Best ways to kill a skunk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmat1

Petty Officer 1st Class
okay, well we have a skunk that lives behind our house, our dog was recently sprayed, and every night working on my car he comes in the garage and hisses at me and suprisingly dosent spray me... So,,, how to kill it??? i cannot sit out all night with my .22, i am too impatient for that, so, what do u guys reccomend?

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Best ways to kill a skunk?

Trap then relocate or .22 to the head. I would shoot it because I wouldnt want to get sprayed.

pmat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

its not getting reloacted, if its alive and in the trap, how am i going to pick up the trap with it alive? it is definitley going to die, its just a question of how and when.

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

My wife's uncle used to get one in their shed every now and then.He had a piece of rubber hose that connected to an LP tank.He drilled a hole through the wall and kept a plug in it.Pull the plug,stick the hose through and open the valve for about ten seconds and gassed it.I don't what, if any, clean-up was involved but the skunks were dead.

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

Put cayenne pepper on the ground, kind of like a solid line around the perimeter of your property, and he won't cross it. He will relocate himself.

pmat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

i dont have any access to traps and/or a propane bomb, anyone got any clever booby traps? i dont want to repel it, i want it dead, i dont want my neighbors pets getting sprayed.I was thinking kind along the lines of food on a fishing hook tied to a cinderblock, but im open for any ideas as long as they dont contain any explosives:(

j_martin

Admiral

Propane is pretty dangerous. The old type of brake cleaner, with trichlorethane, or any chlorinated hydrocarbon in it will put it to sleep permanently.

I prefer to do the job with a scoped 22.

pmat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Propane is pretty dangerous. The old type of brake cleaner, with trichlorethane, or any chlorinated hydrocarbon in it will put it to sleep permanently.

I prefer to do the job with a scoped 22.
Thats what i got.. with a clip :D if i see it and can get good aim on it... it will have 5 long range .22;s in it within seconds. but i dont think i will see it if i sit there in the dark.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have/had a number of skunks on The Hideout. Mostly I leave them alone and they leave me alone. When I had an outdoor dog he was smart enough to stay away from them.

I did have one die under my tool shed after apparently eating a dead mouse that had eaten rat poison. Maybe he ate the rat poison himself. That shed smelled pretty bad for a long time. I found the skunk's mummified remains several years later when I moved the shed. I don't use rat poison anymore.

The only one I worried about moved in under my porch. On advice from the F&W Officer I spread moth balls under there and never saw her again.

If you can locate your skunk's "home" den, try the mothballs. It isn't really necessary to kill the critter if you can get her to move to another location.

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

High speed lead poisoning gets my vote if you are intent on dispatching it.. CB longs work great by CCI, but won't cycle a semi-auto. (quieter in a closed breach than my spring pellet gun too!)

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Last year I had a thread on my brother in law having one in a live trap. Took him a week or two trying to get rid of it once it was in the trap. Good luck on your stinky situation.............SS

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Use a havahart trap and one it is caught approach the trap very quiety and cover it with a canvas or blanket. Pro's trap them and cover the traps after they are caught. If you must dispose of the skunk I have seen people take the entire trap and submerge it into a trash barrel filled with water.

wellsc1

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you must "kill" the critter, at least do it humanely. Gassing it reminds me of concentration camps. Drowning it is not humane. Shoot it and remove it. Trap it and relocate it deep into the woods. In any case, do it humanely. I don't like skunks around my house either, but they are one of Gods creatures too.

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

I live trapped one in my back yard a couple years ago and called Animal Control. They came and got it using the above mentioned blanket method.
No charge, no hassle.
If you do end up relocating, go very far and be very stealthy, here in Michigan that is illegal.

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a front door deck area that critters seem to love to camp under. One summer it was a groundhog, another was a family of skunks. I read ammonia soaked rags would get rid of the groundhog. I soaked pine cones in ammonia instead because I didn't want to retrieve rags from under my deck-- that worked for the groundhog.

For the family of skunks, I tried the ammonia and I tried mothballs but it didn't faze 'em (maybe they're just immune to powerful bad smells :rolleyes:). So I waited until after dark, when they were all out on food patrol, and blocked up their den with bricks. They relocated.

The reason you might want to do that instead of shooting them is not just humane-- 1. if it's a family of skunks and you just kill the mom, you're going to have some scared confused youngsters wandering around, probably more likely to spray you or your dog. 2. If you just kill the skunk(s) and leave a perfectly good den area, another family of skunks or some other critters will move in next spring. Got to get rid of that den.

aspeck

Staff member

The canvas or heavy blanket method over the trap does work - personal experience. Just make sure you can release theh trap with the blanket over it and get out of Dodge fast! Come back for the trap after the skunk has moved on.

Been with people who have shot them, and on many occasions the skunk will release its scent as its body relaxes on death. Not a good option.:eek:

coolguy147

Commander

dude a sniper scope on a .22 would be so cool yet my mom makes me drown the racoons and possums that get trapped :( kinda weair to drag the cage then let it sit there a little

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

Just get a large rabbit style trap(got one from harbor freight) put some fruit in it and use the largest caliber rifle you have so it's humane(also set the trap as far away as possible). It also should be said that skunks are very smart so just throwing a trap out may not work you will have to camouflage it(try covering with brush). Ive shot a raccoon in the head with .22 hollow point and had it ricochet off and he took off. Healed up but then didn't have the sense not to stay away. 12 gauge took care of it.

bsktball55

Seaman

My cousin shot a skunk in the head after trapping it and it sprayed them as it died. It got into their trucks and all over them. He ended up puking from it.
When I was in college, my mammology teacher told us that if we caught a skunk when we were trapping to cover it with a blanket and then they put the cage in a trash bag and hooked it up to the exhaust of the car and killed it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.