Wood filler won't take on stain like it says it will...

Manipulator

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I am refinishing a dining room table that has two dime size gouges. I bought Minwax stain and also Minwax wood filler figuring it would be the best choice considering the same company makes the stain. It will not absorb stain well at all. I am using Minwax Colonial Maple and you can see these areas plain as day. Says right on the wood filler "stainable". Any ideas? I tried to stain the filler with a darker stain and still, it barely changes color.

color (colonial maple)
o_colonialmaple.jpg

Laddies

Banned
Re: Wood filler won't take on stain like it says it will...

In most case when using filler or even a wood plug the stain will not match, so you will need to go to a darker stain with multiple coats, it the different textures or grain of the patch, in some cases we have had to tint the varnish with color but would not recommend this to a amateur as it requires some graining to make it look right. In some cases a penetrating stain will help.

Manipulator

Thanks! I'm going to see if I can darken the two spots further with a real dark stain.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Minwax also sells wood filler that is already colored like their stains. They may have a Colonial Maple wood filler. I've used their Cherry wood filler on wood with their Cherry stain and it matched perfectly. The down side to that product is it's not sandable, but that may not be an issue for you.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You could mix the stain and the filler on a piece of plastic like an artist would mix paint and try that.

Manipulator

Thanks again, thing is this part of the table happens to be the top. It is a solid wood table though. Since this puddy in none hardening, not sure if that will work or not.

Chief101

Chief Petty Officer

Don't use the putty. If you have dime sized holes to patch the best ts to do a wood repair. If the table top is dented you can use water and heat (iron) to swell it back to place. I have taken out some large dents with an iron and wet towel. Chief Chief

newbie4life

Chief Petty Officer

I concur with Chief. Putty is for filling nail holes/gouges on previously finished wood. It's not wood filler. There are other tricks too that make your 'patch' look more like real wood -- for instance, take a pencil, and lightly make short marks (with the grain) on the hardened patch. When stained, it looks like grain.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

i dont see anything in the picture. Is there somewhere in that pic where the stain is not as dark?

Manipulator

Picture was there just to show the color I am using. It's light so its harder to hide the filler.

turfman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I restore old wood things, mainly guns. None of the putty stuff works. If you feel up to it try to replace with a plug. Maple is pretty easy to match grain wise but as said before you're going to have to experiment with stains to match.

Make sure you stain your glue before you apply it also. Most glues won't stain once dried.

And use a taperd plug also.

turfman