Any Nylon 66 owner's out there?

mscher

Lieutenant
As a kid, I pined big time for one of these .22's. Read the Remington ads over and over. Could not decide over "Apache Black", or "Mowhawk Brown". Even though I had the $50, my folks did not want a juvenile delinquint with a gun. ;)

Anyway, I my behavior has changed a bit and maybe I can relive a bit of my childhood, plus a semi-auto .22 can be amusing. The are sold for around $200 and up.

Just curious if anyone had one these gun engineering marvels (especially over the years) and if you regularly shoot it.

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Any Nylon 66 owner's out there?

Nope, I never had one, but always wanted one, too.........I never owned my "own" .22 until I was an adult. I got a single shot 16 gauge for my 12th birthday and was allowed to hunt with it without supervision....My dad had the belief that a .22 shot too far and didn't want to have to worry about a stray bullet...Good thinking since we all know that ammo was less than 2 cents each and most people can't shoot a .22 semi-auto without blowing off rounds like Rambo every now and then. Of course for a kid, every now and then would likely be every day.:D

I got my .22 fix filled though by one of my grandfathers. He lived on a farm and owned all of the property on both sides of the road for a mile, so he didn't see to worry about anything "accidentally" getting shot other than a cow. I toted his Remington 550 all over the farm....We still have that old gun. 3 generations have shot the crap out of it for over 50 years and it still shoots good.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Still have one in mowhawk brown and shoot it once in awhile. It is a nice shooting rifle, but kind of a pain to get back together right after a thorough cleaning. It is my favorite tube fed 22. I cant believe the price they are getting out of these at gun shows. I remember paying $65.00 for mine.

The 22 I like to use the most is my ruger 10/22. It is simple to clean and stainless steel to boot.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... I've had/ have some .22 auto-loaders...

But, My Favorite little plinker for knockin' off rabbits,+ chucks in the garden is a Remington Nylon 76....

The lever action sister to the 1 your talkin' about... It's a black 1..
Picked it up years ago from a guy that owed me money,.....
out to 50' I use the iron sights, out to 200', I knock rabbits in the head with the scope....
Sweetest little shooter I've ever owned...;)

i386

Captain

I've had my Ruger 10/22 for 33 years and counting. Never tried the 66.

a70eliminator

Captain

My brother had a nylon 66 it reminded me of the old crossman powermaster. The loader tube inserted into the back of the stock that is a cool gun. I hunted with it a few times and always liked it better, it was more accurate then my 10-22 carbine.

ThumbPkr

Petty Officer 1st Class

A family friend who was a camper from out of state bought me a brand new Harrington Richardson single shot rifle and a carton of ammo.Every time he came up to camp he would bring me another carton of long rifles (500 rounds).I never knew what happened to that rifle,I joined in the army and lots of things happened while I was away.
I got so that I could kill a porcupine in a tree at night without a light by seeing his outline against the sky.As we all know you cannot kill them unless you hit them in the head or they just won't die but I got pretty good at it.
The bounty was $.50 cents each,good money for a teenager in those days:).Ron G

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My half brother had a Nylon 66 and loved it. I used it a few times but just never liked the styling or the "plastic" look.

I had a couple of John Browning designed Winchesters, Mod 1906 pumps. My favorite .22 was (and is) the Browning semi auto .22 made by FN in Belgium. Had it as both a Remington Mod 241 and from FN.

I think my second choice of fairly modern .22s is the Ruger 10-22.

Like mechanically great cars, I want mechanically great guns to have a certain appearance as well as great performance. My Bro's Remington was a great performer, but didn't look to me like a real gun.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

JB,
You'd dislike the Walther 22 for sure!

Attachments

• waltherg22.jpg
    waltherg22.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 0

witenite0560

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've got a brown one. Bought it 2nd hand several years ago. Great little rifle. But, have to agree, it's kind of a pain to clean thoroughly.

WizeOne

Commander

Like JB, I never gave them much credence because of their appearance and construction. But, in fact, they were indestructable.

We used to overfill the rear tubular magazine until you could just start to insert the rod. We'd then place the rifle in front of our groin, putting pressure on the end of the rod. I'm not sure how many rounds that added up to but I think it nearly doubled the capacity. You could then pull the trigger as fast as you could and the rod would slowly recede into the stock.

They never missed a beat. As far as cleaning, I don't think, other than the barrel, we ever did. It blows me away, when I hear current prices. Last I 'member, they were $35.00.

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

Not a Nylon 66, but in my earlier post I mentioned I found my love of .22's shooting my grandfathers Remington 550 that we still have and use at our farm as a beater...I went to a gun show a couple of weeks ago and picked up a nice refinished 1953 model that looks as good as it did when it was new.

Attachments

• tractor 009.jpg
    tractor 009.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 0

WizeOne

Commander

Not a Nylon 66, but in my earlier post I mentioned I found my love of .22's shooting my grandfathers Remington 550 that we still have and use at our farm as a beater...I went to a gun show a couple of weeks ago and picked up a nice refinished 1953 model that looks as good as it did when it was new.

Isn't that the one that will fire, in semi auto mode, .22 shorts, longs and long rifles? I have one of those up in the safe. They were unique. What did you have to give for it?

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

Isn't that the one that will fire, in semi auto mode, .22 shorts, longs and long rifles? I have one of those up in the safe. They were unique. What did you have to give for it?

Yes, it will shoot all three...BTW, so will a Remington 552...I gave $210 for it. They owner did a great job refinishing it. He oil rubbed the stock, added swing swivels, including the correct on that fits the ammo tube, and lightly blued the barrel. He left the receiver in it's original finish, because it was very good. It also had the shell deflector in place, which is usually missing. He included a nice leather sling, and a repo of the owner's manual and take-down guide.

WizeOne

Commander

Yes, it will shoot all three...BTW, so will a Remington 552...I gave $210 for it. They owner did a great job refinishing it. He oil rubbed the stock, added swing swivels, including the correct on that fits the ammo tube, and lightly blued the barrel. He left the receiver in it's original finish, because it was very good. It also had the shell deflector in place, which is usually missing. He included a nice leather sling, and a repo of the owner's manual and take-down guide.

Yeah, I think I have the 552. It does have the deflector. I can see why it might be missing on many. It is kind of clutzy looking. They are pretty unique in that they will cycle and fire all three levels. I don't think there is another brand that will do that.

Whaddya suppose the difference was between the 550 and the 552? One thing I know for certain is that they were made back before they knew how to take shortcuts with plastic and metal castings. They are made of real STEEL!

HANGEYE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the "66" and the Nylon 11. The 11 is a clip fed bolt action. As stated before, they don't look like real guns but they are indistructable. I have had mine for 45 years or so and have had many good days in the field with both. My favorite 22 (I have 7) is a Marlin 883 Bolt in 22 Mag. It will flat out take the head off a squirrel at 100 yards. Makes me laugh every time I see one of those tree rats come out of a tree spinning like a frizbee.:D

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, I think I have the 552. It does have the deflector. I can see why it might be missing on many. It is kind of clutzy looking. They are pretty unique in that they will cycle and fire all three levels. I don't think there is another brand that will do that.

Whaddya suppose the difference was between the 550 and the 552? One thing I know for certain is that they were made back before they knew how to take shortcuts with plastic and metal castings. They are made of real STEEL!

I think they are nearly two different guns. The receiver's are definitely different. The 550 has a once piece stock, unlike the 552 with it's two piece. I'd guess the only thing similar is the barrel and ammo tube. I don't know the measurements of each off the top of my head, but I think the 550 has a much longer barrel.

At any rate, the 552 is most likely a new and improved version of a Remington .22 over the 550.

Attachments

• tractor 011.jpg
    tractor 011.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 0

The_Kid

Chief Petty Officer

I shot one of my friends a few times, but I never owned one. I have an an old JC Higgins model 29 semi auto that's had quite a few rounds put through it.

Attachments

• JCHiggins29.jpg
    JCHiggins29.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 0