scopes are really diversified now and often targeted toward specific uses. An analog engineer is going to have very different requirements from a digital engineer, versus a software guy that wants to be able to also convert serial data streams to byte values for example.

What do you envision using it for? How many traces? What is your max frequency? Pulse width? What kind of storage depth do you need? Math functions? You get the picture.

Just about everybody makes entry level scopes to full blown, high dollar ones. Tektronix still makes a good scope but they are typically pricey and they gouge you for every feature. LeCroy has some good scopes now with many features built in at no extra cost. Lots of other options.

You may want to look at used equipment. Many dealers on the net and you get good savings compared to new.

I wouldn't even consider an analog scope anymore. Unless you're looking for a boat anchor anyway...

scrambler45

Cadet

I work on Cars and the Snap on Vantage pro is the way to go. If you need reasons or specifics, let me know.

petryshyn

Commander

I bought a new Atten ADS1042C off Ebay for $300 shipping included. Works well for the price.