95 Cutlass Ciera fuel pump relay....

JustJason

Vice Admiral
95 (09/94 date of manufacture) Olds Gutlass Ciera.... My youngest brothers car. It has a sticking fuel pump relay. I can't for the life of me find the relay. Car runs fine/normal. But every now and then when you shut it off you can still hear the fuel pump run a little.
I don't have a factory service manual. Mike has a haynes that came with the car. The haynes states that all the relays are on the inside of the nose, on the left side. (as facing the car) There are in fact 6 relays there and i've pulled them all, and none of them are it. There is no under hood junction/relay/power box. I've also pulled out the glove box behind the in car fuse panel and nothing there either. I'm going nuts. Anybody here have alldata and mind taking a peek for me? :)
Thanks bunches.
Jason

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 95 Cutlass Ciera fuel pump relay....

3.1?

You are correct and you have actually touched it....LOL... its on the left side, right in front under the hood by the AC compressor clutch and cooling fan relays if the vehicle is running it will still continue to run when you pull the relay out the the oil pressure back up circuit take's over. I don't think it will start with the relay out.
They almost never go bad I doubt its the problem but maybe

#3 lower left.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Hmmm... yes it is a 3.1.
I just double checked, and there is 5 relays and 1 fuse right there on the left side. (the diagram shows 4 relays) With the engine off, I pull the relay out, then i turn the key (KOEO) to run and the pump still primes... and it will start. Am I just not understanding this correctly? I thought with no oil pressure, and the relay out, the pump shouldn't be energizing.
I thought the PCM fires the FP relay, which energizes the FP.... any idea what's in between? I have a wiring diagram (from haynes... so i do know how accurate it is).
Why is it i can find the FP relay in my subaru and my toyota in about 1/2 a second but this is driving me crazy :)
Thanks for you help so far!!
Jason
ps~I'm having a hard time reading some of the numbers, can you PM me a full size pic of that pic?

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Thanks for your help PB,
I'll give it another look tonight when i get home from work. Where did you get that picture... did you scan it, get it from alldata, or is it on the net someplace?
Jason

dolluper

Captain

You don't need a relay for the pump to run since on GM 's the pump is wired in to the oil sending unit,hearing the pump run for awhile at shutdown is normal as long as it's not to long ,if it's lets say for two minutes then check your ground at the back near the tank

Last edited:

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

I have "Mitchell On Demand" and just screened captured the page for you.
I use MWsnap3 for my screen capturing....it rocks!

JustJason

Vice Admiral

dolluper said:
You don't need a relay for the pump to run since on GM 's the pump is wired in to the oil sending unit

what are you talking about I don't need one????? Then why did GM put one in?????
I do not believe the pump to get its power from the oil sending unit, because if it did then how would it prime during cold starts??
If i'm reading the circuit the right way then it's the relay that powers the pump, and if the oil pressure shoots to zero the power is diverted from the pump to ground out via the OP switch.

hmmmm.... i need to do more reading.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Got it figured out... thanks all for the help, especially you PB.

How much does the mitchell on demand cost a month?

dolluper

Captain

So you could get home with a dead relay >>>>> go figure

JustJason

Vice Admiral

yeah i got it figured out. The relay is just for the prime. then after it builds up oil pressure the power is supplied by the OP switch to the pump, and not the relay.

aspeck

Staff member

Also, the A/C and the Fuel Pump relay are the same. If you ever have trouble, just switch them around. In most cases I have seen. for some reason, after you switch them, both the A/C and the Fuel Pump will work just fine ...

slia67

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fuel pumps are more likely to go out in those than a relay.

Doug