irrigation vs shallow well pump what is the difference

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer
I need the pump only for irrigation. The head is about 125 feet.

I have the pump right at lake level but pump it up a hill to the gardens.

Thnx

the well pump is about 50$ more then the irrigation for the same motor size.

tomatolord

Bondo

Staff member
Re: irrigation vs shallow well pump what is the difference

I think you'll find that Well pumps will Draw water,...
And,..
Irrigation will Push water, but not Draw water......

dolluper

Captain

"WELL "said Bondo no pun intended

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Bond-o said:
I think you'll find that Well pumps will Draw water,...
And,..
Irrigation will Push water, but not Draw water......

All true, but in addition, irrigation pumps are considered transfer pumps. They pump at a high gpm but develop very little pressure or suction.

Submersable well pumps do not need to have suction because they are under the water line, but they are capable of very high pressure.

Jet pumps, or surface pumps have to do some of both. They have to be able to suck as well a blow. They are fairly limited in both capacities. To get the most suction (vacumm) out of them they actually need to run water in a loop, an act that increases their ability to suck. But they will never be able to deliver the pressure and volume that a submersible pump can, even when several hundred feet below ground.

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

thanks I only need to draw the water a 3 feet, but shallow pump it is!

Tomatolord

Ezartitan

Recruit
It doesn't matter what type of pump you use as long as it can sustain the necessary 15 gpm.
The pipe sizes in a system will vary. The two things you look at when sizing pipe are friction losses and the velocity of water in the pipe. Too much friction loss will mean pressure losses. If the velocity of the water traveling through the pipe is too high it can cause water hammer, which will, of course, damage lines.
There is no way the HD guy (or anyone else for that matter) can size the piping without doing the calculations necessary for friction losses, etc. Heck, I can't even find anyone at HD that can tell me the difference between a shallow well and deep well pump.https://thehomedweller.com/best-jet-pumps/