How long to season firewood?

dimock44

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How long to season firewood?

Google
Holz Hausen

http://www.thechimneysweep.ca/6seasoningwood.html

It's a German method for quick seasoning and a unique way to stack wood in a free standing pile

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Google
Holz Hausen

http://www.thechimneysweep.ca/6seasoningwood.html

It's a German method for quick seasoning and a unique way to stack wood in a free standing pile

That is awesome! Thanks dimock!! I think I will try that. If/when I do I'll post pics of the woodpile here.

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you can hose down (wet) the split wood each day for a week then the water is assimilated into thwe wood and displaces the sap speeding the drying process by half with most types of wood. This works with most of the wood available here in New Zealand.
We cut down at the end of spring and the wood is ready to burn at the start of winter.
Mind you it rains a lot here at that time so we just let it sit in the weather then dry for a couple of weeks before stacking it away for winter.
Ross

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

As promised, here's a pic of the holz hausen I made. Took a while because I didn't have enough wood to finish and had to get some more. I don't know if it really allows the wood to season any faster, but it's a great way to store a lot of wood freestanding in a small area!

Thanks again to dimock44 for the tip.

holzenhaus_A.jpg

dimock44

Petty Officer 1st Class

Excellent Mike I usually burn about 2 that size each winter. I've only had the heat on a dozen or so time in the last 10 years:)

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Excellent Mike I usually burn about 2 that size each winter. I've only had the heat on a dozen or so time in the last 10 years:)

that'll probably still be for next winter-- I also purchased several face cords of wood that's stacked to the rafters next to the shed in the background there. At $60/face cord, I figure it's about 2/3 of the cost of heating with nat. gas. By the end of this fall and next spring I hope to scrounge up enough free wood to make another holz hausen and have them both ready by the following winter for some free heat!

dimock44

Petty Officer 1st Class

I cut whenever I can. Split oak is about 140 to 160 per cord around here and I have electric heat so I can buy all my wood for one season for about 2 months heating bill and I stay alot warmer. If you scrounge all year you can get alot.:)